Magic Pills, Food Villains and the Avoidance of Personal Responsibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    Then why, if I reduce fat and increase carbs, do I get HUNGRY like HUNGRY beyond HUNGRY and need to EAT 10x a day until I get fat?
    Likely for a couple reasons.

You're likely mixing fat with carbohydrate. When you combine fat+starch+sugar, it signals your brain to overeat. You turn a simple potato, which is very low calorie and very filling per calorie, into a monstrosity by slathering it in butter, cheese, sour cream and/or bacon. That'll send your hunger through the roof and your brain will signal the body to overconsume to prepare for "a famine." Except the famine never comes in today's America.

You're forgetting carbohydrate is less than half as calorie dense as fat. It may take a lot more "volume" of carbohydrate to get the same sated effect as fat.

I don't advocate exclusionary dieting. Health problems can and often arise from extended periods of too low carbohydrate or too low fat. However, what's a great idea is separating your fats and carbs. I always prioritize protein since it is non-fattening and the most filling macronutrient. After that, I center my protein around fats OR carbs, but not both. This way, you can live a lifestyle that is balanced in macronutrients and prevent overeating by making your meals either low fat or low carb on an individual basis.

I doubt you're overeating boiled potatoes and steamed chicken breast. I bet you'll eat more fried sausage and sweet potatoes, though. That's a food reward nightmare.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Actually, it's too little food causing those symptoms I'm sure. People with weak hunger who eat two pieces of bacon and think it's too much probably have no chance of succeeding at low-carb. I ate three pounds of ground beef at one dinner, and was - satisfied, to the point of not wanting to eat anything else for a good long time. I eat a crap ton of food and my hair has never fallen out, my boner has not gone away, etc. I don't know if simply getting enough calories is the missing piece of the puzzle for some of the starvies I meet here or not.

But, you'd think after over three years, some of this low-carb nonsense would have made me cold or impotent or worse. So why hasn't it, if you're so right? There is no proof in your pudding...or something.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

It depends. There are some individual variances based on age, size, genetics, etc. Are you an older man with a large build? If so, you're likely much more resistant to the effects of exclusionary dieting than a young person, a middle-aged female or an athlete. The more sedentary and larger you are, the more you'll probably be able to get away with. When you start putting any kind of physical demand on your body, this is when it kind of tends to fall apart. You also may be genetically gifted as well. Maybe you descended from cold-weather cultures that are used to scare food, higher levels of stress hormones, etc and you're better adapted to it. There are plenty of explanations, but most people aren't going to be able to consume 3 lbs of ground beef in a sitting to keep their RMR up high enough. Carbohydrate drives the metabolic rate better than fat does, so for people who aren't able to eat massive amounts of food volume in a single sitting, low carb would likely be more detrimental to their health.

You may also make more ketone bodies than others. Maybe that helps. It seems to me the people on the 50-100g of carbohydrate range seems to have the most trouble - low carb but not low enough to make enough ketones.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
          Quite frankly, the answer is one no one likes to hear: there is no magic formula. Every body has different needs. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. What works for you won't necessarily work for me. I advise patience and tolerance, but few want that advice, instead loudly insisting only they can be right.
          this is the sentiment that isn't getting through

choco legit deserves an award for rendering me speechless by saying people were lying
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

Quite frankly, the answer is one no one likes to hear: there is no magic formula. Every body has different needs. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. What works for you won't necessarily work for me. I advise patience and tolerance, but few want that advice, instead loudly insisting only they can be right.
            Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
            Good post.
            +1
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              Actually, compared to most people I eat a fairly low carbohydrate diet. What I am against is unhealthy dieting, and it just so happens that the people that struggle on this site tend to be low-carbers. Context is important Kathy. There aren't many low fatters here suffering from hair loss, weight gain, severe energy problems, digestion issues, cold body temperatures and nonexistent sex drive. Lots of low carbers, though, so we do the best we can to expose the root cause. Often, the root cause is too much fat and not enough carbohydrate.
              My name is not Kathy.

Comment

You're likely mixing fat with carbohydrate. When you combine fat+starch+sugar, it signals your brain to overeat. You turn a simple potato, which is very low calorie and very filling per calorie, into a monstrosity by slathering it in butter, cheese, sour cream and/or bacon. That'll send your hunger through the roof and your brain will signal the body to overconsume to prepare for "a famine." Except the famine never comes in today's America.

