The Microwave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Microwave

I’ve heard that the microwave’s radiation alters the molecular composition of the food you are heating and should be avoided. I also remembering hearing not to heat baby food in the microwave because it gets rid of all the nutrients.

What is the general consensus around here about microwave usage?

Arthur

Arthur check this out

http://tinyurl.com/nvqke7

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

work filter won't let me go to that link... have to check it out at home later...

Comment

"Abstract:

Several studies have shown that microwave cooking, if properly used, does not change the nutrient content of foods to a larger extent than conventional heating. In fact, suggests that there is a tendency towards greater retention of many micronutrients with microwaving, probably due to the shorter preparation time. Does not describe non-thermal effects. The main problem with microwaving is the uneven heating of the food, which has raised concern regarding microbiological safety. Microwaving infant formula and breast milk has become increasingly popular. The content of nutrients and antibacterial factors in milk are maintained unchanged provided the final temperature does not exceed 60°C. "

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
        "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

My ex had a microwave, I experimented with it and found some things tasted just plain nasty. We largely only used it for heating stuff up, not for cooking.

She got to keep it and I don't miss it at all.

Comment

"Do not use MW" is in the list of dietary dangers from the WAP Foundation site:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/dietdangers.html

Don't know what to make of it. WAP nutritional advice is sound and very Primal in its approach.

Disclaimer: I use the microwave.

Comment

I agree with Trinkwasser, the microwave makes food taste bad and often gives a weird texture too. We never use ours anymore.

Comment

Yet another fear for the scientifically challenged.

Don't drink coffee don't drink alcohol.....Yeah, right.

It's too bad when people do good work in one field and then run amok with things like that list. When WAP goes into the political arena for good changes, say in food labeling, and something like that list comes about, the word "nut job" surely enters many people's minds.

Comment

When I had a microwave, I only used it for heating up water for tea. We cooked all our food on the stovetop as my husband hated the texture and taste of microwaved food. We have since gotten rid of it and saved counter space.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                  Current weight: 199
                  Goal: 145

Comment

The way I understand how the microwave was discovered, while doing research on RADAR systems by the military. A worker had a candy bar or some type of food in his pocket. Just thinking with common sense, it can't be good for fresh wholesome food to be cooked that way. The thought of giving a baby breast milk heated this way could give you the shivers.

Comment

"Just thinking with common sense...." Sorry, norm, you are NOT thinking with common sense, which is sort of a non sequitur anyway.

Why would heating food by making the molecules vibrate faster via radio waves be any worse that by adding thermal energy.....to make the molecules vibrate faster? It isn't. The food doesn't care. This is not gamma rays or something, you know.

I think the MW is one of the greatest inventions ever. I don't think I've ever actually cooked anything in one, but heating or thawing stuff, it's an invention from heaven.

They've been around for almost 50 years and I don't don't recall of anyone getting ill or dying from MW'd food. The are good for the environment, too, lasting many years and using a lot less electricity to heat the same amount of food than a stove top.

Comment

I am not all that concerned about radio waves hitting my food, I am more concerned with cooking in plastic which microwaves are able to do. I think that may be a real concern.

If the candy bar story is true did the scientist live to tell the tail. Exposing your food to microwaves is one thing, exposing your body is an entirely different thing!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

The plastics issue is probably valid. Phlates (is that the word?) isn't very primal!

A body in the line of microwaves heats up, just like your soup. Any conscious person would recognize that something is very very wrong. And if they are an engineer or scientist working on one of those old radar units, they probably already knew.

Comment

The microwave is incredibly convenient for heating, reheating and quick thaw. I don't use it for cooking per se because it just doesnt' do the job of the stovetop or the oven but I'm not afraid of it.

Comment

My parents use the microwave for EVERYTHING: rice, pasta, curry, bolognese, scrambled eggs.... they just toss in the ingredients and stir every so often. No idea why; I guess the big Pyrex / glass dishes are easier to clean than metal pans? The results are usually not much worse than you would get from cooking on the hob, with the exception of the rice and eggs which end up dry and tasteless.

I grew up eating microwave meals as my parents never had time to cook (maybe that's why, even before going Primal, I avoided them like the plague?) so I guess they're just used to microwaving everything even now that they do have time to cook?

Recently I've been microwaving veg as I don't have a steamer where I'm currently living. Results just aren't the same . Also I find that meat thawed in the microwave just isn't as good as meat left to thaw naturally, but it's a lot better than having no meat because it's still frozen! Looking forward to some microwave-thawed chicken thighs this evening since I forgot to take them out of the freezer yesterday... And I find that food reheated in the microwave isn't as nice as food reheated on the hob, but the microwave is certainly quicker and more convenient (can do it in the same plate you'll be eating it from).

Comment

Working...
                              X