No announcement yet.

How many calories do YOU eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am female. I can cut a ton of calories and not lose, but I can also eat a ton and not gain. I think the body down and up regulates metabolism based on amount of food to an extent. I am not saying calories do not matter at all, but I don't believe a straight CICO-weightloss correlation.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Nah, CICO. CICO!!! Women are just bigger liars about how much they put in their mouths. [/facetious]
      Its all that right brain left brain stuff. You know men are just better at math so we are superior at counting our calories.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        Its all that right brain left brain stuff. You know men are just better at math so we are superior at counting our calories.
        Well, and the fact that women are also inherently deceitful.

citations: 1: the bible, 2: the famous redneck adage about things that bleed for several days but don't die
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Also women get the vapors.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Well, and the fact that women are also inherently deceitful.

citations: 1: the bible, 2: the famous redneck adage about things that bleed for several days but don't die
            Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            Also women get the vapors.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
            quoted for truth

Comment

For me it works on the ratios

I am 5 ft 1 and 122 lbs and 58

Only exercise is walking 6+ k/ day

To maintain the above I can eat about 1400 cals BUT only if the carbs are below 100 g doesn't matter how many cals if that carb figure goes above 150 g I will put on weight.....

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                I am female. I can cut a ton of calories and not lose, but I can also eat a ton and not gain. I think the body down and up regulates metabolism based on amount of food to an extent. I am not saying calories do not matter at all, but I don't believe a straight CICO-weightloss correlation.
                The major part of calories out, is your metabolism. I think that is the confusion for many of the anti-CICO arguments. Everyone's metabolism reacts a little differently to different types of food. Since I've been at my goal weight, not skinny by any means, my body does the same as yours. I may go up a few pounds but those pounds disappear as fast as they arrived. My body seems to be better at self regulating than when I was heavier. The actual formula to describe a real life CICO would be very long but it basically will amount to CI-CO=W, or some derivation of that.
                Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Timber View Post
                  The major part of calories out, is your metabolism. I think that is the confusion for many of the anti-CICO arguments. Everyone's metabolism reacts a little differently to different types of food. Since I've been at my goal weight, not skinny by any means, my body does the same as yours. I may go up a few pounds but those pounds disappear as fast as they arrived. My body seems to be better at self regulating than when I was heavier. The actual formula to describe a real life CICO would be very long but it basically will amount to CI-CO=W, or some derivation of that.
                  Well sure! No need to open that can of worms . It is indeed as you say CO is big. CI can easily change CO, as can food quality, timing, stress levels, sleep, lighting, time of the month (ladies and some guys I guess), exercise, electromagnetic waves, solar flares, toaster ovens, and of course Canadians. So we can all agree that in the end CICO is ultimately correct.

Now that I think of it my "maintenance level" is much like others have responded.... vast. I can way overeat or even undereat and remain where I am. I'm about 15% bf by calipers though, so I'm cool with that. Sure I can fluctuate 5-10lbs in a week (or more like this past weekend), but I always settle back to this weight as long as I'm eating 80% primal.
                  Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-06-2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Don't try to understand women. Only women understand women.

That is why they hate each other.

TRUTH
                    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I've been eating the same 1200-1400 calories for many years. It was only when I replaced carb calories with fat/protein calories that I saw a difference in weight.
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I'm currently trying to bulk. 3500kcal/day and still not working. Down 2kg in the last month due to low-level activity, walking and weather. It seems I can't fight the 'Summer slim'. Hopefully I'll put on some mass over Autumn if I just keep at it.
                        --
                        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                          Don't try to understand women. Only women understand women.

That is why they hate each other.

TRUTH
                          That's the first I heard of that. I don't understand women and I am one. Then again, I don't dislike other women, so... Maybe you're onto something.
                          --
                          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                            I've been eating the same 1200-1400 calories for many years. It was only when I replaced carb calories with fat/protein calories that I saw a difference in weight.
                            Oxide, you and I seem to be on the same page

This is the same for me. I've lessened the carbs (hovering between 25-35/day) and replaced with fat and protein. I now find myself not snacking anymore and only eating twice a day. And I've lost two pounds since Wednesday! Highly recommend trying this if you're trying to lose fat. My total calories have been averaging 1100-1200/day.

Comment

On metabolisms.

Skinny & Fat Metabolisms? | BBC Documentary - YouTube

Overweight & Slow Metabolism? | BBC Documentary - YouTube
                              Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                              https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                              MFP Food Diary:
                              http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                              (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I don't know what my calorie intake is anymore. To lose weight, just find what puts you off your chow. I have had to change it up many times to keep weight loss going.

Now what works: eating bland paleo food (yes, Stephan Guyenet is right - this works for me) with no snacking and taking MCT oil shots Shangri-La style (in the middle of flavorless, two-hour windows). The only starch: potatoes or sweet potatoes, plain.
                                2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                                2010 Paleo Diet
                                2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Comment

Working...
                                X