Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry in advance...Poop questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I had an issue after having my gallbladder removed. Toilet after every meal. I searched high and low, tried digestive aids, yada yada. Finally ran across a post for the same issue. She found taking a calcium pill, can only be the kind made from oyster shell, before eating helped bind the fat in the meal, something like that, and digestion was normal no more bathroom. So I tried different doses, depending on the fat content in the meal, a lot, a full pill, not so high, a half. Works great for me, might help you too.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
      And now I'm going to start taking Otzi's recommended tapioca or potato flour with kefir
      Please ensure you use unmodified potato starch. It's the common kind. There are some pregelled versions and also potato flour--not the same thing as potato starch! Tapioca starch is also called tapioca flour--it's same thing. 1-2TBS/day, most days, seems to do the trick. More is not better, especially above 4TBS.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by otzi View Post
        Please ensure you use unmodified potato starch. It's the common kind. There are some pregelled versions and also potato flour--not the same thing as potato starch! Tapioca starch is also called tapioca flour--it's same thing. 1-2TBS/day, most days, seems to do the trick. More is not better, especially above 4TBS.
        Thanks for that. I have tapioca flour in my cupboard which I will use until I am able to buy potato flour. I will make sure it is unmodified! I note that in the list of suitable starches in Free the Animal, that tapioca starch is bottom of the list. So I will try to get potato or plantain flour during the coming week.

        Comment


        • #64
          I would like to thank Otzi for the resistant starch suggestion. It seems to be working for me. I have been taking 1 tbsp of potato or tapioca starch in my morning orange juice. Neither the potato or the tapioca affect the taste of the juice, but I have a slight preference for the potato starch because it is not quite as chalky. The very slight amount of chalkiness is not enough to ruin the orange juice for me, so I will definitely be keeping this as part of my morning routine. For what it's worth, I also highly recommend the Squatty Potty!

          Comment


          • #65
            BananaLeaf...Great to hear it is working for you. How long before you started seeing difference?

            I have been doing for one week now and have noticed NO difference at all. Discouraging. Will try one more week then will go for the chia seed recommendation.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by rkm View Post
              BananaLeaf...Great to hear it is working for you. How long before you started seeing difference?

              I have been doing for one week now and have noticed NO difference at all. Discouraging. Will try one more week then will go for the chia seed recommendation.
              I've been taking it for 5 days now and I have had a morning BM 3 days in a row, so I guess it took 2 days to kick in. Normally every few days I get really blocked up to the point where my entire abdominal area feels full and tender. I have avoided that so far since taking the starch. I sure hope it keeps up.

              Comment


              • #67
                Eating more and chewing really well seems to improve my BM's a little.
                Will get tapioca today, see what happens.
                Black magic specialist in bangladesh

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by biko View Post
                  Eating more and chewing really well seems to improve my BM's a little.
                  Will get tapioca today, see what happens.
                  Make sure it's tapioca starch or flour--not pearls. Pearls are precooked and gel instantly in water, starch/flour will retain it's graininess in cold water--that's what you are after.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by otzi View Post
                    Please ensure you use unmodified potato starch. It's the common kind. There are some pregelled versions and also potato flour--not the same thing as potato starch! Tapioca starch is also called tapioca flour--it's same thing. 1-2TBS/day, most days, seems to do the trick. More is not better, especially above 4TBS.
                    I have found potato flour and am trying that - I cant find potato starch? I'm in the UK - perhaps potato flour here IS starch? Anyway, I'm using a mix of ground chia seeds, potato flour and tapioca flour. It seems to be working well.....

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by otzi View Post
                      Make sure it's tapioca starch or flour--not pearls. Pearls are precooked and gel instantly in water, starch/flour will retain it's graininess in cold water--that's what you are after.
                      Thanks, just in time, store didn't carry any tapioca, off to other store, no pearls.
                      Black magic specialist in bangladesh

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                        I have found potato flour and am trying that - I cant find potato starch? I'm in the UK - perhaps potato flour here IS starch? Anyway, I'm using a mix of ground chia seeds, potato flour and tapioca flour. It seems to be working well.....
                        If you mix the potato flour with water and it turns to a gummy mess--it's not what you want, it's just cooked potatoes, dehydrated and ground up. If you mix it with water and it all settles to the bottom unchanged, it is raw potato starch--that's what you want.

                        Can you give me a brand name and link to the product? Everything I've seen called potato flour is just ground up, cooked potatoes--no resistant starch there.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          If you mix the potato flour with water and it turns to a gummy mess--it's not what you want, it's just cooked potatoes, dehydrated and ground up. If you mix it with water and it all settles to the bottom unchanged, it is raw potato starch--that's what you want.

                          Can you give me a brand name and link to the product? Everything I've seen called potato flour is just ground up, cooked potatoes--no resistant starch there.
                          It is Infinity Foods potato flour, made by Baldwin and Sons. Mixed with chia seeds, and tapioca flour and water, it does go gummy - I assumed that it was the Chia seeds doing that, as they manage to do it on their own! Perhaps I had better keep that as a thickener and stick to the tapioca flour unit I find potato starch!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            I have just found this link

                            Potato starch and potato flour: what

                            which states that Infinity Foods Potato flour is made from raw potatoes and is starch... though further confirmation of this fact would be useful.. I shall email them!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                              I have just found this link

                              Potato starch and potato flour: what

                              which states that Infinity Foods Potato flour is made from raw potatoes and is starch... though further confirmation of this fact would be useful.. I shall email them!
                              It looks like what they sell is starch. You can do an easy test--put 1TBS in 1 cup of water, mix well and put in the microwave for a few minutes. If it's flour, it will come out like a dumpling. if it's starch, it will turn into a clear jelly that looks just like hair gel.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                I think that Ener-G Egg Replacer is pure potato starch, used as a thickener in place of egg whites.

                                Also, how many macadamia nuts does the OP eat? I found that fatty nuts and seeds can have a similar laxative effect on me: well-formed at the start and a bit loose at the end. But I need either a lot of nuts at once or nuts every day to get the laxative effect consistently.
                                5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X