Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Deal With Junk Food at the Office?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually work in a hospital as well and experience the same thing. We have frequent lunch meetings where they almost always serve big sandwiches covered in margarine and processed meat/cheese along with salad covered in ranch dressing and pop, followed by cookies/squares for dessert. The only exception to this are the days when they order pizza instead! Yeesh.

I have found the "don't" vs "can't" mentality to be very helpful. It seems like such a simple little thing but changing something into a decision as opposed to feeling like you're being deprived of something is pretty powerful. Even things like "I want to go to the gym today" instead of "I have to go to the gym today" make a big difference for me.

I also think bringing in some healthy snacks can make things easier. I know the OP said they were fasting but if it's not feasible to make it through these mornings without binging on the junk, maybe it's not the best option at this point? At least until you feel more able to turn it down? It's also true that it's easy to feel a little excluded from the group if everyone else is eating and you aren't, so having some healthy options there would also combat that.

Comment

I ALWAYS bring food with me. Cans of fish, burgers (pre made), etc... My will power also really helps me avoid those things. I just think about how deadly they are for my body - works like a charm!

Comment

One of our offices at our small business is a Mecca of Sugar, as well. I don't work in there all day, thank goodness, but am in there regularly. I practice and I-Don't-See-It technique most of the time, and then we have a thing that my co-workers have come to know as Fabulous Friday where a little cheating is allowed.

Another thought, can you skip lunch instead of breakfast? Have a big protein/fat breakfast and then brave The Table of Evil? If not, then maybe keep a wonderful lunch at the ready so that when it is finally time to eat, you can bring it out post haste and get your grub on.

Ditto on the coffee curbing the appetite.

And, ditto on your co-workers shifting to the new reality of what you do and don't eat. I think we sometimes put too much pressure on ourselves thinking we will offend somebody. They shouldn't be offended, usually are not offended, and, if they are, they are buttheads and I give you permission to wear clothes they will be ever-so-jealous they can't get into.

Stacy15 has a great technique going there: check out their lumpy butts and joint/health complaints ask if you want the same. That usually kills the urge for awhile at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ksagle View Post
          I have found the "don't" vs "can't" mentality to be very helpful. It seems like such a simple little thing but changing something into a decision as opposed to feeling like you're being deprived of something is pretty powerful. Even things like "I want to go to the gym today" instead of "I have to go to the gym today" make a big difference for me.
          Exactly!
          This works incredibly well in the grocery store too. Last Friday I was hungry when I did our weekly shopping, but by reframing / realigning my mentality, I was not tempted in the least to buy any junk. It was liberating beyond belief ~ by simply not entertaining the thought, "Buy chips, or no?" and just making it a fact that I would NOT buy chips (or whatever) made it so simple.

Comment

Agree on the lower back fat!
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

We always have a monthly cake, plus someone always bakes birthday cakes for most everyone's birthday. I used to partake in a small piece, but now I just don't have any. I remember the way it makes me feel and the way it makes my teeth feel with all that sugar on it. And I think of all the processed ingredients. No thanks.

My friend was leading a safety meeting just a couple days ago and got food that appealed to the masses, donuts. He knows how healthy I eat and that it is delicious. I bring him samplings every once in a while. He actually felt bad that I couldn't have the donuts. But it was something that appealed to the masses. Sad right?

I baked some paleo cookies for another coworker yesterday and they beat the pants off any cake/cookies/crap that is normally served.

Comment

Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
                We always have a monthly cake, plus someone always bakes birthday cakes for most everyone's birthday. I used to partake in a small piece, but now I just don't have any. I remember the way it makes me feel and the way it makes my teeth feel with all that sugar on it. And I think of all the processed ingredients. No thanks.

My friend was leading a safety meeting just a couple days ago and got food that appealed to the masses, donuts. He knows how healthy I eat and that it is delicious. I bring him samplings every once in a while. He actually felt bad that I couldn't have the donuts. But it was something that appealed to the masses. Sad right?

I baked some paleo cookies for another coworker yesterday and they beat the pants off any cake/cookies/crap that is normally served.
                Birthday cakes were just brought up in my office this morning. My birthday was last week, and another coworkers is next week. Someone said we should have bday cake this week to celebrate both. Someone actually responded "but Stacy doesn't eat cake". Another replied "her loss". I laughed inside

Donuts are often brought in here too. One sweet lady brings me a cucumber if she ever picks them up, knowing I don't eat the donuts.

Comment

After me turning down every single sweet, baked good, and sitting out birthday cake after birthday cake, they stopped bothering to ask. When I walk in the kitchen, I see the poison of the day and keep walking. An allergy to just about every processed good goes a LONG way. That donut isn't worth the sulfite migraine.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                    Just say No! No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing dog-nuts down your craw....if you eat it, it's becasue you choose to eat it. Just choose NOT to....
                    Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is as perfect as you are?
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                    X