Sources of Vitamins and Minerals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources of Vitamins and Minerals

If you're concerned that you aren't getting the micronutrients you need when your macronutrients are weighed heavily in favor of fat and protein, and you think you need to eat more vegetables and fruit in order to make sure you're getting the vitamins and minerals you need, please think again. If you eat organ meats such as liver and beef heart, consume lots of healthy saturated fats, if you can tolerate dairy products, especially heavy cream and butter, and eat lots of free-range eggs, you can stop worrying about missing out on valuable micronutrients. You do not need to keep your carbohydrate consumption above a minimal level, say 5% of your total intake, in order to remain healthy.

As a former vegetarian -- I owned a vegetarian restaurant and wrote a vegetarian cookbook -- I never thought I'd say this, but after adequate research I now understand that vegetables and fruit, while delicious, are not a necessary part of the human diet. I know Mark has them as a base of the PB, but he needs to appeal to a wide audience; reaching as many people as possible without turning them off with a complete 360 from CW, is likely the best tactic. But for those of us who have already accepted the primal wisdom, and are working hard to be the healthiest people we can be, it's important to fully understand what to eat to get and stay healthy. Especially for people like me who have severely damaged their bodies over the years, plus have many pounds of fat to lose.

This link provides a detailed list of necessary vitamins and minerals, and the food sources that are rich in them: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/vita...d-food-sources

If you read the list carefully, not only will you find meat and fish in the majority of the food sources cited, but you'll also see that many of the listed sources are "fortified," meaning processed foods like "vitamin-enriched" cereal. You can discount those fortified food sources as they have no place in a primal diet; there are adequate whole food sources for everything.

But, if you read the information here: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/weird-n...ense-meat.html you can see that organ meats like beef liver and heart are often overlooked as intensely nutrient-dense foods. Liver contains one of the most concentrated ratios of natural vitamin A of any food sources. If you eat your liver with grass fed butter, you'll process it even better. Organ meats, nuts, cheese, eggs, milk and lean meat are great sources of riboflavin, which is necessary in the metabolization process of proteins. In the chart previously referenced, you'll see they recommend fortified cereal as a source of B2 (riboflavin), which of course is total CW crap.

As this article (http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...les/36614.aspx) states:
    Meats, especially red meats, are great sources of folic acid. Folic acid is essential for growth and proper cell functioning. Red meat is also a great source of vitamins A, B, C, D, and E. Each of these vitamins are extremely necessary for good health. For example, vitamin A is good for eyes, bones and teeth health. Vitamin C is generally not associated with meat but with fruit and vegetables. However, Eskimos eat almost no fruit or vegetables; they get vitamin C from their meat and fish diet. Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...#ixzz0nBqWjK00

I hope this information helps even one person, and encourages everyone to continue to challenge their previously-held conceptions, as it has challenged me.
    Last edited by Sharonll; 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo

great post!! i loooooove all the organs i have tried
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you. I have noticed that I am tending toward a more and more carnivorous diet. Do you know the best meat or dairy source for vitamin C?
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Abstaining from processed carbs reduces the need for vitamin C, which is readily available in raw/rare meat, organ meat, oysters, and in the vegetables low carb eaters often use as accompaniments such as tomatoes, cabbage, and bell peppers. For a thorough discussion of vitamin C, the ideas around ascorbic acid and the prevention of scurvy, the final understanding that vitamin C is easily obtained through a diet of fresh meat, and the reasons why low carb eaters require less vitamin C, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy.

Comment

im thinking of ordering some of the liverwurst from US wellness....anyone got it before?
          Get on my Level

Comment

i never thought i would be craving braunschweiger for its nutrients! i think this might become my favorite snack, i used to love it as a kid, but only my grandma would give it to me, rest of the time it was just 'unhealthy'

btw great post, thanks!

Comment

I have been wondering about fortified foods. Not that i'm likely to eat a 'fortified food', but are the added nutrients of fortified foods absorbed/utilized by the body? i mean are they bio-available?

