Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg white protein vs Whey protein?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Egg white protein vs Whey protein?

    I haven't seen much written here about egg white protein. I'm wondering if anyone uses it and also if there is a downside to it. Does whey protein have an advantage over egg white protein?

    I'll acknowledge from the start that both are processed foods and shouldn't be a major component of anyone's overall eating plan.

    Thanks in advance for any info, personal experience, etc.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  • #2
    Hi, Joanie. Egg white protein is great, but it can't compete with whey for BCAA content. Are you having trouble hitting your protein requirements from whole foods?

    For my current situation (too damn small), I use NOW foods unflavored whey, because I can buy a 10 lb bag (about the size of a bed pillow) for <$90 and it lasts me months and months.
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • #3
      I utilize both types on training days

      Comment


      • #4
        I use egg whites but not whey, because I find them more neutral in flavor and more versatile. I love souffle-style carb-up dishes with egg whites, be that with bananas, berries, sweet potatoes, tuna or grains. In cold applications, I also love egg whites in smoothies and shakes because it gives great texture and does not spoil flavor the way whey does. And, obviously, whey without artificial ingrediaents doesn't seem to happen.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          Hi, Joanie. Egg white protein is great, but it can't compete with whey for BCAA content. Are you having trouble hitting your protein requirements from whole foods?

          For my current situation (too damn small), I use NOW foods unflavored whey, because I can buy a 10 lb bag (about the size of a bed pillow) for <$90 and it lasts me months and months.
          Sometimes I don't hit it, so it would be the occasional supplement. My appetite seems to be decreasing - must be old age.

          I found the NOW brand on Azon (Vitacost doesn't carry it) for a decent price (not nearly as good as your price though) and it looks pure enough for my needs for sure. If I blended it with water, cocoa powder and ice, would it blend well?

          Originally posted by fkjr2 View Post
          I utilize both types on training days
          Do you have a preference or find that one works better for some applications than others? I'd be primarily using it as a smoothy type thing.

          Originally posted by Leida View Post
          I use egg whites but not whey, because I find them more neutral in flavor and more versatile. I love souffle-style carb-up dishes with egg whites, be that with bananas, berries, sweet potatoes, tuna or grains. In cold applications, I also love egg whites in smoothies and shakes because it gives great texture and does not spoil flavor the way whey does. And, obviously, whey without artificial ingredients doesn't seem to happen.
          Are you using actual egg whites or a powder? If powder, do you have a brand you like? I understand about the whey and the ingredients. I did a comparison, and the one pure, organic whey product I found cost almost twice as much as grass fed ground beef per protein gram.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

          B*tch-lite

          Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            Sometimes I don't hit it, so it would be the occasional supplement. My appetite seems to be decreasing - must be old age.

            I found the NOW brand on Azon (Vitacost doesn't carry it) for a decent price (not nearly as good as your price though) and it looks pure enough for my needs for sure. If I blended it with water, cocoa powder and ice, would it blend well?
            Just type the name of it in google. You can find a better price from some online nutrition warehouse sites, like I do, if you want to get the 10-lber.

            Cocoa powder is what you'll have the hardes time blending in that mixture. I always toss in an egg yolk when I want to blend something with cocoa powder, because the lecithin makes it mix more easily.

            But for your purposes, I don't think there's a big difference between using any quality animal-sourced protein. Whey's probably cheapest and most readily available.
            The Champagne of Beards

            Comment


            • #7
              RM, thank you! You've helped me a lot.

              Oh, and I'm always happy to throw an egg yolk into something.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

              B*tch-lite

              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

              Comment

              Working...
              X