I.F.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.F.

Should a fast be done on a workout day? I was planning on skipping breakfast on Sunday and lifting weights, followed by sprints.

I'm no expert here, but I'm pretty sure you're going to get alot of "yes"s on this one! I've read tons of posts on IFs and it seems everyone's doing them and working out at the same time! I'm not terribly sure of the reasons that its beneficial, but I did it once and felt fine. I did a deadlift/pullup/run workout...come to think of it...I wasn't even sore the next day! Hmm..maybe I should do more of these

Comment

Yes but you should aim to work out towards the end of your fast and eat soon after to prevent excessive muscle loss.
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

there will be no muscle loss unless you are doing 72 hour fasts.

You'll be producing the same hormones from both working out and fasting - but multiplied by two now.
        I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Seriously. People need to stop being so afraid of losing muscle mass. If it were that easy, we'd all be dead or in horrible shape.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Regarding fasting, if you fast and then eat your normal amount of protein during your eating window, does that counter the effect of fasting? I hate to fast, but wanted to give it another go because I want to be sub 10% BF. But I also want to continue to get my daily recommended protein intake.

Comment

I would say as long as you are getting the correct amount on an average over the course of the week you would be ok. If you're fasting to be sub 10% BF, then you're obviously approaching fasting as a means of caloric restriction. So, you could probably get your daily intake of protein while being in a state of caloric restriction.
              I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I love a good sprint workout at the end of a fast, especially if I am starting to feel the hunger. I think of it as running to catch my meal.
                Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

I do the same thing too. I always tell people, "I like to earn my meal".
                  I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

It's my preferred mode to workout in. I IF 4-6 days a week. No muscle loss here.

Comment

Yes,working out in a fasted state is just fine. It make take you some getting used to, but once you do you might even like working out more that way.
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
                        Seriously. People need to stop being so afraid of losing muscle mass. If it were that easy, we'd all be dead or in horrible shape.
                        Exactly. Unless you are training to become an elite bodybuilder where you need to optimize conditions for muscle growth to the nth degree I wouldn't worry. The media, once again, had done a wonderful job of filling people's heads with nonsense. Ooh...we MUST eat every 5 minutes or our metabolisms will stop and we will die! NEVER exercise without eating or you will waste away to nothing and die! What a load of crap.
                        My photography:
                        http://www.swiftimages.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                          Exactly. Unless you are training to become an elite bodybuilder where you need to optimize conditions for muscle growth to the nth degree I wouldn't worry. The media, once again, had done a wonderful job of filling people's heads with nonsense. Ooh...we MUST eat every 5 minutes or our metabolisms will stop and we will die! NEVER exercise without eating or you will waste away to nothing and die! What a load of crap.
                          What a great marketing tool though huh? Eat Eat Eat because we need to Sell Sell Sell ...
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'm in the middle of my first IF (I'm going to do it for 20 hrs) and I just did a complex workout - it was crazy hard but I felt awesome! I figured I'd be totally wiped out after the first set of the pyramid but I felt great.

Comment

This is a really complicated question based on many things. Are you working out to gain muscular size? Strength? Fat loss? How are your macronutrients %s?

People like to throw out stats and figures, such as 'no muscle catabolism unless you've been fasting 72 hours...' That's just silly to apply that to everyone. Your body is a highly complex system, regulated by many things.

If you are looking for permission to train fasted, just do it! Find out how your body reacts to it and go from there. There has been some research finding that fasted training is beneficial. But that really depends on your unique body and goals.

I know for a fact muscle anabolism does not happen unless there are enough resources (nutrients) to support it. Some people have had success with calorie/nutrient cycling combined with intermittent fasting to promote significant lean mass gain with out added body fat. Do some research on that, www.leangains.com is a good resource.

If you are serious about your goals, you should start a detailed training log. In it you should track eating patterns, workout intensity/volume and your progression. This will help you greatly when trying to find what works for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X