Bacon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon?

I'm confused about bacon.. I eat it EVERY DAY. It hasn't had adverse reactions (that I know of) as my weight is doing well and my BP is normal.. Anyway,, I can not afford grass fed, free roaming, organic pigs. I buy regular (bad?) bacon. Sometimes I even get the microwave kind.. Is this even primal anymore? Or if it works so far just keep eating it? Or is it really any danger in me enjoying 3 pieces of bacon a day. Thanks.

3 slices a day is fine. I don't even buy organic or grass fed myself.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I eat a package on the days I eat it. But here bacon is generally packed in 125 to 150 gram packages, so it's not too much. Usually eat it with 3-4 eggs.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Comment

Better than cereal sure, but as a category I wouldn't use cured meat as a primary protein. My "easy" proteins are eggs, canned fish, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

Pastured pork is indeed hard to find but check out the bacon in the butcher case. It's often local with fewer ingredients, and not too expensive.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I try to keep it as a treat due to the less than ideal fatty acid composition. I eat more beef & lamb.
          ------
          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

4 pieces of bacon and 6 eggs = lunch.

3 pieces a day is good.... 6 is probably better.

Comment

I have 3 slices of bacon for breakfast a couple of times a week!

Comment

I've eaten anywhere from 15-50 pieces of the 'bad' bacon every week for over 2 years. Lost 60 lbs, cholesterol improved to optimal #s and it perfect health. I treat it more as a fat along side my protein of eggs. It's cheap, filling and I love bacon.

Comment

GREAT QUESTION....

I had the same question and now its been answered. I have 2 pkgs of the store kind in the fridge I will finish up and then I found a local butcher I will get it from after that.
                  44 F 5'5
                  SW 205.4
                  CW 180.4
                  GW 150

Comment

Trader Joe's sells uncurred bacon pieces for 2.99 a lb. they are tasty.
                    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

I posted the same question a couple months ago, I have continued to eat the 'bad' bacon and all is good.....but I think I will check prices for uncured at Whole Foods...
                      The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                      SW - 192
                      CW - 180
                      GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                        I try to keep it as a treat due to the less than ideal fatty acid composition. I eat more beef & lamb.
                        Is it really less than ideal fatty composition? Please explain.....
                        The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                        SW - 192
                        CW - 180
                        GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                          It's mostly fat and not much protein.

Buuttt..nothing tastes better.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                          Last edited by oceangrl; 09-19-2013, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Get the best bacon that your budget and resources allow and don't sweat it
                            Sandra
                            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                              Paul Jaminet of the Perfect Health Diet fame says this about the fatty acid profile of pork:

The Trouble with Pork, Part 2 - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

You decide for yourself.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X