Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breakfast...yes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I took (and keep taking) glucomannan and I tried coconut oil in the Shangri-La protocol, drunk broth - and no matter what I did, in the end, after a few days of even mild, 14-16 hrs fasting window days, I binged and started to gain weight. It is not a character flaw, it is just that I do well on smaller, more frequent meals nowadays, both physically and psychologically. It actually allows me not to eat when I am not hungry. When i fast, I start exhibiting abnormal behaviors described in literature for the individuals who are derived of food. I hoard, plan meals, cook and shop for food obsessively, dream of food, crumble food in the tiniest bits, and can never have enough once I start eating. When I don't fast, I become a normal person who thinks cooking is a chore, and food is food, and have no problems stopping eating... because you know, i can always eat again if I am hungry, even if it is 8:48 am.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

    Comment


    • #17
      I can't stomach breakfast, and for a while I tried, because I didn't think I could go to school and stand + walk around a kitchen for 5-6 hours without a good breakfast in me. I then remembered that when I was younger, from around age 10-18 (I'm 22 now) I actually never ate breakfast, and sometimes I'd even skip lunch without a problem if I hadn't brought food or money to school. Before I ever heard of primal. So I decided to try it skipping it again. I quickly realized that bringing a big lunch was too much as well - I simply function better on little food in the first half of the day, and a bigger meal (not even that big - I struggle to get enough calories in a day, so I enjoy chocolate and fruit in the evening sometimes) in the evening. When I'm in the school, and food is cooking on the stoves, it's random when I have breaks, so sometimes I'll eat my tiny lunch (2 eggs, a carrot and a banana) at 9:30 and sometimes at 13:30. It's all about personal preference, as others have stated, as long as you don't feel deprived of energy! I'm more energetic when my body isn't busy digesting food (but that could be due to my body not handling alot of food too well - I started primal because of IBS and gut issues. Off topic tho hehe).

      So, basically, just listen to your body

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        I took (and keep taking) glucomannan and I tried coconut oil in the Shangri-La protocol, drunk broth - and no matter what I did, in the end, after a few days of even mild, 14-16 hrs fasting window days, I binged and started to gain weight. It is not a character flaw, it is just that I do well on smaller, more frequent meals nowadays, both physically and psychologically. It actually allows me not to eat when I am not hungry. When i fast, I start exhibiting abnormal behaviors described in literature for the individuals who are derived of food. I hoard, plan meals, cook and shop for food obsessively, dream of food, crumble food in the tiniest bits, and can never have enough once I start eating. When I don't fast, I become a normal person who thinks cooking is a chore, and food is food, and have no problems stopping eating... because you know, i can always eat again if I am hungry, even if it is 8:48 am.
        I never said it was a character flaw, but it does sound like there's something going on there, as you shouldn't be getting that hungry that soon. The reason why I'm bringing it up is that 14-16 hours of fasting is a really short period of time in which to be having these sorts of problems. Blood glucose shouldn't even be dropping to a meaningful degree until 18 or so hours out.

        Around here people commonly eat at 6 or so in the evening and not again until 7 or latter. Which means a normal 12-13 hour period of time without eating. And on the weekends when folks tend to sleep in, that period is somewhat longer.

        Not that it's really any of my business, just food for thought. It just sounds like there's something abnormal going on here.

        Comment


        • #19
          If I eat a big dinner and go to sleep reasonably early, I am not hungry in the morning. If I don't, I am.

          Comment


          • #20
            Not that it's really any of my business, just food for thought. It just sounds like there's something abnormal going on here.
            It's not abnormal. Just different folks have different metabolic and cycadian patterns. It is great to experiment, but in the end, going with what makes you thrive rather than suffer is a good idea. A person who can't look at food early in the morning, should not stuff herself; a person who feels that the clock will never strike noon, is probably better off with eating first thing and not worrying about time.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

            Comment


            • #21
              If you're not hungry for breakfast, then don't eat breakfast. It's also a good sign, it means that you're not a slave to wheat addiction.

              A dirty secret that they don't tell is that there is TOO MUCH FOOD in America. Food companies, hungry for profits, need to seel more food each year. The problem is that they population isn't growing as fast as they want profits to grow. So instead of selling the food to more people, they have to sell more food per person. In the past year or so there has been a huge push toward fast-food vendors selling breakfast (Taco Bell???!?), all of it pushing how important breakfast is.

