Ray peat's explanation of gelatin and effect on lipolysis. Clarify please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peril View Post
    But surely the only way to lose fat is by burning the NEFA released by lipolysis. If eating gelatin inhibits this then it inhibits fat loss.
    More fatty acids are continuously released from fat cells than are actually used by the cells. Some lipolysis and reesterification is happening all the time.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
      But surely the only way to lose fat is by burning the NEFA released by lipolysis. If eating gelatin inhibits this then it inhibits fat loss.

Not that I'm in any way against eating gelatin as part of a whole foods diet. Cooking lamb shanks for dinner tonight
      And so I am at the start of my journey again
      I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kikiperpie View Post
        While, theoretically, some may say that gelatin hinders fat loss, take comfort in the fact that many people on this forum have lost fat while taking gelatin on the regular, using it as a significant source of protein even. I myself find that it curbs my appetite, aiding in creating that coveted (and hotly debated) calorie deficit. Now, adding it to your wine may not be the best practice for fat loss, but trying it out certainly couldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

Lol..seriously, it will drive you nuts if you let it. I found myself doubting what has worked so well for me just cuz. Well that and Derp said something about vlc people smell and Mo and others claim something about Keto rage. I had to remind myself that I am not VLC and I smell like a rose. The rage thing..we'll see.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Thinking a bit more, eating any protein or carb will stimulate insulin which inhibits lipolysis and promotes esterification (storage of fat dominates). This is quite normal and should not be feared. It is only a problem when insulin is chronically high. Limit the number of times you eat each day and there will be plenty of time during the day when insulin is low enough for fat burning to dominate and fat loss ensues.

In other words, don't sweat the insulogenic effect of gelatin, just eat three square meals per day
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Hahaha Keto rage is a joke from another thread. And I will adjust my stance on that weird smell thing- it didn't just happen to me when I was VLC- it happens when I eat too much meat. Meatsweats, period. For ME.

Comment

It's as I said, with insulin, and gelatin, they suppress lipolysis and the concentration of free fatty acids in the bloodstream decreases. It doesn't hinder fat loss.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                  Hahaha Keto rage is a joke from another thread. And I will adjust my stance on that weird smell thing- it didn't just happen to me when I was VLC- it happens when I eat too much meat. Meatsweats, period. For ME.

Here's how weird I am. I am not nor have I been VLC. So I should shut tfu and allow all of you to duke it out. I swear..if I were a country, I would be SLD.

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                    Here's how weird I am. I am not nor have I been VLC. So I should shut tfu and allow all of you to duke it out. I swear..if I were a country, I would be SLD.

You're the only normal one here
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      You're the only normal one here
                      I actually am touched that you said that. Now I will slink off before you change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post

No more arguing. Deal?

Deal. Just so long as you know I'm taking a screenshot of this and will use it anytime you start up again

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                          Deal. Just so long as you know I'm taking a screenshot of this and will use it anytime you start up again

Omg..go for it girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            I tried to read some Peat, and it was like cheap sci-fi. He expects the reader to just trust his story. Very odd stuff.
                            How is that different to Mark sisson, robb wolf and Gary taubes? He cites his work but there's also a bunch of sources you can check on topics like gelatin. I'm prety sure Taubes and sisson spread more half truths or even lies than Ray peat.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              I tried to read some Peat, and it was like cheap sci-fi. He expects the reader to just trust his story. Very odd stuff.
                              Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                              How is that different to Mark sisson, robb wolf and Gary taubes? He cites his work but there's also a bunch of sources you can check on topics like gelatin. I'm prety sure Taubes and sisson spread more half truths or even lies than Ray peat.
                              Care to cite specific links or quotes of these "half truths or even lies" spread by sisson? Ya know, this being his forum and all...
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                                Care to cite specific links or quotes of these "half truths or even lies" spread by sisson? Ya know, this being his forum and all...
                                You know that whole carb curve and insidious fat gain thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X