Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a Kabocha or a Buttercup Squash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Kabocha or a Buttercup Squash?

I wanted to try Kabocha so I went the store and bought what i assumed was a Kabocha and that the term Kabocha was used interchangeably with buttercup squash and that they were the same. Just learned they are in fact not the same thing but i can't really tell the difference when i looked up Kabocha vs buttercup pics online.

I think it's a buttercup. I had one of those this summer in the garden and I only got 1 off the plant.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

They sure look like the buttercup squash i just bought and cooked last night.

Comment

Google says the buttercup squash has a very distinct button on it and the kabocha are flat. Those dont look like they have a button.

Actually, when I expand the photo, It looks like they do have a button. Apparently they are labeled incorrectly often.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
        Last edited by oceangrl; 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

That's a kabocha. I eat that shit on a daily basis. I know what it looks like. The bottom varies in appearance.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

This looks like the kabocha I just bought, except on mine the stripes are a light green, not whitish/yellowish.

Comment

Originally posted by candy corn View Post
              I wanted to try Kabocha so I went the store and bought what i assumed was a Kabocha and that the term Kabocha was used interchangeably with buttercup squash and that they were the same. Just learned they are in fact not the same thing but i can't really tell the difference when i looked up Kabocha vs buttercup pics online.

It's a kaboucha and my favorite. I use the leftovers for hash browns with seasonings cooked in ghee.

Comment

So it is a Kabocha? The sticker on it said Buttercup.

im so confused.

Comment

The buttercup will tend to have a very distinct "hat" on it at the top. Not the stem, it's looks like the squash is wearing a little green hat.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by candy corn View Post
                    So it is a Kabocha? The sticker on it said Buttercup.

im so confused.
                    My big grocery stores here mistake it too but it really is a kaboucha.

On the left is a kaboucha and on the right a buttercup.

Kaboucha and Buttercup.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie` View Post
                      My big grocery stores here mistake it too but it really is a kaboucha.

On the left is a kaboucha and on the right a buttercup.

[ATTACH]13052[/ATTACH]
                      So a Kabocha will be more rounded? Im like candy corn. Im looking at the stems and knobs of both of these online and i cant really tell a difference. And I doubt I could if it was in a store looking at both trying to decide which is which.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                        So a Kabocha will be more rounded? Im like candy corn. Im looking at the stems and knobs of both of these online and i cant really tell a difference. And I doubt I could if it was in a store looking at both trying to decide which is which.

I was eating kaboucha for the longest time thinking it was buttercup. I couldn't understand same cooking method and time why sometimes it is so watery like once roasted and others much drier.

A little googling and I figured it out.

They look very similar but the buttercup is flat on top almost squarish as in earlier image I posted and when roasted often watery inside. The kaboucha is rounded and much drier. For that reason I prefer the kaboucha although both taste good.

Comment

Think of the kaboucha as a ball with a knob and the buttercup as a somewhat squarish semi flattened ball.

Comment

Just cut it open and bake it. The difference will be obvious enough. Kabocha will have a much drier texture once cooked.
                            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

Comment

Working...
                            X