No announcement yet.

Today's Anti-Fiber Guest Blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually cannot eat too much fiber or I blow up like a balloon and get intense gas pains, so badly that I feel as if someone is killing me. I actually even had my large intestine removed because of my fiber consumption. There is definitely a happy medium.

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
      I actually cannot eat too much fiber or I blow up like a balloon and get intense gas pains, so badly that I feel as if someone is killing me. I actually even had my large intestine removed because of my fiber consumption. There is definitely a happy medium.
      You had your large intestine removed so you couldnt eat fiber???

Comment

Maybe Mark is on vacation and let someone else manage the store

I know we are all after optimum health through diet (and exercise) but sometimes in reading a lot (maybe most) threads people trying to over analyses or maybe trying to overly bioengineer their diets. It's a lot like trying to apply animal husbandry to ourselves.

I tend to step back and ask: Based upon evolutionary human biology that formed my ice-age hunter/gatherer ancestors' diet, physical activity, and body composition (Sisson's "Grok" is a good metaphor), how would I best mimic their diet and lifestyle to reach my fitness goals? I figure evolution had a longtime to workout the problem, and by following that basic prescription I'm probably going to be fairly close to those goals. I may not know exactly the macro ratios they were eating but I know what they weren't eating (or not eating throughout the year).

I don't know the Guest poster. He read like he was down on all fiber. I don't really care what he thinks although I think some of his arguments about supposed CW health benefits are probably overblown or non-existent. From a Primal/Paleo POV it doesn't make sense to go out and buy a box of All Brand to get my fiber. I'll just keep eating real food based mostly on my meats and vegetables. Now if I could quit drinking so much wine and snaking on cheese and/or nuts most week nights - but I enjoy them - It be easier for me maintain my desired body comp.
        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
          That shouldn't be happening if you're eating indigestible fiber. Metamucil will do that to some people, because it starts to ferment in the bowel. Citracel doesn't normally do that because the body can't break any of it down, so it's just roughage.

Sounds like you had diverticulosis. That's definitely a reason to keep fiber to a reasonable portion of the diet and a good reason why people shouldn't be pushing fiber additives without establishing that a person really needs it.

Obviously, if you have that much trouble with it, it's a moot point as to what the precise reason is, as long as you know what to do to keep yourself healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
            You had your large intestine removed so you couldnt eat fiber???
            I had my large intestine taken out because I ate too much fiber, it couldn't move through, so it was going to explode. Quite possibly the WORST experience of my life. I can still eat fiber with it no longer in my body, however I have to be VERY careful. This is why I am a huge fan of the paleo/primal lifestyle.

Comment

Lol. That blog post is comical. It says a lot of Marksdailyapple to endorse this kind of work.

"So ask yourself this question: even if you are a 100% healthy 25-year-old muscle-bound athlete, would you ever ingest that much sugar willingly? Well, maybe under the influence of a controlled substance or torture…"

Eating 500 calories of fruit a day is compared to "torturing yourself".

"a moderately active adult can utilize no more than about 200 grams of carbohydrates per day without encountering a scourge of the inevitable obesity, prediabetes, or diabetes."

"If 30 grams of fiber is what you’re really after, you’re better off getting it from supplements. These, after all, have almost no digestible carbs""

. . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘". . . . . . . . . .``~.,
              . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."-.,
              . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ":,
              . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .,
              . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
              . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
              . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:". . . ./
              . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
              . . . . . . . /__.(. . ."~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
              . . . . . . /(_. . "~,_. . . .."~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
              . . . .. .{.._$;_. . ."=,_. . . ."-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~"; /. .. .}
              . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . ."=-._. . .";,,./`. . /" . . . ./. .. ../
              . . . .. . .`~,. . .."~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
              . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-"
              . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . /
              . . . . . . `~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....,__
              ,,_. . . . . }.>-._. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
              . .. `=~-,__. . . `,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `. . . . . . ..__
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`
              Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 09-03-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Funny this comes up today - just yesterday I was compiling a bunch of resources showing that all the fiber fancying stuff we've been brought up on is madness:

---> Fiber - not good for you
                Last edited by AshSimmonds; 09-03-2013, 10:04 PM. Reason: formattery

Comment

Why are all the spam bots from London?

