Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Percent of grassfed/organic meat you eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percent of grassfed/organic meat you eat?

I'm new to PB. Day 1!!
    I live in a remote town (in Australia). Regular organic meat is hard to come by - mostly chicken. Grassfed is almost impossible.
    Just wondering if people eat only exclusively grassfed / local meat?
    If I eat the meat available from the supermarket - do I still opt for a piece that has fat? Considering the "quality" of the meat/fat - as in the omega ratios.
    Trying to make the best decisions with the options I have .

We don't have the enormous feedlots like the US. Much of our domestic beef and all of the lamb spend only a little time in feedlots on the way to slaughter. I wouldn't sweat it. However, I do like the grassfed scotch fillet from Aldi

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I recently found a local butcher that sells great meat....as soon as we eat the last of the meat bought at the grocery store, I will be switching to the butcher exclusively. Took lots of research, and visiting butchers, meat shops and talking to lots of people, but we found a great supplier of good meat. Even getting fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving!!

Start looking and asking around. Never know what is out there until you look.

Good luck!
      44 F 5'5
      SW 205.4
      CW 180.4
      GW 150

Comment

I buy cheap cuts of grassfed (beef ribs, beef neck, offal, very occasionally a pricier steak cut) so it encompasses over 60-70% of what I buy. The rest is "all natural" lamb/beef (no hormones and no antibiotics).

The grassfed is from a butchershop. They don't even display the neck, bones, offal for the yuppie customers so one would have to ask for it. I suggest you finding a butchershop and ask them about neckbones... They are priced as bones for me but they have a decent amount of meat of them.

I do eat BBQ and steak out at restaurants so I guess my intake of grassfed is actually around the 50% mark.
        Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-16-2013, 05:50 AM.
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

I find wild salmon to be an easier and cheaper source of the good stuff. I did buy 1 steak yesterday for 12/lb, some ground elk for $7/lb and I sometimes get NZ lamb for $14/lb but in general if I want steaks, chops and chicken I get the cheap stuff and just try to go lean.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks for advice guys.
            Sadly only have one private butcher in town. Funny - they actually advertise on their website that they offer grassfed beef and chicken, however when I went to query they had none available and weren't sure when next load was arriving!!! Hence why grass fed is kinda of tricky to get. We have two major chain supermarkets - they both offer organic chicken. Quality!?? who knows, but it's my only option.
            So my query still stands - if I'm to buy lesser quality meat, am I best to cut fat off and make sure I cook in good oil /butter??
            I am lucky that I live coastal so I get plenty of wild fresh fish. 😃

Comment

About 1/3 of my meat is organic grassfed. I can only get organic, grassfed chickens. But the pork is labeled "all natural" due to no added hormones. My beef is the generic grain fed, hormone altered meat still. I rotate the beef and pork, and have chicken every other day. Sometimes I can access wild salmon, so I eat that maybe once a week at most. I think I do well.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Sunnygirl, Id eat a lot of the chicken and wild fish if I were you. Still get fatty cuts of meat because you do need fat for energy. Omega 3/6 ratios may be less than optimal, but youre way ahead of the game if youre majorly primal. Consider it a cheat meal if you eat grain fed beef.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I would get the lean cuts of the non organic meat (if it isn't organic either). The hormones and antibiotics tend to accumulate there. I would stick to beef & lamb because they are less affected by what they eat.
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

I would say about 95%, due to the fact that I eat out occasionally at places that don't carry it. Most of my restaurants I frequent do carry a GF burger, but their steaks are usually conventional for obvious cost reasons. If you need a GF Ribeye to be happy, get a second job because it will be high dollar.

My neighbor has a cow named T-Bone that will be slaughtered on Nov 4. I will be getting half, more than enough to make it several months. I have two turkeys, named Thanksgiving and Christmas, that are pecking away in my backyard pen as I write this from work I remember buying all of it from Whole Paycheck when I first started primal, so I appreciate this now.
                    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I would say about 5% organic grass fed for meat here. I live in Alaska. Not only is it hard to get, it's prohibitively expensive. I make decent money but am by no means rich and you'd have to be rich to eat 100% organic/free range in Alaska.
                      High Weight: 225
                      Weight at start of Primal: 189
                      Current Weight: 174
                      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Dee, can't you get a lot of elk and other wild meats in Alaska? Elk is pretty yummy.

For beef, only grass fed. Fish, only wild, mostly salmon. After months of eating no pork, and chicken only when I made it to the Tuesday market, I finally caved and bought a package of each pork and chicken at the grocery store. I kinda felt as bad as if I'd bought a package of Hostess Twinkies. LOL. But they were yummy. And the pork did come from a fairly local (within the state) pig farm that has such a sweet video on youtube, that though I know pigs are generally never fully pastured, I know these were treated as humanely as is economically feasible. A Hogs Life | Chappapeela Farms

For chicken livers, I buy organic. Lamb, pastured. Goat and eggs, local. Butter - Organic Valley whose customer service has convinced me they're legit. The very occasional duck, local or USWellness.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          I would get the lean cuts of the non organic meat (if it isn't organic either). The hormones and antibiotics tend to accumulate there. I would stick to beef & lamb because they are less affected by what they eat.
                          This is confusing to me Turquoise...the hormones and ab's tend to accumulate in the lean cuts? Then why buy those?
                          The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                          SW - 192
                          CW - 180
                          GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                            This is confusing to me Turquoise...the hormones and ab's tend to accumulate in the lean cuts? Then why buy those?
                            She meant they accumulate in fatty cuts. Just a typo of a tired law student.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                              I would say about 5% organic grass fed for meat here. I live in Alaska. Not only is it hard to get, it's prohibitively expensive. I make decent money but am by no means rich and you'd have to be rich to eat 100% organic/free range in Alaska.
                              My wife is from AK (Kenai) and we eat a lot of caribou and salmon thanks to her dad. But yeah, when we're visiting, there's almost no grass fed in the Safeway. Here in Chicago, though, we can get pastured chicken, lamb, pork, and beef at Whole Foods, so that's all we buy. One of the good things about the big city...

Comment

Working...
                              X