Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much protein on average do you eat a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    120-200g. I just started eating gelatin and haven't cut my meat consumption accordingly yet.
    I am a new Great Lakes gelatin person. I lurve meat, but it's pretty fun to get the benefit of protein from parts that are so often wasted. Plus the cost savings is good.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
      I am a new Great Lakes gelatin person. I lurve meat, but it's pretty fun to get the benefit of protein from parts that are so often wasted. Plus the cost savings is good.

Just bought Great Lakes via amazon prime. I started out with a small box of Knox to see if I would actually use it.
      ------
      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
        Just bought Great Lakes via amazon prime. I started out with a small box of Knox to see if I would actually use it.
        I didn't try Knox. Not sure why. I think because I want to mix it into liquids more than I want the jello effect.

Comment

I love Great Lakes gelatin. I eat maybe 4-6 TB a day usually. I mix the gelatin with cold water, then add in hot bone broth in the AM and cocoa with water in the PM. It blends better if you follow the directions to mix mix with cold water 1st, then add hot liquid. I don't make jello, I just drink my hot drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanna View Post
            I love Great Lakes gelatin. I eat maybe 4-6 TB a day usually. I mix the gelatin with cold water, then add in hot bone broth in the AM and cocoa with water in the PM. It blends better if you follow the directions to mix mix with cold water 1st, then add hot liquid. I don't make jello, I just drink my hot drinks.
            Well by golly then I am under eating gelatin. Less flesh of meat being replaced by gelatin makes me happy. I get the green can so it mixes right into hot or cold liquids. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuppence View Post
              Thanks. Yes, that's the same - 2g per sachet, 4 sachets in a box. So Derp is having the equivalent of 8 boxes a day?! That would cost me about $21!
              Huh, no, it's 8 packets and costs me like 3 dollars or less.
              Make America Great Again

Comment

6'2" 175-ish male, usually around 150-175 g per day. I tracked intake for awhile and found I was undereating protein. Occasional whey shakes (not every day), mostly meat and a little yogurt. Might try this gelatin in bone broth idea--sounds good.

Comment

You must get the yellow can. You don't have to mess with any of that if you get the green can. Scoop and stir into hot or cold liquids.

Comment

I have the red can - don't know what that means

Comment

6'1" 225, at least 200g/day. Fish, turkey and beef are my proteins of choice.

Comment

I have the red can - don't know what that means
                        There's cow gelatin, pig gelatin, and hydrolyzed cow gelatin. I think the hydrolyzed dissolves in cold liquids?
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by drjoyous View Post
                          200g protein (not meat--yeah pounds of meat). Thanks JoanieL, I don't feel so weird.... Or you and I can form our own cave for the outliers!
                          My respect ladies! What do you eat? Any chance you could share your typical day or even a week (food consumption)? I have no idea how to get more and I have to track my food otherwise my protein would be very low while carbs would go high...

Comment

How I eat is kind of all over the place, but here's something I put together for my journal (and an experiment I was trying):

If you ever wanted to know twelve ways to get 50 grams of protein, here are some:

8 oz of 95/5 grass fed ground beef (304 cals)
                            8 eggs (560 cals)
                            9.5 oz chicken liver (285 cals)
                            2 scoops NOW brand whey isolate (220 cals)
                            8 oz 96/4 ground bison (262 cals)
                            11 oz catfish (291 cals)
                            10 oz chevre (700 cals)
                            9.5 oz chicken thighs (meat only) (323 cals)
                            8.3 oz chicken breast (meat only) (275 cals)
                            6.5 oz pork loin fat trimmed (202 cals)
                            9 oz salmon (297 cals)
                            12 oz squid (274 cals)
                            After I did that list, I also found out that 1% cottage cheese has a nice amount of protein: you'd need to eat about 14.25 oz for 285 calories and 50 grams of protein. All three categories, 1%, 2%, and creamed (which I think is either full fat or the fattiest sold commercially) are good protein sources with the calories ranging from 285 to 414 to get 50 grams of protein.

I eat a lot of the ground beef and bison, a bunch of chicken liver, and probably more than average salmon and squid. Also I regularly eat ground lamb which isn't on the list and has about 5 grams of protein per ounce. I also like egg or egg yolk on top of burgers. Protein shakes have been my nighttime before bed drink lately. And now that I've seen the cottage cheese, it might be a cheap way to get some protein if I can find some with no bgh. I used to like it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on top.

Hope that helps.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks a mill!

Comment

I eat anywhere from 80-120g usually closer to 100. I eat twice a day with a whey shake a few times a week after kettlebells as I find it helps not aggravate an old whiplash injury. My first meal of the day is 3-4 eggs with a couple oz of meat and for dinner I usually have 8oz (raw weight) of meat, veggies, fruit, coconut milk yogurt, etc. I don't find I have a problem getting in enough protein. I find it, esp in the form of meat, the most satisfying of the macros.

Comment

Working...
                                X