Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To encourage you to continue your coconut oil binges!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut oil/milk noticeably increases the inflammation within my body if I eat too much.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
      Why not cheap-as-hell soybean oil? Since you're completely oxidizing -> polymerizing the fat, where's the harm in using it to season a cast iron pan?
      Safflower oil is just as readily available and will work better. For $4 it's a fine parts lubricant.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        Safflower oil is just as readily available and will work better. For $4 it's a fine parts lubricant.
        Sooo, why won't you buy safflower oil? Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, this is more of a thought exercise. I'm not ragging on your personal choice of seasoning oil or anything; I'm just really interested in the science of seasoning cast iron.

Comment

Sooo, why won't you buy safflower oil? Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, this is more of a thought exercise. I'm not ragging on your personal choice of seasoning oil or anything; I'm just really interested in the science of seasoning cast iron.
          Maybe because he doesn't otherwise use it and it does not take a lot of oil to season a pan?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
            I just don't want to. Principles. Seed oil manufacturers make more than enough money off the suffering of others, and I won't contribute. I'd rather get a comparatively lousy finish on my pans. I maintain them very well so they look great using olive oil, though. I clean and scrub them meticulously and bake them after each use to maintain the finish. For a person that isn't as meticulous and want the best finish possible, it's flaxseed oil and safflower oil.

Also, what mags said. It's like half a teaspoon to maintain a pan, and since I don't fry much a bottle of safflower oil would literally last years. I don't need the space taken up in my tiny pantry.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I just get cast iron pans from the thrift store. I can abuse them with sub-par seasoning all I want.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                I just don't want to. Principles. Seed oil manufacturers make more than enough money off the suffering of others, and I won't contribute. I'd rather get a comparatively lousy finish on my pans. I maintain them very well so they look great using olive oil, though. I clean and scrub them meticulously and bake them after each use to maintain the finish. For a person that isn't as meticulous and want the best finish possible, it's flaxseed oil and safflower oil.

Also, what mags said. It's like half a teaspoon to maintain a pan, and since I don't fry much a bottle of safflower oil would literally last years. I don't need the space taken up in my tiny pantry.
                Gotcha. Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Comment

You can use a tiny jar and ask one of your friends to give them a bit of their canola. I love my 1 tbsp jars, super useful for carrying pills, dressings and stuff.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Maybe I'm neurotic but I'm proud of not having a single seed oil in my house. I have coconut oil, both CAFO and grassfed butters, homemade ghee from Kerrygold, over 2 lbs of raw unrefined cocoa butter bricks, virgin red palm oil, extra virgin olive oil and a 7 pound pail of Tropical Traditions organic palm shortening. That's it. Half my fats I have to melt before I can even use them!

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    You can use a tiny jar and ask one of your friends to give them a bit of their canola. I love my 1 tbsp jars, super useful for carrying pills, dressings and stuff.
                    My friends don't have canola oil. Friends don't let friends own canola oil. I have been known to get them horribly drunk on tequila, vodka and red wine, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X