Today's Anti-Fiber Guest Blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Anti-Fiber Guest Blog

Dietary Fiber Is Bad for Sex – That’s the Only Claim About It That Isn’t a Myth | Mark's Daily Apple

So, Mark let this guy do a guest piece. This is from Konstantin Monastyrsky, famed hater of fiber. He came to the forum a while back and couldn't stand his own against us, now he's an 'expert'.

His main problem is that he is lumping all people together and lumping all fiber together. People are different, fiber is different.

To say that everyone needs no fiber is saying that Mark's Big Ass Salad idea is idiotic and saying that gut microbes don't exist (or are inconsequential). The idea behind the BAS was to feed prebiotic fiber to gut microbes to keep our guts healthy.

If one is looking at fiber as strictly the fiber content on nutrition labels, and then eats lots of healthy whole grain bread to satisfy that requirement--then yes, it's an exercise in futility.

But, if one reads this article, they may be led to believe it is best to avoid fiber containing foods like onion, avocado, leeks, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, etc... This is a fool's mission and Konstantin is a fool to think he can write an MDA article and fool us into buying his books.

Relax man, what we're after is resistant starch, not necessarily fibers. And you don't really eat onions, garlic, etc, for the fibers but for the great taste they have and add to your meals.

Comment

Here's my issue:

Fiber - noun - food ingredients non-digestible in the small intestine

Prebiotic - noun - food ingredients non-digestible in the small intestine that stimulate the growth and/or activity of bacteria in the digestive system in ways beneficial to health. A prebiotic is a selectively fermented ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and/or activity in the gastrointestinal microflora that confers benefits upon host well-being and health.

According to these definitions, there are lots of fibers that aren't prebiotics, but all prebiotics are fiber. To demonize all fiber is just plain wrong.

Comment

It's hard to find a more collected bunch of bullshit in one article than that one right there. What a bunch of useless propaganda.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Derp - lol...I know, right? Did you see his big Metamucil warning image?

Metamucil is made from psyllium seed powder. Here's what Mark Sisson says about psyillium seed:

Psyllium seed powder, however, is mostly soluble fiber. That means it’s a prebiotic, fermentable fiber that can feed and support your gut flora and spur the creation of beneficial short chain fatty acids like butyrate. In fact, psyllium seed has been shown to increase butyrate production by 42%, an effect that lasted for two months after treatment.

I’m not a fan of pounding out massive dump after massive dump just because you can. I mean, sure, you don’t want to be stopped up and unable to go when you want to, but there’s nothing inherently good or beneficial about padding your bowel stats and rending your bowel walls with insoluble fiber. Soluble, prebiotic fiber? Via the production of short chain fatty acids, that stuff can actually help reduce colonic inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, protect against obesity, serve as an energy source for the colon, and possibly even protect against colon cancer. Thus, a case for psyllium seed fiber supplementation can certainly be made.

Verdict: Cautiously Primal, so long as you’re using the seed powder. But I’d rather you get your fermentable fiber in whole food form. Psyllium husk? Not Primal.

Read more: Is Psyllium Husk Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
          You ever see the warning on a cup of McDonald's coffee: May cause serious burns! Wow, who'd want to drink that?

Comment

I haven't read the whole thing.... just a quick skim and I knew two things were going to occur:

1. Resistant starch lovers were gonna have a shit fit.
            2. Fruit lovers were gonna have a shit fit.

Never a dull moment. Hehehe

Its actually quite amusing because Peat is a proponent of the sterile gut idea that fits this guys mode, but then he lays waste to fruit for the sugar content. He disses fiber in general to piss off all the RS advocates as well. He's like the only person on Earth that could bring RS and Peat advocates together! Its so awesome.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

The argument for RS is really just an argument for prebiotics. When I read articles like today's blog I see why nobody can make heads or tails out of 'fiber' and prebiotics.

What needs to be done is to define a minimum amount of prebiotics we need for gut health, where those prebiotics are found, and then separate those food items out of the fiber vernacular.

It's fun to single out resistant starch because the word 'starch' is so scary to many, but in reality the discussion needs to be: "Prebiotics, what do we really need?"

I mean, heck, Mark's blog is littered with references to the importance of prebiotics and gut microbes. His Sunday Link Love had two references alone, so clearly the man sees the importance. This article set the gut microbe/prebiotic discussion back a long ways.
              Last edited by otzi; 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I have the distinct feeling that nobody who actually is familiar with Mark's way of thinking actually read that article before posting.

M.