Anyways, I've never been convinced we need insoluble fibre (non-fermentable fibre?), as it does literally nothing.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                    Why are all the spam bots from London?

Anyways, I've never been convinced we need insoluble fibre (non-fermentable fibre?), as it does literally nothing.

M.
                    Obviously the climate.

As far as fiber goes, I thought the soluble stuff was what people wanted to have. It's the stuff that actually enters the blood stream and helps clean things out a bit. But, from what I understand, you don't really need that much, as long as your diet is generally OK. I'm guessing that if you're trying to cope for a bad diet with fiber that it's not going to end well.

Comment

Here's what people need to get out of this...the only fiber we really need to be concerned with is prebiotic fiber. This stuff can be soluble or insoluble, it comes in different forms (Resistant starch--nonsoluble, pectin--soluble). Soluble and insoluble only refers to what it does in water--of no concern to anyone except food manufacturers.

We need to be concerned with prebiotics. These 'fibers' are targeted by the bacteria we call probiotics, like found in yogurt and sauerkraut. They are fermented in the gut and the gut microbes produce mainly butyrate. There are very few 'fibers' which fit this bill: Galacto oligosaccharides found in milk, inulin, and resistant starches. Others that are very close to this description are gums, mucilages, pectins and some other oligosaccharides.

Comment

I hope some of you guys are posting on the actual blog. Mark sometimes responds to comments & I think those comments would get more visibility from here. It may help a lot of other readers to get a fuller picture of the whole fiber/health issue.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          I hope some of you guys are posting on the actual blog. Mark sometimes responds to comments & I think those comments would get more visibility from here. It may help a lot of other readers to get a fuller picture of the whole fiber/health issue.
                          I posted a couple comments, and they all got moderated out as did a whole lot of others--not sure what is going on. I have a feeling that Mark has revised his stance on fiber to allow for more prebiotics and didn't want us stealing his thunder, but that's just my guess. I think the whole post was just to get our ire.

I think fiber is the missing link in paleo/primal. When I say fiber, I don't mean the fiber that is listed on a nutrition label, I mean actual prebiotic, fermentable fiber that is targeting by the very probiotics we readily pay for in yogurt, kefir, and fermented veggies. Legumes have tons of the right stuff.

The term 'fiber' is outdated. It is basically meaningless. I feel sorry for people eating SAD who's doctor says "Eat more fiber!". Mine told me that, I slammed as much fiber as I could based on nutrition labels, disregarding every other ingredient just to get MOAR fiber. Luckily I found MDA before it was too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                            Lol. That blog post is comical. It says a lot of Marksdailyapple to endorse this kind of work.
                            My favorite line was:

Soluble fiber is widely present in fruits, vegetables, laxatives, and processed foods, such as yogurt, ice cream, sour cream, cream cheese, soy milk, non-dairy creamers, preserves, jellies, candies, cakes, snack bars, canned soups, frozen dinners, sauces, dressings, and endless others.
                            See anything inherently wrong here?

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                              I posted a couple comments, and they all got moderated out as did a whole lot of others--not sure what is going on. I have a feeling that Mark has revised his stance on fiber to allow for more prebiotics and didn't want us stealing his thunder, but that's just my guess. I think the whole post was just to get our ire.
                              Wow, that is upsetting. But it looks like some comments got through.

The term 'fiber' is outdated. It is basically meaningless. I feel sorry for people eating SAD who's doctor says "Eat more fiber!". Mine told me that, I slammed as much fiber as I could based on nutrition labels, disregarding every other ingredient just to get MOAR fiber. Luckily I found MDA before it was too late.
                              I think the idea in the article that MOAR FIBER is not the right focus is certainly right, but it's definitely padded with a bunch of sensationalism.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                                I think the idea in the article that MOAR FIBER is not the right focus is certainly right, but it's definitely padded with a bunch of sensationalism.
                                I wholeheartedly agree that MOAR fiber is waaaaay wrong. Especially if it involves reading labels. This will ensure a stomach full of non-prebiotic wheat chaff, sawdust, and other cheap fillers as described in the article.

What we need is a new word for prebiotic fiber. 'Prebiotics' maybe?

Comment

Working...
                                X