How many servings of veggies do you have a day, and which ones are your fav

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the day.

I find that I have far less digestive upset by staying away from salad.

On weekends (I IF with broth during the week) I will have some tomato with eggs, or sometimes some spinach.

Lunch is a mix of roasted veggies and some protein like fish, salmon, chicken legs, hamburger. Todays veggie combo is eggplant, green and yellow zucchini, onions, and tomatoes from the farm share. Kind of a ratatouille mix.

My favorite is roasted turnips, parsnips, carrots, onions, sweet potato.

Dinner is another veg, usually broccoli or green beans because the kids love it.

Comment

OK, I'll say it. I have no idea what a serving of veggies even consists of. XD Can anyone enlighten me?
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Twice or three times a day, depending on whether I have just fruit, nuts and kefir for breakfast or something more substantial.

Favourites... purple sprouting broccoli, red kuri squash. That's just become available at the market again - there's just one stall that does it. It's beautiful steamed, fried or (best of all) diced and roasted with olive oil, seasoning and rosemary. It's not sickly sweet like spaghetti squash or bland and boring like butternut, and the skin is completely edible.

Love the colours, too... rainbow chard, purple kale, purple cauliflower. And can never resist Romanesco cauliflower, either - fractal vegetables, what's not to love?

Are we allowed salads, too? Baby chard, rocket (arugula), mizuna, mibuna, lots of things from the market I don't know the name of...

The absurd thing is that when I was vegetarian (and vegan) I had no idea most of these things existed, and ate barely half as much veg as I do now.

Comment

Originally posted by miniGrokette View Post
          How many servings of veggies do you have a day,
          About 3-8 a week.
          and which ones are your favorites?
          Potatoes. They're practically the eggs of the vegetable kingdom. I HATE leafy vegetables. They taste like awful.

Edit: I'm also curious about eating fresh vs. raw veggies. I love 'em cooked, but have been wondering if I should mix it up? Eating a cold piece of broccoli just doesn't do it for me
          Prefer them cooked. I eat fruit raw, but never raw vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
            The absurd thing is that when I was vegetarian (and vegan) I had no idea most of these things existed, and ate barely half as much veg as I do now.
            The vegans I know best ignore or downplay all nonstarch vegetables. In the US at least, many of us grow up with our only exposure as canned boiled carrots in the school cafeteria.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

canned boiled carrots
              barfing.gif

Comment

I don't eat much veggies... And the small amount of veggies I eat are cooked or fermented.

I eat tons of fruits on carb up/workout days since I no longer eat starches regularly.
                ------
                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Just had a BAS today. Mine are bigger than normal. Used like equivalent of 8 servings of veggies in it along with like a handful of nuts a handful of seeds ....6-8 tablespoons of olive oil, two raw egg yolks and 8 oz of salmon. Darn good if I do say so myself.

Comment

A lot of veggies for me. Every day.

First thing in the morning is a glass of juice. I throw in some celery, a cucumber, a carrot, a piece of ginger, some kale, some spinach, one small beetroot, an apple and a pear. Nothing beats this recipe!
                    Fruits until noon.
                    Lunch (usually after lunch time gymming) is baked potato + cooked vegetable curry.
                    2 or 3 raw carrots and cucumbers with some peanut butter for snack. This is a beautiful combination, you have to try. Just dip the carrot of cucumber in a peanut butter jar and eat.
                    Dinner is again baked potato or sometimes rice with vegetables.

My wife makes yummy vegetable dishes, mostly indian style, with a lot of spices.
                    Few but ripe.

Comment

I start the day with eggs and veges - usually mushroom and silverbeet, but sometimes leftover anything - cauli, carrot, potato, onion.

Dinner is meat and veges. My favourites are pumpkin and cauliflower but I will eat anything - parsnip, kumara, broccoli, leeks, beans, peas (I know, they're legumes).

A summer favourite is cucumber and I do like capsicum and celery. I also will eat lettuce, zucchini and tomato though I'm not a huge fan of them.

Lunch is the least likely meal to have veges unless I have leftovers or a vege soup in which case they are the same veges as above.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Working...
                      X