Whats goin' on???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh brother. If she ate a stick of butter a day and nothing else, she'd lose weight. When everyone is done trying to find the magic solution to effortless weight loss, the successful ones generally figure out that eating fewer calories than one needs to maintain is the key.

Low carb may make it easier because it decreases appetite for many people.
    Lower fat may work because fat is so calorie dense that you can eat more filling bulky foods and so feel sated.

But at the end of the day, you have to eat fewer calories than you need to maintain. Sadly, there is just no magic.
    If she ate a stick of butter every day, she'd lose weight.

Most of the weight would be from water and lean tissue. I'm not sure what your point is. If all she ate every day was the equivalent calories of refined white sugar, she'd lose weight, too. Probably more than the butter, actually, since all that sugar would probably send her thyroid through the roof. Both are bad ideas.

Fat isn't very anabolic. Out of fat, protein and carbohydrate, a diet high in fat will likely lead to the most lean tissue loss than anything else. A diet high in protein and roughly even in fat and carbohydrate (but still a calorie deficit) will likely preserve the most lean tissue. Exclusionary dieting in a deficit (low fat or low carb) seems to perform worse in studies than a balanced approach. And, of course, the more aggressive the deficit, the higher you want your protein to be and the more you should lift weights to preserve lean mass.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
      I personally like to actually eat food instead of drinking fat. So, if you like to eat, don't follow this advice.

Like Joanie mentioned above, eat less than your maintenance and you lose weight. It's very easy to overconsume fat, especially in liquid form, so if that's pushing the OP over the edge, it needs to go.
      Food is awesome, spending hours a day cooking and cleaning isn't. Cooking one large kickass meal a day and feasting after feeling awesome all day and out performing regular people works for me. Losing fat and gaining muscle isn't bad either.

The OP mentioned bulletproof coffee, so I don't think the advice they are looking for is stop eating fat and eat lots of potatoes and fruit. Optimizing the bulletproof intermittent fasting experience seems to be what they are looking for.

That being said, this thread doesn't need to devolve into another butter vs sugar argument like so many others.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
        Maybe lunch isn't a good idea. When I have bulletproof coffee in the morning I have no interest in lunch and could easily forget to have dinner, though I don't. Have a cup of yerba mate for lunch if you get false hunger pangs. I find that I switch over seamlessly from the butter and MCT to body fat. Let the ketosis run off body fat for a while before dousing it with food.

Considering a bulletproof coffee as written is calorically equal to a 12 egg omelet, I'm not surprised.

However, it comes with none of the nutrition or protein. It's just refined fat. I'd prefer the 12 egg omelet than 2/3 of a stick of butter.
        Food is awesome, spending hours a day cooking and cleaning isn't. Cooking one large kickass meal a day and feasting after feeling awesome all day and out performing regular people works for me. Losing fat and gaining muscle isn't bad either.

The OP mentioned bulletproof coffee, so I don't think the advice they are looking for is stop eating fat and eat lots of potatoes and fruit. Optimizing the bulletproof intermittent fasting experience seems to be what they are looking for.

That being said, this thread doesn't need to devolve into another butter vs sugar argument like so many others.

Considering that fat is the least anabolic macronutrient out of the three (fat, protein, carbohydrate), the macronutrient that is virtually always the one being stored as fat around your body, causes no measurable increase in metabolic rate upon ingestion (unlike carbohydrate and protein) and provides little satiety since no chewing is involved, the last thing I would ever do to lose weight is drink refined fat.
        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-23-2013, 10:30 PM.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

What? Geeze. Just do what works for you but stop trying to convince others to go the same route.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

That's great that it works for you. But, if someone is looking to lose weight, a massive amount of butter and MCT oil is not helping their calorie balance.
            My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              I don't track my calories anymore, but a rough estimate is around 30% fat/35-40% protein/30-35% carbs.
              I mean no disrespect ChocoTaco, but you seem to the total opposite of a lot of what Ive read here over the years, and the books! The majority seem to agree that in percentages, fat comes first, then protein and then carbs. Yours seems to be the total opposite!
              I'm not saying this to say your wrong, whatever works for you is great! But I know that eating that way is what made me change to the paleo/primal way in the first place because it just wasnt working!!

