Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there other starches similar to the Japanese sweet potato?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there other starches similar to the Japanese sweet potato?

I talking about the satsumaimo, purple skin kind of yellowish insides. The closest asain grocer to me is about 2 hours away so i don't get to hit them often but i did last week and bought as many of these as i could. I totally forgot how good they are. I was hoping there was something similar I could get in taste/texture of these that is readily available to me.

baked they have a kind of soft pillowy texture yet kind of denseness that is sweet but not overpowering. I want that all the time!

Wish I could get these in the UK!!!

Isn't they're a Hawaiian version also.

From London England UK

Comment

The smallest kabocha (<2 lb) are pretty dense and sweet and are sold at most non-terrible markets.

There are also ube yams from the Philippines but those are probably harder to find.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Have you tried turnips, rutabagas and various types of beets (golden or red)?
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Im so lucky to have access to these in abundance, my favourite food on the planet!

Comment

These are the best sweet potatoes without a doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
              I talking about the satsumaimo, purple skin kind of yellowish insides. The closest asain grocer to me is about 2 hours away so i don't get to hit them often but i did last week and bought as many of these as i could. I totally forgot how good they are. I was hoping there was something similar I could get in taste/texture of these that is readily available to me.

baked they have a kind of soft pillowy texture yet kind of denseness that is sweet but not overpowering. I want that all the time!
              At the farmer's market I go to they sometimes have a red skin or white skin with yellowish-white insides that seems to have a nice taste and consistency that is different from the two kinds you can get from the regular grocery. At this time of year for a couple of weeks they sometimes have a purple sweet potato that has very thin purple skin and purple inside. I'm hoping they'll have those next week. They're not only tasty but really pretty inside.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Those are to die for!! I like to bake them plain and unwrapped, then wrap in foil as soon as they come out of the oven, and let them sit 10-20 min so the skin peels itself away and it doesn't dry out.

Try acorn squashes, halved and baked with butter, cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup (a little bit won't do any harm!)
                If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
                I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Comment

I wash mine, wrap in foil, cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 400*, cut open, let cool, peel the skin(it comes right off) and then cover in butter and devour.

Comment

I was at an Asian market yesterday and you are making me wish I had grabbed some of these.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalPumpkin View Post
                      I was at an Asian market yesterday and you are making me wish I had grabbed some of these.
                      They are so buttery and moist so good

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
                        Wish I could get these in the UK!!!

Isn't they're a Hawaiian version also.

From London England UK
                        You can buy them in the UK, some of the common supermarkets sell them. Found some in Morrisons.
                        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                          You can buy them in the UK, some of the common supermarkets sell them. Found some in Morrisons.
                          Really.

Purple sweet potatoes in morrisons?

What area ?

From London England UK

Comment

Working...
                          X