Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are vegetables necessary for a healthy body?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark doesn't know everything.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
      Why or why not?
      Okay, well Mark is the creator of the Primal Blueprint which is what this forum is about so to me what he says hold a lot of weight. Here is another article about why we need vegetables and this one has a ton of studies to back it up.

Comment

Here is the article, Broccoli: A Potent Tool Against Osteoarthritis and Cancer.

Comment

Just blowing the whistle on the pseudo-science. All the poorly-absorbed nutrients stored in the flesh of plants can better be obtained through animal products and the parts of plants that WANT to be eaten. That means berries and fruits, things with seeds designed to pass through the gut which intend to make themselves beneficial to the eater. Broccoli stalks and similar play no such games, and are very bad to eat (poorly digested, irritating, cause goiters, etc.) raw, and only marginally good cooked. Better than starving, but rather the opposite of necessary.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            Just blowing the whistle on the pseudo-science. All the poorly-absorbed nutrients stored in the flesh of plants can better be obtained through animal products and the parts of plants that WANT to be eaten. That means berries and fruits, things with seeds designed to pass through the gut which intend to make themselves beneficial to the eater. Broccoli stalks and similar play no such games, and are very bad to eat (poorly digested, irritating, cause goiters, etc.) raw, and only marginally good cooked. Better than starving, but rather the opposite of necessary.
            Ah, there’s no need to be so hard lined about it, though . Many plants have excellent medicinal qualities that aren’t found in fruits and meats. Oregon grape root and garlic have amazing antibacterial properties that kill things medicinal antibiotics can’t (like Group B Strep). Onions and garlic also have a great effect on digestion. As for leaves: Dandelion and nettle are great diuretics as well as store houses of vitamins. Red raspberry leaf helps with labor pains and speeding up the second stage of labor. Don’t forget about the vitamin K in kale, nettle, etc. Sure, these can be found in meats, but they are very bioavailable in leafy greens. Even cats eat grass…

Comment

Yeah, but do we need them?
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

One could probably get by quite well without them. People live many years lacking major nutrients (those people who eat nothing but potatoes or chicken nuggets, etc). They're bodies create them. When we eat the whole animal, we get a lot of those veggies in their intestines, etc. Fruits also contain a lot of the same nutrients. But, I do think veggies have their place, if not every day for everyone, then at least medicinally. You're the one telling me to eat hoards of kale before we go to the hospital to give birth so they don't have to give a vitamin K shot...
                Last edited by Aldergirl; 09-08-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

My 2 cents: I only use veggies for color, aesthetic and taste. 3/4 of my veggies are actually fruits used as veggies. Real veggies ? mmm, not a big priority, especially leafy greens, I don't see much point eating them even though I don't mind a green salad once in a while like the salade nicoise, really like that one

Comment

My favorite veggie is bacon.

Comment

i'm happy to see this thread. my gut just churns and churns and other unpleasantries when i eat veggies.

those that don't what do your menus look like?

Comment

To make sure I get all my micronutrients, I eat liver, berries, eggs, oysters and small canned fish, sometimes seaweed, some dairy (been adding it back in, still on trial!), and bacon for thiamine. Molasses, I have in my coffee every day. Look up molasses, it's chocked! And I make soup that has the giblets in when we buy a whole chicken for stew, and make bone broth, etc. Even as such, I do occasionally eat a cooked dandelion or some carrots in the stew, etc. I happen to love cooked carrots. And sometimes I have nuts, but not many lately.

One could probably get by quite well without them. People live many years lacking major nutrients (those people who eat nothing but potatoes or chicken nuggets, etc). They're bodies create them. When we eat the whole animal, we get a lot of those veggies in their intestines, etc. Fruits also contain a lot of the same nutrients. But, I do think veggies have their place, if not every day for everyone, then at least medicinally. You're the one telling me to eat hoards of kale before we go to the hospital to give birth so they don't have to give a vitamin K shot...
                        Yes, they have their uses. Especially medicinal qualities. One reason to avoid them to a degree, science has barely scraped the surface of what the chemicals in plants to to people.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
                          Even cats eat grass…
                          The reason cats eat grass is it helps them throw up.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
                            Wow, what an unbelieveablely rude response. Here you go, from Mark himself, Why We Should Eat Leafy Greens | Mark's Daily Apple.
                            Yeah, eat up your vegetables ye stubborn meatheads! Together with fruits they will balance out all the acids from meat and protein food that can lead to metabolic acidosis, and may protect your kidneys as well:

Fruits and vegetables may help protect the kidneys
                            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                              I actually feel better eating low fiber junk food than a lot of vegetables
                              This is me. A few weeks ago my husband and I had a LOT of cooked broccoli & cauliflower at dinner. Fast foward to the middle of the night when I woke up out of a dead sleep with the worst, crampy, bloated feeling in my adbomen. Took me about two hours to find a comfortable position & fall back asleep. The next morning, my husband said he had similar pains (though to a lesser degree.) Neither of us has touched those particular veggies ever since. But yeah, I don't feel that bad after eating fried food or sweets of what-have-you. Broccoli - vile weed! (For me, anyway.)

Comment

Working...
                              X