Did you plateau on weight loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you plateau on weight loss?

I'm not really sure if I'm plateau'ed or not... but I almost kinda feel like I am.

If you did plateau... what did you do to end your plateau?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

I had to do different things for each. And I had several. Basically got more and more strict. First cut out the slice of bread I had each day. Then I cut out most fruits, used to have a banana or apple. For the last 10 pounds, I had to do 36 hour IFs to get any lower.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

I stalled for about 3 weeks, I just kept at it and didn't let it stress me and it resolved itself. I am currently doing a month long challenge trying to stay 100% hoping to be at 200lb by the first weekend in June. I have a vacation planed during June and i don't want to be derailed.
      Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

I have been bouncing around 186-187 (down from 220) for the last three weeks and I'd like to probably shed 5-10lbs of blubber, but no big deal....if I look like I do today when I am 60 I'll be super happy I could probably be more active and ditch the wine to help, but I am not prepared to do anything to achieve a certain body that I can't or won't sustain indefinitely - temporary abs don't impress me much.
        My photography:
        http://www.swiftimages.net

Comment

I've been stalled for a little over three months. Stress is up and sleep is down due to school--can't do much about that--but nutrition has been stricter and strength training is up: still no change. Just went off cow dairy (except butter). Hoping for the best.
          Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

plateau #1 - reduced carbs to less than 25g/day
            plateau #2 - did away with my Friday cheat meal, still no carbs
            plateau #3 - cut cals by 30% (was eating 4000+ and still losing weight), still no carbs
            plateau #4 - started doing some "cardio" (tennis, sled dragging, etc.), I hadn't done any previously, still no carbs
            plateau #5 (last week) - elimination of cheese from my diet, still no carbs
            I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

My weight has been *exactly* 176.6 for the past five days in a row. I mean it doesn't even vary by one-tenth of a lb! I think my scale must be broken. :/

Comment

Dr Atkins: It isn't a stall unless your weight hasn't got any lower for at least a month. I would wait at least two months before worrying about how to break the stall. A lot has been written about how you might be losing tons of fat without losing any weight or even any inches (short explanation: your fat cells substitute water for fat to avoid sudden volume changes).
                Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Originally posted by Jokaman70 View Post
                  plateau #3 - cut cals by 30% (was eating 4000+ and still losing weight), still no carbs
                  plateau #4 - started doing some "cardio" (tennis, sled dragging, etc.), I hadn't done any previously, still no carbs
                  How has this worked for you?
                  .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                  ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                    Dr Atkins: It isn't a stall unless your weight hasn't got any lower for at least a month. I would wait at least two months before worrying about how to break the stall. A lot has been written about how you might be losing tons of fat without losing any weight or even any inches (short explanation: your fat cells substitute water for fat to avoid sudden volume changes).
                    Excellent point. This is how I knew I was in a stall and needed to do something: I've gone at least three months without weightloss. This week I started a month without cow dairy and am already down over a pound (fat or water? who knows, but I'm down for the first time since January).
                    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

i am more or less where i want to be with my weight. i'm 5'1 127.8 lbs as of this morning. i've always had more of an athletic build so 110 or 115 would be much too thin for me. i don't mind losing a couple extra pounds here and there, but my partner has weight to lose and to help her i have to make the same changes b/c i pretty much control the food and meals in our home. we cut back on our fruit consumption (mango, pineapple, cantaloupe). i am making it a point to only eat when i am hungry. i was having a problem with "oh it's 9:00am time for my trail mix". i realized i wasn't really hungry it was just engrained in me to eat at that time. i'm encouraging her to skip meals (lunch) at work. i've done this just recently when i didn't have leftovers to pack us for lunch. i've noticed being a little bit hungry at first, but it usually passes and i forget that i haven't eaten a meal. just doing these two things got me down a pound or so.
                      my partner has stalled somewhat...i was wondering if anyone has noticed losing inches but not seeing a difference on the scale? i suspect that's what's going on with her. i can notice a difference but she isn't showing the change on the scale. i'm trying to keep her frustration level down...
                      i will maintain the truth
                      i knew naturally as a child
                      i won't forfeit my creativity
                      to a world that's all laid out for me
                      i'll look at everything around me
                      and i will vow to bear in mind
                      that all of this was just someone's idea
                      it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Comment

It's always very interesting to me to see what works best for each individual. There are certainly similarities, but we're sure not all the same.

I had a plateau for at least 3 months, and finally broke it by adding more fat, which, for me, was only possible by adding much more dairy. I use heavy cream in my coffee, add more butter than usual to vegetables, and eat at least an ounce of cheese per day. Of course, I eat all the fat on my grass fed beef, the skin on the chicken thighs, and eat coconut cream. With a ratio of 80% fat/5% carbs/15% protein, I broke the plateau, generally eating around 1,700 calories per day. I'm a 54 yo female, so YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokaman70 View Post
                          Great advice! I would also just get off the scale all together. Since changing up my diet I have lost over 15lbs...however once I started training differently I noticed that my weight would fluctuate and even with an increase in a few pounds, I was still loosing inches off my waist. I have learned that the scale never tells the whole story.

I also had to understand that sustainable weightloss is never a quick thing. It takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by XulChris View Post
                            My weight has been *exactly* 176.6 for the past five days in a row. I mean it doesn't even vary by one-tenth of a lb! I think my scale must be broken. :/
                            Wow. I can't imagine that. My weight fluctuates like crazy. I had this 8 day span a while back, each day with very similar food and liquid intake:

Obviously if I was really taking the numbers to heart each day I would be freaking out. I just enter the figure and look at long term trends.

Comment

if i get on my scale everyday, which i make it a poitn NOT to, i see similar like 2-4lb fluctuations
                              Get on my Level
                              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X