No announcement yet.

Real mayo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trick may be in the temperature of everything combined. Also, I add my oil to the blender through a Melitta coffee funnel to ensure a slow, consistent mix.

Comment

I make my own with extra light tasting olive oil and or avocado oil. Easy peasy in the Vitamix.
      Last edited by Cookie`; 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Most of the mayo recipes I see have mustard in them. Why is that, and can you taste the mustard in the resulting mayo?

Comment

The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience. | theclothesmakethegirl

I think someone mentioned this recipe - I've used it and it's definitely good, but I haven't had supermarket mayo in years and years (vegan...) so I can't comment on whether it tastes the same. You can use different oil too - some people LIKE the extra virgin olive oil taste, but I've heard you can use other light oils like avocado in place of light olive oil. And I absolutely second the post that said STICK BLENDER. It's seriously worth buying one just for this, but they're super handy for pureeing soups and stuff in the pot w/out having to transfer to a food processor or blender and back. But yeah, the cuisinart one I got came with a little measuring cup that it sits in, so I just put the egg and lemon or lime juice in and let them come to room temp together, add the dry stuff, fill up the oil to about a cup, and start blending from the bottom. It literally takes 10 seconds and it's incredible to see the consistency change and billow up around the stick blender. I get excessively filled with happiness every time it happens lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Moll View Post
            The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience. | theclothesmakethegirl

I think someone mentioned this recipe - I've used it and it's definitely good, but I haven't had supermarket mayo in years and years (vegan...) so I can't comment on whether it tastes the same. You can use different oil too - some people LIKE the extra virgin olive oil taste, but I've heard you can use other light oils like avocado in place of light olive oil. And I absolutely second the post that said STICK BLENDER. It's seriously worth buying one just for this, but they're super handy for pureeing soups and stuff in the pot w/out having to transfer to a food processor or blender and back. But yeah, the cuisinart one I got came with a little measuring cup that it sits in, so I just put the egg and lemon or lime juice in and let them come to room temp together, add the dry stuff, fill up the oil to about a cup, and start blending from the bottom. It literally takes 10 seconds and it's incredible to see the consistency change and billow up around the stick blender. I get excessively filled with happiness every time it happens lol.
            I made my first ever homemade mayo yesterday using the recipe and method(blender) outlined in the link, and it turned out great.

Comment

Working...
            X