              They are just feed food addiction and making us fat.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BigBipper View Post
                But, is breakfast still the most important meal of the day?
                Far as I'm concerned, breakfast is just the first meal you eat. I'd say eating is pretty important. When you eat, however, would be up to you, and completely up to how you react to it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  No breakfast for me. If anything, breakfast makes me sick. I believe in IF and that's what I live by - dinner the evening before and then no meals until noon or so the following day. I am never really hungry until around 11 or 12 the following day anyways. Do what you feel is best for you, there is no one-size-fits-all plan!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Breakfast when hungry is the best way to go, people have different metabolisms / rhythms. I find it really good to skip breakfast when not hungry as it gives me more energy. For weight loss results, having a protein breakfast brings great results. Also works well for mood stabilising and hypoglycemia, and probably various other things as well.
                    Healthy is the new wealthy.

                    http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by oxide View Post
                      If you're not hungry for breakfast, then don't eat breakfast. It's also a good sign, it means that you're not a slave to wheat addiction.

                      A dirty secret that they don't tell is that there is TOO MUCH FOOD in America. Food companies, hungry for profits, need to seel more food each year. The problem is that they population isn't growing as fast as they want profits to grow. So instead of selling the food to more people, they have to sell more food per person. In the past year or so there has been a huge push toward fast-food vendors selling breakfast (Taco Bell???!?), all of it pushing how important breakfast is.

                      They are just feed food addiction and making us fat.
                      Excellent points oxide. All the fast food places have breakfast now. Even Subway.
                      “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Okay, I'll be the one dissenting voice from the wilderness - I love and live for my first-thing-in-the-morning breakfast. Always have. I like a big breakfast too, always have. I like the same things for breakfast too. Always have. I guess breakfast's always been one 'sure thing' in my day.

                        This thread has got me thinking, though, am I the product of life-long habit? Perhaps, but I wake up hungry; my hunger often wakes me up. I'm still a primal newbie, but have noticed my need for breakfast has gotten less urgent - I used to be a real bear first thing before I ate, now not so much. I'll even cook for someone else before myself.

                        It might be interesting to see if I can go longer into the day without eating. Maybe try bulletproof tea instead. Since adopting primal foods my whole eating pattern is starting to shift, and I'm still learning when I'm hungry, and for what. Snacks? Lunch? Each day can be different as I'm trying to tune into my body more, and the clock and habit less.

                        Could I mess with breakfast? Ask me after I finish my eggs and bacon.

                        Lark
                        "Unfortunately, humans rely less on instincts and more on culture to determine what they eat" - Marcia Pelchat

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If you get used to eat "breakfast" at 12.30 then you will normally get hungry at that time, and not before, due to the hunger hormone grehlin! It usually take a couple of weeks to ease into a new breakfast habit, and there may be several good reasons for skipping an early breakfast. Personally I eat my breakfast around 2 PM these days, but I am drinking black coffee, tea and Coke Zero before that...
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                          - Schopenhauer

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I can easily go to at least 11am after stopping eating the night before before 7, but I love having breakfast and seem to need the calories right now. I guess if my breakfast wasn't usually bacon I wouldn't be so excited. I think you just have to see what works for your particular body. I couldn't IF more than that, I have to have my full lunch and dinner no matter what, I get weak, hungry and brain fog if I am late with dinner, no matter how low carb I am.
                            Last edited by Silvergirl; 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM.
                            Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                            Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                            Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I recommend to avoid a tempting breakfast if your goals are weightloss or weight maintenance! Thats what I am doing anyway by having fresh rather tasteless cheese and raw vegetables for breakfast at 2 PM. At 6 PM I eat a HUGE meal of everything though, and a more moderate meal 9 PM...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                              - Schopenhauer

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                                I can easily go to at least 11am after stopping eating the night before before 7, but I love having breakfast and seem to need the calories right now. I guess if my breakfast wasn't usually bacon I wouldn't be so excited. I think you just have to see what works for your particular body. I couldn't IF more than that, I have to have my full lunch and dinner no matter what, I get weak, hungry and brain fog if I am late with dinner, no matter how low carb I am.
                                I eat my "breakfast" at noon most days. Which lately consists of a couple eggs and two strips of bacon. I'll start to get really hungry about 11 or so, and I'll take a snake of coconut oil to help ease the transition back into the feeding period.

                                Seems to work fairly well. Since I started the snack routine, I have a much easier time making wise decisions on food the entire day.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X