You're forgetting carbohydrate is less than half as calorie dense as fat. It may take a lot more "volume" of carbohydrate to get the same sated effect as fat.

I don't advocate exclusionary dieting. Health problems can and often arise from extended periods of too low carbohydrate or too low fat. However, what's a great idea is separating your fats and carbs. I always prioritize protein since it is non-fattening and the most filling macronutrient. After that, I center my protein around fats OR carbs, but not both. This way, you can live a lifestyle that is balanced in macronutrients and prevent overeating by making your meals either low fat or low carb on an individual basis.

I doubt you're overeating boiled potatoes and steamed chicken breast. I bet you'll eat more fried sausage and sweet potatoes, though. That's a food reward nightmare.
                Saw this after I posted. Will respond at work...could be over an hour, but meh - that's the fun of a forum, right?
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Likely for a couple reasons.

This really resonates with my personal experience 💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡

Comment

Knifegill, the high carb diet you ate isn't the same as mine. Don't try to blame your poor metabolic function on carbs, and lump my diet in with your ramen and soda high unsaturated fat and high carb diet.
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

I actually really like the snark in this thread. It might keep the bickering mildly bearable.

This sums up how I feel nicely. Maybe in a few months these forums will get a bit more peaceful when everyone realizes it too, but goodness the animosity is at an all-time high lately!

Comment

Genetics have very little to do with it and are just a scapegoat. 67% of families are overweight, and overweight parents brainwash habits that create overweight children that grow up to be overweight parents. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The problem with your entire post: it's wrong.
                        Can you please tell me which of my peer-reviewed citations to the fact that obesity is roughly 2/3rds genetic (or epigenetic) are invalid?

"Let's get one thing clear: I don't ask questions on MDA. That's not why I come here. I come here to answer questions people have. Whether or not you listen to me is of no consequence to me. You have absolutely nothing to offer me. If you don't want my advice, don't take it.
                        That's interesting. What led you to decide that you are smarter than everyone else?

JS

Comment

Actually, I am not sure about the statement regarding the bread. I grew up with bread, every day I went to the local bakery and bought 2 or 3 baguettes. Every time I came back home about 2/3 of one was missing, already in my belly. The stuff is so tasty, the smell so spell-binding when it is still a little bit warm from the baker's oven that you simply cannot help, hungry or not. 30mn later, with almost a whole baguette in my belly, I became ravenous and had to eat half of another baguette at least, but this time with more foods, whether they were french fries, pasta, what-not, bread was there too. When I was old enough to drive a car, I would then drive to the bakery ... but ate even more bread!!

So what was driving my behavior ? something in the bread maybe ? Today, I don't eat bread and I am not ravenous all day long. I eat carbs all right (potatoes, rice, even pseudo-grains sometimes, plenty of fruits in season) yet I am not ravenous. It is the nutrient density I believe, and the very small amount of anti-nutrients. That is what drives your eating behavior: the body's hunger for the needed nutrients and bread offers nothing but a fake impression of nutrition

Comment

so to simplify: If High Carb then Low Fat but if High Fat, then Low Carb?

Comment

KiteKasia, if that was that simple, nobody would argue here. I eat white rice with butter or duck fat, lots of fruits and fatty meats, etc. No problem, I have been at it for quite a while now to convince myself that it is my ideal diet. I am neither low carb high fat or the opposite, I just eat non toxic stuff according to taste, without stuffing myself all day long and I work out because I like it, not because I want to look like a top model. I like this relaxed attitude about food, which resonates well with my French side

Comment

so to simplify: If High Carb then Low Fat but if High Fat, then Low Carb?
                                This is how I operate. The only deadly diet is high fat, high carb with a calorie surplus imo. I think some people do better on LFHC and some do better on HFLC. Both will keep you slim. For me, I ate an extremely low fat vegan diet for about a year - fruit, plain potatoes, plain rice, lots of big salads and veggies for protein. Yeah, I wasn't fat, but I sure didn't feel good. I know other people on that diet who are kicking ass and taking names, and I would never call them liars, but it didn't work for me. I finally feel great on HFLC, but I know people that this diet isn't working for. If they want to call me a liar, whatever. I'm secure with my decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X