How much fruit is too much fruit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shield_Maiden View Post
    I disagree with your fruit and raw vegan statements, having been one for years.

I was a frutitarian even did strict 80-10-10 for a year. Ended up mentally ill and with eating disorders. Kept trying to stay on it and was always failing. Took me a long while to realize on my own that I needed a higher fat diet because I noticed that with fat I wasn't as sick and wasn't horrifyingly depressed. I began doing more standard raw vegan fare and didn't worry about calories or fat content so much. But still stuck to fruit focused. I would get dizzy, could not stand up quickly, would have to hold myself up when going up stairs because of the vertigo, and actually learned how to walk and move around with blurred vision and wooziness.

Since paleo/primal this has all stopped and I'm losing body fat. Low carb, high fat, high protein.

I certainly wasn't *skinny* but definitely was sickly. Skinny doesn't mean healthy.
    Yo, i think you just didnt carb the fuck up!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Yo, i think you just didnt carb the fuck up!
      You may wish to stop channeling GIR when you post.

Comment

When you eat so much fruit that you barely make it to the toilet the next morning, then you likely have eaten too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Shield_Maiden View Post
          You may wish to stop channeling GIR when you post.
          Lol! Actually i was doing my best Durian Rider impression.

Comment

Originally posted by JenPoston View Post
            I have 50lbs of fat to lose, so fat/weight loss is my #1 goal. I'm reading and reading and reading as much as possible as quickly as possible.

You know, they always tell you "count your calories! do your cardio!" I've never known to count macro-nutrients before. I'm slowly figuring it out. Looks like my very fruit heavy lunch wasn't so awful after all.

I'm getting there.. slowly but surely.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Comment

Alright. Well. That taught me a lesson. Don't ever friggin mention fruit/sugar on this forum again. :/ Apparently everybody is an expert and they all get their info from different sources. Ha!

Didn't mean to spark a debate here. The MDA pyramid says to eat fruit in moderation and I was curious about that. Eating ZERO pieces of fruit is not practical for me, I'd never be able to maintain a Primal lifestyle. I'd totally give up. Congrats to you if that works for you. I think I'll stick to what I've got going on right now, maintaining 50ish carbs a day with a couple lower sugar fruits thrown in each day to keep me sane and happy.
              Where is everyone getting this idea that Primal is 50g carb/day or less? Even according to the "bogus" Carb Curve, Primal is up to about 100g. If you stay away from grains, sugar, potatoes, and rice, you actually have to work to get to 100g. If you're at 50g carbs, IMO you could add one piece of fruit without much harm. Suggestions: 1 peach OR 1 apple OR 2/3 cup frozen berries. That will bring you to 75 g carb/day.

[There are sub-diets in the primal/paleo community which call for 50 g carb/day, but those are very specific and probably temporary.]
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                Where is everyone getting this idea that Primal is 50g carb/day or less? Even according to the "bogus" Carb Curve, Primal is up to about 100g. If you stay away from grains, sugar, potatoes, and rice, you actually have to work to get to 100g. If you're at 50g carbs, IMO you could add one piece of fruit without much harm. Suggestions: 1 peach OR 1 apple OR 2/3 cup frozen berries. That will bring you to 75 g carb/day.

[There are sub-diets in the primal/paleo community which call for 50 g carb/day, but those are very specific and probably temporary.]
                +1

I am surprised at how many people are not following what Mark writes in his book. With the "bogus" carb curve, he even stated in his book that the curve was proven scientifically. Potatoes, rice, corn, almond milk, etc etc are not part of Mark's plan highlighted in MDA/PB. Please everyone just go read his book and you'll be on the right track. I had to after reading some of the things in this forum that started making me doubt myself when, in fact, I had been following Mark's plan to a T.

Comment

The 50g of carbs per day came from MDA plus the leptin reset plan. For obese folks like myself Mark recommends <80g carbs per day and Dr Kruse recommends around 50g, so that is my goal. I didn't just make that number up.

Comment

The 50g of carbs per day came from MDA plus the leptin reset plan. For obese folks like myself Mark recommends <80g carbs per day and Dr Kruse recommends around 50g, so that is my goal. I didn't just make that number up.
                    Thanks Jen! Looks like you're really on top of things. If your fruit is within your 80 g budget, then there's nothing really wrong with that. The Kruse Leptin Reset is one of the sub-diets I was talking about. I did a two-month LR protocol and it really helped; I plan do another one next month.
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      Lol! Actually i was doing my best Durian Rider impression.
                      Ahhh! Lol! Okay I got it now ^___^

Comment

If you are reaching your goals and feeling good doing it, stick to it!

On the other hand, if you feel bloating, any discomfort, an urge to binge on fruits/sugar, or are noticing weight gain, maybe back off a bit. There is no hard and fast rule with fruits and carbs, etc. but if you learn to listen to your body you'll find a recipe that works for you, be it low, moderate, or high in fruit and other carbs.
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                        X