Comment

I think Konstantine just suffers from putting too much hyperbole into everything he has to say. Basically nobody needs to supplement fiber. Whatever you get in the normal course of eating primal foods should be sufficient and there probably is no actual requirement for any fiber at all. You'd have to work hard to go zero fiber just like you'd have to work hard to go zero carb. So supplementing and completely avoiding are two ends of an extreme you do not need to do.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

"The ratio of digestible carbohydrates (sugars) to fiber in vegetables, cereals, breads, beans, and legumes is, on average, similar to fruits. Thus, no matter how hard you try to mix’n’match, you’ll be getting harmed all the same."

Really??? So cabbage and sprouts and celery really has a similar ratio of fibre to sugars as mangoes, pineapple and fresh dates????? I would give a concise opinion of this article but am far too polite :-P
                    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

Comment

The only problem I have with people pushing fiber is that they often times are pushing it to people who have other problems. Fiber will not help you with regularity and cramping if your problem is some sort of food intolerance. My digestion didn't get better on fiber, or my cramping for that matter, but both got better almost as soon as I stopped consuming dairy.

That being said, fiber does have legitimate uses, and as such, a person should make a decision about how much based upon their own body and their own life circumstances. Metamucil and Citracel can be quite helpful at coping with cravings during a fasting period without doing any harm to the body. As one example.

Comment

Anyone with a bit of time could make the exact same arguments FOR fiber using PubMed and Wikipedia. What needs to be done is a bit deeper digging–we evolved a gut that thrives on fermentable fibers and produces butyrate in return. To wholesale say all fiber is bad is total quackery designed to sell a book.

What we really need is a scientific consensus on what constitutes fermentable prebiotic fiber, what is the optimal dose. Al the other aspects of fiber are meaningless: soluble, non-soluble, stool bulking, etc… this means nothing except ways to market bakery products and junk food.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwards View Post
                          The only problem I have with people pushing fiber is that they often times are pushing it to people who have other problems.
                          I think anyone pushing 'fiber' is just as wrong as those pushing 'no-fiber'. The term 'fiber' is meaningless. Sawdust and styrofoam are fiber--don't eat it. What chaff is fiber--don't eat that.

Konstantin's problem is he's taking 'no-fiber' to dangerous heights and people are listening. There are now nearly two pages of comments on today's guest blog--mostly against his 'no fiber' stance. He chose to reply to only one comment so far--this is his answer:

Nida,

…because most people prefer to consume fruits for taste, flavor, etc… To some extent, fiber-rich vegetables are even more harmful than fruits because, in addition to a similar sugar content, they may contain more fiber, particularly a soluble kind, which may be even more damaging for children and older adults because its ill effects starts showing themselves in the small intestine.

Read more: Dietary Fiber Is Bad for Sex – That’s the Only Claim About It That Isn’t a Myth | Mark's Daily Apple
                          Ludicrous!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            I think Konstantine just suffers from putting too much hyperbole into everything he has to say. Basically nobody needs to supplement fiber. Whatever you get in the normal course of eating primal foods should be sufficient and there probably is no actual requirement for any fiber at all. You'd have to work hard to go zero fiber just like you'd have to work hard to go zero carb. So supplementing and completely avoiding are two ends of an extreme you do not need to do.
                            +1. I don't think Konstantin is anti-fiber from regular food. He's just against people pushing us to eat fiber from veggies, and then when we get constipation, pushing bran to keep us regular, and then pushing psyllium when the bran doesn't work, and then pushing pro-biotics when the gut gets all confused. Soon the side effects, and cures, and more side effects pile up until it's all a Rube Goldberg fiber machine which totally obscures the root cause, which is too much sugar and too many veggies. Simply eat real Primal food, eliminate the root cause, and the constipation disappears without need for supplements.

As an aside, now that I'm Primal I found that apples are a mild laxative.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                              +1. I don't think Konstantin is anti-fiber from regular food.
                              Nope, he is anti-fiber from all sources, actually saying that supplements may be better. He is really anti-vegetable/fruit. I'm glad mark let's guys like this post, but it would be funny to ask him, "What do you think of me eating a big-ass salad every day?" I know what his answer would be -- 'don't do it!'.

His advice on fiber is straight out of CW. He was against all the healthy whole-grain, Grape-nuts, Metamucil, Wheat-a-bix pushing from 30 years ago and has railed against fiber ever since. The trouble is, along with undoubtedly harmful and unneeded substances, the term fiber also contains many substances crucial to our health--pectins, gums, mucilages, and even resistant starches. These are all 'fiber' as defined by KM.

Comment

Working...
                              X