Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Deal With Junk Food at the Office?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't eat it. Why being in the office would change my mind about ingesting crap ? I see software engineers all day long and they all have that look of sub-optimal health as made visible by their usually buttoned shirt stuck in their pants, putting in evidence their fat belly. Most of them have soft limbs and muscles, covered with a thick layer of skin fat. The worst is really the belly and lower back (most of my colleagues are men). You should see the mountain of foods they eat during lunch, and before and after ... sitting all day long, etc. I am amazed ...

Comment

Originally posted by CaveBug View Post
      Change the way you think about it. One of the biggest things that helped me was saying, "I don't" instead of "I can't". Can't makes you feel like you're being deprived, limited. Don't, to me, was more like I made a choice and what you have to offer isn't as important as it.

Sent from....right behind you....
      I completely agree with this approach. Sometimes it's all mental. I also try to be really picky about stuff. I've got great dark chocolate at home, I'm not going to eat a mediocre candy bar just because its there.

I guess I'm lucky though because my office usually doesn't have baked goods around, partly because a couple of my coworkers are diabetic.

Comment

There are a lot of colleagues at my hospital that also brings in bakes goods. I just look at all those baked goods and laugh on the inside. I feel good when I'm the rare ones that can resist and don't mind looking at them...its callled willpower.

When colleagues let me know to try I say I will try later...and also give them a white lie on how good it was despite not taking any lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
          I feel good when I'm the rare ones that can resist and don't mind looking at them...its callled willpower.
          I don't know man, I don't feel it is willpower in my case, I just see the pseudo-goodies being picked up by the guys that eat it, and then my eyes happen to look at the guys' bellies and limp limbs: an absolute NOGO ...

Comment

Imagine the donuts all covered in maggots.

Unless you like eating maggots, of course.

Just bring your own "junk food" and eat it instead if you can't do mind over matter. If you can't go until lunch without wolfing down something you don't want to eat, you probably need to rethink your diet.
            be the hair that knots with my hair
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
              Unless you like eating maggots, of course.
              Hey, I believe they like them in Corsica or Sardinia : they eat a special cheese only when maggots are crawling all over it, they love the shit! I saw them ...

Comment

Mmmmmmm.

I mean ewwwwww!

No, I would eat insects if I had to. But not maggots. They're just so......juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
                  Mmmmmmm.

I mean ewwwwww!

No, I would eat insects if I had to. But not maggots. They're just so......juicy.
                  haha, here it is just for you little vase : Casu marzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Gah!! "also known as Italian maggot cheese"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_-JzM-YQg

Comment

Willpower? Puh-lease. That is at best a temporary solution. I can look at pork anything (including bacon) all day long and not blink an eye because I don't eat pork. It isn't willpower, it is just a food I don't and will never ever eat. Period. Many foods fall into that category. That is not the issue.

The whole issue the OP is struggling with is they are surrounded consistently by unhealthy food they find very tempting (whether you agree that food is tempting isn't the point). The point is they wanted to know if you are surrounded by food you love and can see and smell it all day long (and no you can't walk away because you work there!) but you don't want to eat it, how do you handle it?

Comment

Just say No! No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing dog-nuts down your craw....if you eat it, it's becasue you choose to eat it. Just choose NOT to....

Comment

It might help that you are not the only one with that issue!!!
                          Here with people's bday they take tons of cakes and sweets with them and I really have no backbone at all...
                          They are calling to me from the otherside of the office... Hell, I can smell them even they are on the lower floors of the office...it's been torture....
                          Life with be a lot easier if I was allergic to cake... really...

I haven't got a solution yet but I'm really supporting you in slaying the office-beast...
                          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rimam1 View Post
                            I work in IT at a hospital. My co-workers bring in donuts, cake, and brownies on a weekly basis. Unfortunately I sit right by the table that they put them at.
                            This is me right here. Every freaking week. Sometimes twice a week. I just tell them that I need to move all the stuff to another table because I don't want to cough or sneeze on the food. You'd think doctors and nurses working in an ICU would have better eating habits, wouldn't you?

Comment

This....

Comment

People are tired and stressed because they eat sugar (probably for breakfast) and then they have treats at work because - hey they've been working hard and they deserve a treat right? I was like this for years.

Even if you avoid those foods you still risk subconsciously feeling left out - because people sharing food is a primal thing even if its cakes - the key is to ensure that you are happy with your decision and realize that you can still be part of the group -maybe even produce some healthy snack and stand around eating that whilst they're eating the cake.
                                Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Working...
                                X