Breakfast...yes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast...yes?

Many days I find I just not hungry enough to eat in the morning. I have a sedentary job and rather eat lunch first. Some mornings I am hungry and I eat, but I'm afraid I am just consuming calories because a clock is telling me to.

But, is breakfast still the most important meal of the day? Does that 1950's slogan still apply?
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

It comes down to personal preference. There's nothing magical about eating breakfast, and there's nothing magical about skipping it.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Ok, I thought maybe I was doing a disservice to my day by foregoing the first meal.
      Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBipper View Post
        Ok, I thought maybe I was doing a disservice to my day by foregoing the first meal.
        Prior to my current experimentation with Intermittent Fasting, I had the same belief. But, for me, I feel better when I go without breakfast.

Well, I guess technically that first meal is break fast, but that's rather pedantic.

Comment

You cannot avoid breakfast. Of COURSE it is the most important meal of the day. It is when you break your fast.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

recently I noticed that I tend to eat more on days where I have breakfast, like breaking the seal kind of mentality. When I wait and have an early lunch instead, I seem to eat less and don't have nagging feeling to snack and eat between meals. I am not sure if it is all a mental thing or there is some kind of science behind it, but there you have it. (It's probably mental... I have a lot of deprogramming to do :P)

Comment

It comes down to personal preference.
              Last edited by slatesekx; 08-29-2013, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwami View Post
                recently I noticed that I tend to eat more on days where I have breakfast, like breaking the seal kind of mentality. When I wait and have an early lunch instead, I seem to eat less and don't have nagging feeling to snack and eat between meals. I am not sure if it is all a mental thing or there is some kind of science behind it, but there you have it. (It's probably mental... I have a lot of deprogramming to do :P)
                I seem to remember that I read something about it, eitehr at gnolls.org or caloriesproper.com or some other geekish site. What I remember is that eating breakfast first thing in the morning has on average the effect you describe. I don't think every one will experience the same, but that is what the study referenced on the blog was concluding.

As a French, I am not good at breakfast, actually the whole country has little breakfast culture. It's only a recent thing that kids have cereals, or even ham and cheese slices to imitate our German neighbors. The day kids eat beans and fried eggs, I will know France has been re-conquered 100% by the Brits

When I was a kid, my brakfast was : a bowl of tea or café-au-lait, and some piece of bread with butter or a croissant. That was not much at all, and we had a real lunch, with a 2 hour break ... As a grown-up, I had black coffee and a croissant or 2 until I went wheat free and just kept the coffee. I feel no hunger until 2 or 3pm, in which case I will eat either some beef jerky, slice of cheese, a couple of green bananas for the resistant starch basically, some pumpkin seeds (I love that stuff!) and sea salt. That keeps me going until dinner where I have a real big meal. I think it is very similar to something called the Warrior Diet.

Comment

I eat a small breakfast when I'm hungry. If it's not real hunger, a cup of coffee takes care of the hunger pangs. If I still feel hungry, I just eat something small to tide me over till lunch. It's different every day.. I just go with it.

Comment

I'm trying Intermittent Fasting at the moment (on my 6th day) so I'm not eating in the morning and my first meal is at the lunchtime around 1.30 pm.
                    But normally on my weekday I would have a very light breakfast anyway - some yoghurt with berries and cup of green tea or coffee. Before primal I used to stuff myself silly on fruit for breakfast :-)

Comment

I make breakfast every day and take it with me at work. There, I will eat it any time I fell hungry' this can be as early as 8:00 and as late as 12:30. In really rare occasions, I will eat it as soon as I make it (around 6:30). I for and it easier to have no hard rule since quality is more important for me over schedule, habit or convenience.

So, technically sometimes I skip breakfast and have (breakfast for)lunch.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Comment

It is very different for different people. If I IF, I end up overeating at night, and can't stop. If I start with a significant breakfast, and a good sized lunch, I don't eat much at night, and tend to lose weight.

BUT a HUGE amount of people can IF without binging at lunch and eating endlessly at dinner.

I also find that when I eat bigger meals, I start getting hungrier and hungrier and more obsessed with food and expectation of a meal. Grazing seems to work better for me. I am not at all annoyed by eating 5+ times a day like some people are. They feel liberated if they get to eat only once or twice a day and they easily get enough food in to hold them over for many hours.
                        Last edited by Leida; 08-29-2013, 05:58 AM.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I don’t eat breakfast and I don’t snack so lunch is my first meal of the day. One of the reasons I don’t eat breakfast is because I am not the least bit hungry in the morning. So why eat? On the rare occasion that I am hungry in the morning, then I will eat a light breakfast, such as 3 eggs. Also, all meals are “important”, regardless of timing. Do what works for you.
                          “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

I haven't had AM calories for years. Last time I was invited to breakfast dining I could only down a side salad and iced tea.
                            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              It is very different for different people. If I IF, I end up overeating at night, and can't stop. If I start with a significant breakfast, and a good sized lunch, I don't eat much at night, and tend to lose weight.

BUT a HUGE amount of people can IF without binging at lunch and eating endlessly at dinner.

I also find that when I eat bigger meals, I start getting hungrier and hungrier and more obsessed with food and expectation of a meal. Grazing seems to work better for me. I am not at all annoyed by eating 5+ times a day like some people are. They feel liberated if they get to eat only once or twice a day and they easily get enough food in to hold them over for many hours.
                              Sounds like there's something going on there. When you break the fast, you should be hungry, but not so hungry that you devour everything in sight. The advice handed to me, and it seems to work, is that some supplementation can be useful. Coconut oil or fish oil at the beginning and end of the fast. And if you get really hungry midway, then there's always metamucil or citracel to give you a bit of fullness.

It's worth noting, that with these recommendations, the intention is that you're still eating a proper amount of calories on a daily basis. And that you're not doing long fasts more than once or twice a week.

I've been at it for nearly 2 weeks, and I'm going to be taking tomorrow off from it, and just eat sensible 3 squares.

Just realize that there are health benefits that come from short fasts on a regular basis. Things like increased increased growth hormones in the brain. And, oddly enough, increased metabolism.

Comment

Working...
                              X