eating and standing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eating and standing

With all the new science suggesting the death of sitting, who out there eats while standing?

Thanks
    J

Standing improves cardiovascular health and blood sugar regulation, even independent of motion such as walking, hiking, jogging, etc. (not an excuse to skip out on some slow movement though): Stand Up For Your Health -- Physiologists And Microbiologists Find Link Between Sitting And Poor Health

Therefore, I theorize that eating while standing up could even directly improve your blood glucose and insulin action directly after the meal in a positive way, even as compared to those who stand a lot, but then sit down to eat.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I eat standing up a lot. Just right out of the pan to avoid more dirty dishes. And probably eat too fast. This can't be healthy. But the standing is good no? I like that I'm a zoom zoom all day type a gal.

Comment

I'll pass. Meal time is important for the rest & relax signal as much as the nutrition.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
          I'll pass. Meal time is important for the rest & relax signal as much as the nutrition.
          I guarantee if you're eating a large enough meal you'll still feel that "signal" regardless of what position you eat in.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
            I eat standing up a lot. Just right out of the pan to avoid more dirty dishes. And probably eat too fast. This can't be healthy. But the standing is good no? I like that I'm a zoom zoom all day type a gal.
            My friend eats like this and she refers to people who eat standing as "sinkies" as in eating over the sink.

I'm with picklepete, I'm all for sitting at a table (as opposed to sitting in a lazy boy in front of the TV) and relaxing while eating.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I have two small kids so sometimes, I squat because they enjoy having us parents at the same level as them. I don't mind sitting either, I am not sitting all day long anyway so I don't care.

Comment

If I ate while stading I'd need a mop instead of a shower...
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

yes,Meal time is important for the rest & relax signal as much as the nutrition. thanks

Comment

weekend lunch times i eat at the worktop standing, almost straight out of the pan. Usually busy and just quickly cook some bacon and eggs for lunch while working.

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                      Agree.

Relax , talk round table , enjoy food & take your time .

From London England UK

Comment

For many people who overeat, the process of sitting and defining a "meal" is very important. Meals are also socially important in a very primal way. There is an explorer who walked to... I think the North Pole... who talks about this a lot... How important meals and meal time are to a successful expedition.

Also, I did not click on that particular link, but the standing numbers are very questionable and even if you want to believe them at their most extreme presentation only suggest that changing normal sitting behavior (working, meals... Normal things where one sits) can expand your life by 2 years at most (none of the lifespan studies are about changing normal sitting behavior, they are about abnormal things like extreme TV hours). I love my treadmill desk to death, but for reasons other than that hype.
                        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

i worked in restaurants for many years, meaning long hours on my feet, in a stressful environment, and often no breaks. so if and when we could eat, it was most often standing up. it sucked.

no thanks.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I do both. I'll only sit down to eat when I'm with other people. Otherwise I just microwave/take food out and eat it standing.
                            http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                              i worked in restaurants for many years, meaning long hours on my feet, in a stressful environment, and often no breaks. so if and when we could eat, it was most often standing up. it sucked.

no thanks.
                              Yup, except my outcome is different. I am so used to not being able to eat sitting and not having time to feed, that most of my eating is done standing out of habit. I often get people telling me to sit down, as I don't even think about it anymore. I'll sit with people, but for some reason, probably the years of standing and trying to eat and not having time, I just struggle to sit down. The closest I come is sitting on the floor I prefer sitting on the floor to at a table, again probably from kitchens when the only place to sit is often on the back steps

Comment

Working...
                              X