Also, your comment : "I'd prefer the 12 egg omelet than 2/3 of a stick of butter" well thats just an opinion. For me? Id rather have the butter in my coffee!
              I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

Rattybag, I think there are others who do advise eating their food rather than drinking calories and personally that makes sense to me too. As does eating a balance of protein, fat and carbs - with protein being the first one to be dialled in. To be fair, I would hardly describe Choco's mix of roughly equal calories as the "opposite" of anything. If what you're doing is not working (which you admit), then please take note of everyone's input.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
                  For me? Id rather have the butter in my coffee!
                  But this isn't working for you either, if you're making a post asking what's going on.

Some can't do high fat. I'm one of them, it makes me gain. That's just the breaks. I'm actually having success with greater satiety eating some of the things that are meant to be "in moderation" under the Primal Blueprint.

I assume it's been suggested, keep the macros if you want, but lower your overall calories by a bit and see how that goes for a few weeks. If it's not working, you're going to have to try something else if you want to see success.

Comment

Rattybag, I've been fighting Chocotaco for months. He routinely touts his diet as the One True Diet. His way may work for young men, but it doesn't work for middle-aged women.

That said, you're eating too much fat, not enough meat, and it looks like you aren't getting nearly the nutrients you need.

I suggest trying something radical.

Steak
                    Eggs
                    Kale
                    Berries
                    Green Tea
                    A little butter and salt for flavor.

That's all. For 4-6 weeks. If that doesn't shock your system into weight loss, then I'll admit that *I'm* at a loss.
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Why so much coffee? Do you really like the taste, or are you trying to put off hunger? Are you unable to make it through the day energy wise without it?

I think you should try eating only actual food for a while. Have your morning cup of coffee, but try to eliminate the rest to see how your body is functioning. If you are having energy depletion issues and can't keep going without the coffee, you need to make some changes to your diet. You may be masking some problems, possible nutrient deficiencies, with your overuse of coffee. Just something to consider.

Comment

Thanks Oxide, I give your suggestion a try!!

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                          Why so much coffee? Do you really like the taste, or are you trying to put off hunger? Are you unable to make it through the day energy wise without it?
                          I drink coffee because I love it is the simple reason. I dont feel its a 'need' but more of a 'want'!
                          My energy function seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                            But this isn't working for you either, if you're making a post asking what's going on.
                            This. You have asked for help but appear to be pushing back against the advice you're getting. You've been advised repeatedly to go lower fat. Stop eating so much fat, and drinking coffee "with a touch of cream" all day long.
                            be the hair that knots with my hair
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
                              This. You have asked for help but appear to be pushing back against the advice you're getting. You've been advised repeatedly to go lower fat. Stop eating so much fat, and drinking coffee "with a touch of cream" all day long.
                              OK OK! Hush my mouth! Wish I never asked! There is no need to attack me.
                              I wont ask again.
                              Thank you to those that gave constructive advice.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Low carb may make it easier because it decreases appetite for many people.
                                Lower fat may work because fat is so calorie dense that you can eat more filling bulky foods and so feel sated.
                                Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                                I'm not sure what your point is. If all she ate every day was the equivalent calories of refined white sugar, she'd lose weight, too. Probably more than the butter, actually, since all that sugar would probably send her thyroid through the roof. Both are bad ideas.

Fat isn't very anabolic. Out of fat, protein and carbohydrate, a diet high in fat will likely lead to the most lean tissue loss than anything else. A diet high in protein and roughly even in fat and carbohydrate (but still a calorie deficit) will likely preserve the most lean tissue. Exclusionary dieting in a deficit (low fat or low carb) seems to perform worse in studies than a balanced approach. And, of course, the more aggressive the deficit, the higher you want your protein to be and the more you should lift weights to preserve lean mass.
                                Her point is that just because you think you can tell somebody what to crave, and you can order them to eat exactly what you eat, doesn't mean their bodies will obey your edicts and will be satisfied eating the restricted fat diet that you find satisfying.

You don't care whether someone finds it easier to stick to your diet or not. We aren't individuals to you, we are all exactly the same. It's all mind over matter to you. Power through those cravings. Live with them, resist them forever. Love that eating disorder mentality.
                                Last edited by eKatherine; 08-24-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X