Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing at work................heart racing and cold sweat????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing at work................heart racing and cold sweat????

Trying to incorporate more movement at my workplace, so I rigged up a standing desk. Any ideas why my heart would be racing and I am breaking out in a cold sweat??? I had a protein shake this morning and that's all??

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome??

From google search:

"I would first have my blood glucose level checked, these signs are consistent with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), but can also mean other things, but first thing's first. Next I would have a cardiac evaluation and this would include an examination of your thyroid function. You should see your primary care doctor soon."
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

If this is an ongoing issue a racing heart can indicate hyperthyroid. Something to discuss with your doctor.

Comment

Too much coffee? Anxiety? Unresolved issues at work or home?

Comment

Are you on a ketogenic diet?
          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

It could indeed be related to your blood sugar level... with only a shake for breakfast, it might be that your body is telling you to eat more... I know I feel like that when I haven't eaten enough....
            My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scotten View Post
              Trying to incorporate more movement at my workplace, so I rigged up a standing desk. Any ideas why my heart would be racing and I am breaking out in a cold sweat??? I had a protein shake this morning and that's all??

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome??
              By any chance are you a low carb dieter eating lots of protein and drinking coffee?

That's a recipe for hypoglycemia. Nothing will make you hypoglycemic faster than simply consuming protein because it causes a massive insulin rush with no healthy blood sugar increase to go along with it. Adding coffee or tea to the mix will exacerbate the issue by freeing up free fatty acids to further drop your blood glucose and increase hypoglycemia. Consuming sugar alongside the protein shake, like a big piece of sweet fruit, would help alleviate this.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie` View Post
                If this is an ongoing issue a racing heart can indicate hyperthyroid. Something to discuss with your doctor.
                I strongly doubt it's hyperthyroidism. That's pretty rare, especially considering the norm is hypothyroidism today. It sounds like hypoglycemia, which if anything is more likely in someone with a lagging thyroid.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I'm going to try eating a good primal breakfast tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

A good primal breakfast sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      By any chance are you a low carb dieter eating lots of protein and drinking coffee?

That's a recipe for hypoglycemia. Nothing will make you hypoglycemic faster than simply consuming protein because it causes a massive insulin rush with no healthy blood sugar increase to go along with it. Adding coffee or tea to the mix will exacerbate the issue by freeing up free fatty acids to further drop your blood glucose and increase hypoglycemia. Consuming sugar alongside the protein shake, like a big piece of sweet fruit, would help alleviate this.
                      I don't doubt what you say but I only have coffee in the morning, and 50% of the time no lunch at all. I have no such symptoms. In absence of carbs and presence of insulin, glucagon must come into play for maintaining blood sugar within a normal range. Gluconeogenesis should kick in I think so I would say the OP's issue ismore related to his new standing position at work (it requires more from the body than sitting and the blood circulation is not exactly the same).

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer
                        I see a hypoglycemic reaction as an indication of metabolic dysfunction. One that might do well with a low carb protocol (not necessarily VLC) but may need to start the process with frequent meals before progressing to the intermittent fasting.
                        Sounds wise. I was just reacting to this because I also adopted a standing position at work about 6 months ago, got some new adjustable desk to do my rather boring s/w programming and I felt funny the first days I stood. I simply started breaking the position every 30mn or so (5mn walk, some push-ups, etc) and the feeling stopped right away.

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                          I don't doubt what you say but I only have coffee in the morning, and 50% of the time no lunch at all. I have no such symptoms. In absence of carbs and presence of insulin, glucagon must come into play for maintaining blood sugar within a normal range. Gluconeogenesis should kick in I think so I would say the OP's issue ismore related to his new standing position at work (it requires more from the body than sitting and the blood circulation is not exactly the same).
                          Lower carbohydrate intakes correlate with decreased insulin sensitivity and higher fasting blood glucose. High protein meals low in carbohydrate and fat, such as fat free dairy, protein shakes or very lean meats only, drop blood glucose. While glucagon is released in the presence of insulin without an ensuing blood sugar spike, it is not a perfect beast and the overall reaction is normally decreased blood sugar. Coffee further exacerbates this because black coffee (no cream and sugar) decreases blood glucose and dumps free fatty acids into the blood.

If you want the perfect storm of hypoglycemia, pair low carbohydrate dieting with fasting, coffee and a protein-only meal. Or, wake up from an overnight fast, have a protein shake, then a big old cup of black coffee and don't eat for awhile after.

Comment

Thanks but no shakes for me in the AM, I'll stick to my cups of black coffee only

Just curious: why would I benefit from a protein shake in the AM ? I'd rather eat a big bowl of oatmeal and/or 2-3 bananas and eggs if I were hungry at all.

Comment

brekkie disaster

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                              Thanks but no shakes for me in the AM, I'll stick to my cups of black coffee only

Just curious: why would I benefit from a protein shake in the AM ? I'd rather eat a big bowl of oatmeal and/or 2-3 bananas and eggs if I were hungry at all.
                              Oatmeal sends hubby's blood sugar into the stratosphere. Adding 2 or 3 bananas would exacerbate the symptoms (try crankytired to the power of 3!) and it likely would take a full dozen eggs fried in coconut oil to balance out the sugar overload. Bananas and eggs? Now that's not so bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X