Comment

Originally posted by Whopper View Post
                i never thought i would be craving braunschweiger for its nutrients! i think this might become my favorite snack, i used to love it as a kid, but only my grandma would give it to me, rest of the time it was just 'unhealthy'

btw great post, thanks!
                Mmmm, more reason to indulge in braunschweiger. My grandma also introduced it to me when I was very little. So funny to imagine a little girl liking it, but I sure did. Now I can buy it without guilt!
                Carpe Diem!

Comment

I am making braunschweiger this weekend from this recipe http://schmidling.com/liver.htm although I might skip the powdered milk. Haven't decided for sure yet. I always play around with recipes, so might add liquid heavy cream instead. I have grass fed beef liver and pastured pork leaf lard and pastured ground pork, so this should be perfect!

Comment

I've added a lot of plant foods (nuts, seeds, veg, limited fruits) to my diet since I started tracking my intake with Cron-O-Meter because I was deficient in so many vitamins and minerals eating mostly animal products. While I feel it's proven humans can survive quite well on all-meat diets, I just don't feel there is evidence that skipping out on plant foods, which provide a lot of nutrition that animal foods do not, is optimal. Carnivore human populations are only found in extreme enviroments, it's within the range of normal (unlike veganism) but very far from the average.

I do not eat like a traditional Eskimo (raw organs from non-ruminents eating their own natural diet and raw seafood). I can't find a single source (including the one above) claiming that vitamin C has anything but trace amounts of C. Cooking would destroy what is there. Cooked organs contain small amounts as do some seafoods. But heat destroys most of it, so you would have to be eating things raw...

I've also seen too many zero-carbers exibit symptoms of various deficiencies to not worry about this.

Comment

Originally posted by animalcule View Post
                      While I feel it's proven humans can survive quite well on all-meat diets, I just don't feel there is evidence that skipping out on plant foods, which provide a lot of nutrition that animal foods do not, is optimal.
                      Just curious what nutrition plant foods provide that is not obtainable by animal foods? I am trying to be fully informed on this topic, and if there is any nutrition that I'm missing out on by only eating 5% of my daily calories in carb form, some of which are carbs from animal products, I need to know about it. So far, I haven't found any vitamins or minerals that I'm missing while lowering my carbs to this extremely low number.

Comment

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/

he posts alotof his prima meals with nutrient breakdowns if you need an idea how to get them alll
                        Get on my Level

Comment

Sharonll: for me eating a diet of mostly cooked animal products including lots of cream and butter and moderate cheese and yogurt consumption didn't provide very much (I'm talking under 15% to 30% of my RDA) C, E, K1, folate (I do eat liver but only a couples times a week, it's the only good animal source), thiamine, riboflavin, calcium, manganese, and potassium. I don't like supplementing, so plant food it was.

I suggest you download the Cron-O-Meter software if this is something that concerns you, it's free and a great resource.

Comment

@animalcule -- I use FitDay religiously. Please remember that the RDA was developed during WWII to address any nutritional deficiencies that might affect national security and they also took food availablity into account, which was quite different from what we have available to us today. The RDA truly does not reflect the requirements of someone who is following the Primal Blueprint. My intake regularly exceeds the RDA for fat and protein, and never comes close to the RDA for carbs. According to the RDA, I consume many times the requirement for Vit A and B12. At this point, I can't help but question the RDA relevance for me.
                            Last edited by Sharonll; 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

The RDA has little bearing on my daily diet either (I OD on fat, protein, B12 and A as well). However I would be interested in seeing the long-term outcome of the various deficiences you will get from almost totally eliminating plant food. There hasn't been enough research on low-carb diets to be certain what is healthy here. We know the Inuit alone flourished on this type of diet, but we don't have reliable information on the total amount or type of plant food consumed as an average, and unless you are living on wild artic mammals and seafood, and including many raw organs in your daily diet, it's impossible you are eating like they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X