• Comment

• Make America Great Again

Comment

• ... Dootoodoo toodoo

Comment

• The butt has sailed! Niiiice

Comment

• Nice pictures everyone

I want to ask something don't want to come across like I know something so keep in mind that I simply asking than trying to argue with all of you. Seems most of you doing quite high carbs and have some experience with white rice and potatoes

Do you think more then 150g carbs is necessary if one doing just PB fitness style workouts and no deadlifting and bench pressing? Would 1-2 potatoes or 100g rice on workout days (3-4 a week) is enough to fill you up or it is better to take 1 hughe refeed day a week and rest just eat low carbs? Sorry for dumb questions but I trying figure out this since the more carbs I eat the more I binge on it next day.

Also, what do you think about guys like Ido Portal? The guy trains 6 - 8 hours a day, says hes lower then 100g carbs most of the time and rarely use any starches at all. Is he some unique case or everyone can reach state like him and do so many work without needing that much carbs?

Comment

• hes lower then 100g carbs most of the time and rarely use any starches at all. Is he some unique case or everyone can reach state like him and do so many work without needing that much carbs?
              I'm sure most people could do it.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Okay my turn. First time using imgur.com

Fitness - Imgur
                "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Ow, my eyes! It's called sunshine, dude.
                  Nah man, stayin away from dem UV rays....lol. Yeah I need a tan.
                  My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

• Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                    ... Dootoodoo toodoo
                    Thats VERY nice

Comment

• Thank you, glad to know squats and deadlifts are working long way to go yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by Balance View Post
                        Okay my turn. First time using imgur.com

Fitness - Imgur
                        Nice, but wrong thread

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ad.php?t=93712
                        Motivational Vanity Pics
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Interesting thread. The best advice I can give is to take some time and read through the wonderful success stories posted every Friday on MDA or check out the Paleo Miracle book. You will find that the majority of these people gave up their previous high carb/bad fat lifestyle and now eat real unprocessed food. Those promoting a high carb diet seem to generally be young (under 40) and this may well have something to do with their ability to eat such a high carb diet and not gain weight, although they also for the most part eat real whole food and need to make sure they are in caloric balance. I think the most important things to avoid are wheat (read Wheat Belly for some insight - also check out the success stories on their FB page and website, just eliminating wheat has produced some amazing results), soy, transfats, HFC and any processed foods.

I train quite hard compared to many who post, generally lifting 4 to 6 days a week, sprints a couple of times a week, one long cardio day, yoga and meditation as well. Initially I was strict Paleo and moderated into a Primal approach after I lost the weight I wanted. Went from 215 lbs down to 165 lbs. Then added some muscle and currently sit at 175. This was done over a year with my initial weight loss happening quite quickly (4 months). I hadn't tracked my macros for a while so I did it for this thread just to see what I was currently eating - I average between 75 and 175 gms of carbs per day and basically just eat what I want within the Primal boundaries. I also do Intermittent Fasting not eating until noon 3 or 4 days a week.

My typical diet day looks like this:

First meal at noon - Saute onion, garlic, jalapenos, mushrooms, red peppers, kale in coconut oil and several pieces of bacon, then add 4 to 6 eggs and scramble, black coffee and an avocado.

Mid Afternoon - can of sardines and a piece of fruit

Dinner - Big mixed vegetable salad with a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard. I vary my vegetables between yams, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and broccoli and alternate pastured meat, free range poultry and wild fish. Often have a glass of red wine with dinner and some dark chocolate a few times per week.

Variations - Some mornings I will just have a can of wild red salmon mixed with veganaise (an organic soy free, dairy free mayo, you can get at Whole Foods) with some chopped onion and an avocado on the side. At other times I will make a blender drink of blue berries, raspberries, 2 large scoops of whey protein, 2 eggs, a table spoon of almond butter and a scoop of whole fat Greek yogurt with water. I do eat dairy several times a week - no milk but raw milk cheeses and Greek yogurt. Recently I've been brewing up green tea and sipping on it throughout the day. Once every couple of weeks I'll get some ice cream at a local parlor that makes great ice cream from a local organic pastured dairy with local fresh fruit.

I also believe you need to be mindful of where you get your food, get to know your local farmers and learn how they raise their animals and crops, start your own garden and learn to compost.

I've always tried to stay in decent shape over the years, but following the conventional wisdom of a high carb low fat diet using the food pyramid for many years resulted in a slow but steady weight gain and deteriorating blood lipids. Since I switched to Paleo and then Primal I have never felt better and can hold my own against most 20 and 30 year olds in the gym.

I have posted my pictures on various blogs over the last year so won't bother doing it again here (I recently posted some on page 4 here - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread93712.html) but I think I look good for someone in there 60s.
                          Last edited by canuck416; 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by Balance View Post
                            Okay my turn. First time using imgur.com

Fitness - Imgur
                            Looking great!
                            And to underline what Canuck said, do read through the success stories--there are lots of good examples out there. And keep in mind that over time things may change for you...it's probably not going to be one WOE for the rest of your life...

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                              Those promoting a high carb diet seem to generally be young (under 40) and this may well have something to do with their ability to eat such a high carb diet and not gain weight, although they also for the most part eat real whole food and need to make sure they are in caloric balance. .
                              for me personally, I don't promote a "high carb" lifestyle, just a lifestyle with adequate carbs. I did the low carb and vlc thing for over a year, and it was killing me. I was eating a ton of protein and fat, but only getting carbs from veggies and barely touching fruit or dairy. tubers were out of the question. but I am an active person, doing something every day, be it heavy lifting, mountain biking, jogging, hiking, hunting, skiing, kayaking, etc. I was absolutely bonked. even a once weekly reefed wasn't cutting it for me. when I gradually added more fruit, tubers, and white rice in to my diet, I was like a new person. i had tons of energy, i was making gains again, and i never felt like i was going to die during or after a workout. so for me, a low/lower carb lifestyle simply didn't work.

Comment

• I'm intrigued by how carbohydrate fraction in a nation tends to be inverse with other GDP/quality of life measures. The lowest-carb nations by percentage are in west and north Europe (~45% carb) though that doesn't necessarily mean low carb by mass since they produce more food.

Without sugar and flour I actually struggle to eat more than ~30% TDEE as tubers and fruits because they're so large. Not sure how to feel about this (is every nation on Earth wrong?) but it gets me results.
                                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                                X