Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we feel about sweet potatoes for fat loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming the poster meant cheat as in "tastes so good it's like cheating"
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I started with .5 lb sweet potato with .3 tbsp of butter with my daily 3 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon post workout. I have now bumped up to .7-.85 lb of sweet potato PWO. I also due to not enough calories am eating one with dinner as well. I had roughly 175g of carbs from sweet potatoes yesterday and I killed it today at boot camp. I'm also 6' 160lbs so I have no weight to lose just lean out more and try my best to lose that lower belly flab. ZC and VLC didn't do it for me so now I'm bumping carbs over 75g on most days

Comment

I thought a carb refeed only worked if was only 1-2 times per week and not every day?

You don't have to ask us if the sweet potato is hindering the weight loss. Your body will tell you. If you're still losing fat, the potato is fine. If you hit a plateau, it's not. And I guess it depends on what you mean by a "whole" sweet potato. Those things can grow to the size of footballs!
        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
          I thought a carb refeed only worked if was only 1-2 times per week and not every day?

You don't have to ask us if the sweet potato is hindering the weight loss. Your body will tell you. If you're still losing fat, the potato is fine. If you hit a plateau, it's not. And I guess it depends on what you mean by a "whole" sweet potato. Those things can grow to the size of footballs!
          Please point me in the direction of said football sized sweet potatoes as I will take a dozen

Comment

Originally posted by paint94979 View Post
            Please point me in the direction of said football sized sweet potatoes as I will take a dozen
            They taste kinda crummy once they get so big IMO..... Kinda like the baseball bat zucchini ya know?

Comment

Try the farmer's markets or natural food markets. The farmers sell everything they harvest and don't hold to supermarket standards of uniformity or perfection:

Zucchini tastes horrid at any size. A favorite tactic of women's magazines is to wedge a slice of baseball bat zucchini in a bun to approximate a grilled hamburger patty, evidently ignoring the cesspool of slimy seedy guck in the middle. Just '"drizzle a little olive oil on it for the taste your family will love!" Uh, no. And no, I won't buy your rag mag. Or anything that's advertised in it.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                They taste kinda crummy once they get so big IMO..... Kinda like the baseball bat zucchini ya know?
                That makes perfect sense... I find smaller zucchinis
                Have much better flavor

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                  Try the farmer's markets or natural food markets. The farmers sell everything they harvest and don't hold to supermarket standards of uniformity or perfection:

dat sweet potato...

Comment

Originally posted by jilly View Post
                    I intermittent fast everyday, mostly because I just don't get hungry until lunch time. I would IF even if I didn't know that it was a thing haha anyways, I've read that if you IF, that you can get away with eating a little lax when you do finally eat. My favorite meal lately has been (kinda weird.. but) scrambled eggs with a little bit of butter, and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon. This is almost like a cheat meal to me, its super satisfying and I could eat it every day. But if the sweet potato would hinder weight loss, I won't make it a regular part of my meals. Does anyone else make starchy carbs a part of their everyday diet and still lose weight?

I'm about 25 lbs away from goal, if that helps. Trying to lose about 8-10% body fat. Have been trying to do low carb with once a week refeeds but I feel that if I could just incorporate low amounts of the carbs during the week, I wont feel so deprived by the time Friday gets here. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also, I don't work out often, was doing a 3x/week weight training sesh but have fallen off the wagon. Gonna start back up soon.

I find that when it comes to trying to fat loss, it's best to eat those type of meals either before or after you workout since your muscles will either need the fuel for your workout or afterwards, your muscles needs to replenish it's glycogen stores as fast as possible. Also, sweet potatoes are considered moderately higher on the glycemic index scale so they cause a moderate insulin spike in your body which could possibly prevent you from losing anymore unwanted fat when you get to a certain point in your weight loss journey. Anyways, just my two cents.
                    Last edited by clewis217; 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM.
                    223 Delicious & Healthy Paleo Recipes:

Get them here.

Comment

Working...
                    X