No announcement yet.

Question about my 14 year old girl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls reach their full height around two years after menarche. It's usually about two inches.

Give her some carbs. It won't hurt her. Carbs are great after sprinting!

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
      I was going to ask this as well. Is she having water after sprinting? I know the research says you don't "need" it then, but I find I'm thirsty after exercising. Definitely up her carbs as well. If you do a search, I'm sure Mark has written an article on it.
      I think mark's water info is nonsense. Much like his carb curve. But I digress...my water intake never changed from pre-paleo to now at least a gallon daily. Probably closer to a gallon and a half when it's hot out or on workout days.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
        So about 30g of carbs in the morning and 30g in the evening.

You have your young active growing daughter on a low carb diet, it's no wonder she's having issues. Feed her some rice cereals and orange juice and other palitable carbs that give her enough calories.
        Originally posted by Graycat View Post
        Please, do your teenage daughter a favor and don't allow or enable her to a severely restrictive diet like that. Teenagers need plenty of healthy carbs as well as good sourced dairy.
        Girls at that age are susceptible to developing eating disorders.
        Also, how do you know that she has reached her full adult height already?

I have a teen-aged kid of my own, and I simply make sure he doesn't eat highly processed junk, wheat in excess and nasty oils. I don't make him restrict macronutrients.
        Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        Uh, at 14 she's hardly done growing. I didn't stop growing a lot until around ~18, and even after that I added an additional inch or so before I was 21.

VLC is ridiculous at any age, specifically that young. Expect her to struggle in all aspects of life on that diet at that age.

When I was a teenager I ate even more carbs than I do now probably, and I couldn't imagine how bad I'd feel restricting my diet at that age. If my mom tried to control what I ate, I'd rebel and just eat at a friends house and sneak junk food all over the place. Have her eat her fill of fruit, and other starches, it really doesn't matter at that age. No one should be dieting, your metabolism is at its peak anyway.
        All kinds of truth here

Comment

Uh, at 14 she's hardly done growing. I didn't stop growing a lot until around ~18, and even after that I added an additional inch or so before I was 21.
          At least as far as height and physical development is concerned, girls tend to reach their max height much earlier than guys do, so using your example is not going to be directly useful when considering a woman. Most girls have growth spurts at about ages 11-13 while guys tend to have theirs at about 15-16 for example. It is why you often see at late elementary and early middle school levels, most guys are actually shorter than their female classmates on average. Then this reverses in high school because the guys continue to grow while a lot of the girls have already (mostly) stopped.

Now of course you do have to consider developing sexual characteristics in girls (breasts, etc.) that can continue to grow past the point where a girl has stopped growing at least vertically, so there's still some types of growth going on.
          Last edited by Drumroll; 09-10-2013, 07:07 PM.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
            At least as far as height and physical development is concerned, girls tend to reach their max height much earlier than guys do, so using your example is not going to be directly useful when considering a woman. Most girls have growth spurts at about ages 11-13 while guys tend to have theirs at about 15-16 for example. It is why you often see at late elementary and early middle school levels, most guys are actually shorter than their female classmates on average. Then this reverses in high school because the guys continue to grow while a lot of the girls have already (mostly) stopped.

Now of course you do have to consider developing sexual characteristics in girls (breasts, etc.) that can continue to grow past the point where a girl has stopped growing at least vertically, so there's still some types of growth going on.
            It depends, and I was using growing as a blanket statement really. I only included my height for an example.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

It depends, and I was using growing as a blanket statement really. I only included my height for an example.
              Actually, the age that someone has their main growth spurt is a good predictor of overall height. Those who have their spurts on the earlier side (both men and women), tend to be shorter on average. I'm pretty short myself, and low and behold, I had my growth spurt when the girls were having them.

I had a brief period where I was taller than almost anyone my age, and people thought I was going to be some kind of giant. But no, this didn't pan out... Heh.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yeah, I can testify to that. I didn't hit a major growth spurt until around almost 16, when I was 5'4, and my mom assumed I was going to be some kind of genetic failure(dad is 6'6, my mom is almost 6') and then I grew almost a foot over the summer.

Those growing pains...

Make America Great Again

Comment

Yeah, I can testify to that. I didn't hit a major growth spurt until around almost 16, when I was 5'4, and my mom assumed I was going to be some kind of genetic failure(dad is 6'6, my mom is almost 6') and then I grew almost a foot over the summer.

Those growing pains...

I'm maybe 5'6 myself, but I make the best of it. Woulda been nice to have another inch or two maybe, but eh, good things come in small packages, right?

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    I'm maybe 5'6 myself, but I make the best of it. Woulda been nice to have another inch or two maybe, but eh, good things come in small packages, right?

Anyone?
                    5'5 over here, and yes it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by max219 View Post
                      5'5 over here, and yes it sucks.
                      Short girls are expected, even in some cases, desired. But with men...?

Not so much.

But like I said, we have to make the best of it and do what we can to learn to live with it. I'm on the autistic spectrum as well and people on the autistic spectrum tend to be a little shorter on average. There are though, exceptions to this as always.

Comment

http://www.myliftkits.com/wp-content.../10/10-17c.jpg

LiftKits Shoe Inserts | Height Increasing Shoe Lifts | Men & Women

There you guys go!
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonCC View Post

Recently she started sprinting. Now she's having a problem where she eats til she's full (as always) but an hour or so later she's still physically full but feels hungry.

I'm thinking it's related to the sprinting.
                          Oh man this happens to me, too, and I'm an old lady who eats way more carbohydrates than your daughter! I have no idea what to do about it.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

How long has she been extra hungry? It seems pretty common around here for people to experience highly variable appetite - eating like crazy for a few days or weeks and then cycling back down to needing less food.

It could just be a natural, but temporary, bump. If I am reading correctly, it doesn't really seem like she is eating all that much - would it be a problem for her to just eat more if she is hungry?
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Those growing pains...

I didn't stop growing until I was about 22 as well. And didn't really start until I was around 16 or 17 as well. I was always the shortest in school but now when I run into the "tall" people from school I'm at least a few inches higher.

Comment

I was still growing after I left school, maybe didn't stop completely till 19 or 20 when I finally reached 5'4".
                                Annie Ups the Ante
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Working...
                                X