Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tea/Caffeine issues- cycling caffeine. Help needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am coffee addict myself and I am wondering if I am doing more harm then good for myself by consuming supermarket coffee.

Would like to get opinions as well is there some mental benefits quiting coffee.

As far as energy that caffeine provides there is other tip: try cold showers or just cold plunges in pool, lake or ocean. It feels pretty much same and has maybe even stronger effect. Not for very long though

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
      In summary, I love coffee, I continue to drink it because the pleasure and energy high outweighs the negatives even though those negatives are pretty bad for me. I will probably continue to cycle it on and off unfortunately. After reading what I just wrote it really does seem like I am a drug addict and my drug of choice is coffee
      Just curious- can you really feel the "energy high" you've mentioned after on-going consumption, for, let's say, a few months? Back in the time when I used to drink weak, bagged tea I didn't feel any "rush" from green tea at all. It was rather the mild withdrawal symptoms I felt when I lowered my dose- while traveling, for example.

Now that I cycle it, I tend not to feel any real "rush" after a week or two of drinking. The feeling I'd get would rather be "back to kind of normal from totally down".

I do realize this is yet another argument for quitting this substance (wherever it comes from, tea or coffee) altogether. Just wondering how long I can go without it... this time. Again- planning for at least 2-3 months to fully assess the effect, but who knows.

Michal

Comment

How precisely did you experience overall mood/energy improvement after quitting and when? What I mean is... after, say, 7 days off caffeine, can I expect further improvements after much later, like 20-60 days?
        It's just that my motivation is totally down by day 7... seeking some more motivation to stick to caffeine-free phase at least for a couple of months to have better observations.
        This is my first time giving up the tea. I never even drunk coffee till my 30'ies, but always drunk a lot of tea, black, and lately just green and brewed from leaves only. Usually first 7-10 days after I drop coffee are bad, then everything stabilizes and I feel well, sleep better. There are no significant changes later on, but I always drunk tea, even if only green tea. I usually restarted coffee on a day I got poor sleep, then got poor sleep because I had coffee, and the vicious circle of caffeine dependency kicked in.

This time, with dropping both coffee and tea, I noticed that my sleep phase 1 extended to 6 hours from 5 hours, so I now wake up at 3 am, rather than 2 am for the first time, and I think the sleep is more restful. I think this is because while I drink water & broth during the day, I always brewed a pot of tea after supper (the healthful way, lol).

I still chew a bit of cocoa nibs once in a while, but they seem not to have much caffeine.

As for blood sugar, I did not measure it, but I know that initially a cup of coffee suppresses appetite for me, and then a couple hours later it comes back very strongly, which imo is indication of a sugar spike.

Overall, I think that changes to mood and sleep are worth giving up the coffee and tea for. I intend to stick with no coffee and tea this time, even if I had to manage a day of exhaustion and heal it in a more natural way (like, sleep!)

Prehistoric cultures chewed or brewed caffeine or other stimulants containing herbs to manage. Hoodia for example was used for chewing, coke leaves, coffee and cocoa itself and many, many more. Our ancestors experimented a lot with leaves and greens and mushrooms....
        Last edited by Leida; 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by mikekola View Post
          Just curious- can you really feel the "energy high" you've mentioned after on-going consumption, for, let's say, a few months? Back in the time when I used to drink weak, bagged tea I didn't feel any "rush" from green tea at all. It was rather the mild withdrawal symptoms I felt when I lowered my dose- while traveling, for example.

Now that I cycle it, I tend not to feel any real "rush" after a week or two of drinking. The feeling I'd get would rather be "back to kind of normal from totally down".

I do realize this is yet another argument for quitting this substance (wherever it comes from, tea or coffee) altogether. Just wondering how long I can go without it... this time. Again- planning for at least 2-3 months to fully assess the effect, but who knows.

Michal
          I do feel the energy kick for sure. But I make my coffee strong with a French press. You are correct though that after a few months you build up a tolerance for the caffeine and it doesn't hit you as hard. But I know one thing for sure, when I don't have coffee during my consumption phase I am pretty lethargic until I get my fix.
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Working...
          X