I'm super acidic- WHY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm super acidic- WHY?

So pardon for the TMI but lately I've been having bladder issues. I've been to two doctors and been tested twice for UTI and I'm clean. However, the second doctor tested my urine PH and I'm as acidic as the chart goes. I'm baffled by this because I eat a ton of produce, drink a lot of white tea and herbal teas and water plus generally a shot of apple cider vinegar. I do eat animal products (meat, eggs, a little cheese), other than cheese I do not consume dairy, and have one cup of coffee per day. I haven't had any alcohol this week, and no sweets and no processed foods. Overall I would estimate my diet to be quite healthy and well balanced on meat, vegetables and a little fruit. Outside of diet, what would impact my body's acidity/alkalinity? My doctor is having me start taking baking soda today to try and bring my body back to a neutral pH. I had a full blood panel done but the results of that won't be back for a day or two. My doc is thinking that acidity of my urine is causing my bladder irritation, but she doesn't know what is causing my urine to be so acidic. Ideas?
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Are you adrenally fatigued?

If so, your adrenals will not produce enough aldosterone, which tells your kidneys to retain sodium. Without enough sodium, your cells don't get enough minerals (calcium, magnesium) via the sodium potassium pump. That can cause you to have symptoms related to not having enough minerals, even if you consume them. One of the symptoms of mineral deficiency is being too acidic. Another symptom is muscle cramping.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough.

http://thesourpathisthesweetest.com/

Comment

This might help. Or not.

The pH Myth: Part 1

The Acid-Alkaline Myth: Part 2
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Acidity should be blocked by mucus, like in the stomach. I'd investigate mucus production rather than pH adjustment. First, eliminate stress.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

also, try to drink more filtered water. Not tea or coffee but just water. It helps to dilute the acid a bit. You might need to use the bathroom more often but your kidneys might need the help.
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback. I may indeed be mineral deficient, because I do also get frequent leg cramps which is new for me in the past year. My diet is heavy on the vegetables and fruit so this would probably be some sort of an absorption issue. I'll explore that with my doctor.

I will read those links, and I will add just plain water to my diet. I must admit that much of my fluid intake is done as herbal or regular tea rather than plain water.

Comment

Maybe some bone broth for added minerals? Just a thought.

Comment

Applegirl- Thanks, I might try that. Bone broth is one of the primal staples I have yet to try, mostly because it seems to take a long time to make. I'll have to read up on the forum about it a little, maybe it's not as hard as I think.

Comment

Pressure cooker bone broth is super quick or go crock-pot for continuous broth.

Comment

Ferti, thanks. I don't have a pressure cooker but I have a crock pot.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                      Ferti, thanks. I don't have a pressure cooker but I have a crock pot.
                      Easy Peasy!
                      It takes time to make, but most of it is waiting time. If you have a crock pot, you're golden.
                      Put a few nice knuckle bones and marrow bones in there (you can roast them ahead for extra flavor, but def not necessary).
                      Put in enough water to cover bones, and a tblsp of Apple cider Vinegar. Set crockpot on low and let go for 24 hours. Just check every now and then to make sure bones are covered. Some crockpots evaporate water, and some don't. If you need to add more water, make sure it is hot.
                      The last 6 hours or so, toss in a cut up onion, celery, some carrots, bay leaf (or whatever aromatics you have).
                      When it is finished, strain it into another pot/or bowl, set in fridge and let cool,
                      Scrape fat off of the top and you have a wonderful jelled broth to heat up and drink and it is also perfect stock for any soups/stews.
                      You will also need to salt and pepper to taste. I do the salt when I add the vegi's but some do it at the beginning and some at the end. It's up to you. You really can't go wrong.

If I'm home all day, I'll make one batch in the crockpot and another on the stove (that is about an 8 hour process). It's a bit messy, but well worth it! Freeze a couple of containers and you're set for a few weeks.

It's really easy, it just takes time. Everyone will walk in your house and smell the wonderous aroma!

Don't forget, if you roast a chicken, you can do the same, and it is a much shorter process. A few hours stovetop, maybe 8 or so crockpot. Just toss the carcass in there and follow the same procedure.

Wonderful project for a cool fall or cold winter weekend.

Comment

Applegirl, wow thanks! That does sound really good, and not too hard.

Comment

Hey Dee, Might be worth looking into your lrginine intake, as that can make the body lean towards acidity if it's not balanced with lysine. Do you consume many nuts or seeds? A lot of spinach? Chocolate?
                          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                          X