Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats goin' on???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by moluv View Post
    Also open to suggestions for a better tracker app.
    Here is a good one

    CRON-O-Meter: Track nutrition & count calories

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
      I have butter with my coffee because of what I read when it first came out about it, and I put the cream in my other coffees because I need to keep low carb for seizure control
      Wow, if that was revealed in the first post, this massive bummer of a thread would have turned out a lot differently.

      And moluv, I remember you posting a day of eating once. I think you said you went crazy on the fruit that day and ended up at like 400 grams of carbohydrates, mostly from fruit.

      Comment


      • I think it is important to remember that dieting is about context and goals, and while a very low carbs/ketonic diet may not be a healthy long term solution, it can serve “pragmatically” in several situations! Like when coming off a SAD diet and losing weight for sedentary and overweight people. A diet mainly on whole foods and low on carbs can help people diet down and get their addictions to certain processed food under control and help resetting their metabolism by losing weight. Then when issues are clearing up, the dieter leaning out and getting more physically active, then it’s time to reintroduce more “primal” carbs again.

        People living a very sedentary lifestyle may also do better on low(er) carbs, - not that I recommend a sedentary lifestyle though…
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

        - Schopenhauer

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post

          And moluv, I remember you posting a day of eating once. I think you said you went crazy on the fruit that day and ended up at like 400 grams of carbohydrates, mostly from fruit.
          Nope wasn't me. I've been fasting the whole week I've been on here and have not tracked macros in years. I have eaten some fruit and rice though before I started fasting.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by moluv View Post
            I don't know because all I can see on myfitnesspal is just the calories! Pretty embarrassing to admit but I have deleted that app repeatedly because I can't figure out where the macro breakdown graph is 😳. Also open to suggestions for a better tracker app.
            Are you talking about the iPhone ap? The number of carbs fats protein etc is on the home tab, click daily. Hope that helps! I don't know if the ap has a graph but i think the web version does. I use them mostly because they seem to have a big database. I have downloaded others and deleted because something wasn't available.
            Last edited by lea; 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM.

            Comment


            • I just check and there is a graph under daily-just look for the little graph symbol.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by L0kI View Post
                You're lovely, aren't you? If people would simply indicate that what they are advocating with a particular piece of advice is not aligned with PB, that would help reduce the confusion... 33:33:33 is not what Mark advocates and it does not align with PB... So when Choco / you advocate this to an innocent question, it causes confusion, can you not see this? Perhaps it would be helpful to have a section on the forum dedicated to more advanced nutrition modifications and have a section for people trying to adhere to the prescribed plan as written.

                Anyway, with the ridiculous insults flying now, I'm going to bow out... I don't want to infect this lovely Sunday with such vitriol....
                How does it not align? The problem is, what you are saying is wrong, and you are too proud to admit it. If a person ate 150g carbs, 150g protein and 60g fat, all from primal food sources, how is that not primal. Stop spewing nonsense and what your personal definition of primal is. People like you are poisoning this forum

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lea View Post
                  Are you talking about the iPhone ap? The number of carbs fats protein etc is on the home tab, click daily. Hope that helps! I don't know if the ap has a graph but i think the web version does. I use them mostly because they seem to have a big database. I have downloaded others and deleted because something wasn't available.
                  YES! Thank you that's what I was missing. [slaps forehead]

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by moluv View Post
                    YES! Thank you that's what I was missing. [slaps forehead]
                    No problem they kind of hid it-I would have put it a tab over.

                    Comment


                    • The ONLY thing you can do that will reliably show results is to EXPERIMENT. Until you tweak your diet according to your own needs, you'll be vulnerable to the downsides of whatever approach you are following. Our basic physiology is identical, but our individual differences are enough to make any given diet work like magic for one person and like poison for another.

                      The one rule that will work for everyone is to eat real, whole food of the highest quality you can afford -- meat, fish, fruit, eggs, dairy, vegetables, nuts, seeds, tubers, spices, herbs, etc. Beyond that, YOU have to determine which quantities and preparations of these foods will assist you in reaching your goals.

                      OP, I would recommend cutting back on coffee. One user here, Paleobird, quit caffeine entirely to alleviate epilepsy. Weight loss often begins with restoring your metabolism. Coffee can be a great tool for some, but if your metabolism is wrecked, drinking four cups a day will make it very difficult to lose weight. Restoring your metabolism has a lot to do with reducing stress and eating nutrient-dense foods. Unfortunately, while grass-fed butter is a good source of certain nutrients, it is not nutrient-dense enough to merit eating 2/3 of a stick per day. It may not make you unhealthy, but if your goal is to lose weight, you should consider changing that habit.

                      Neckhammer's comments earlier on in this thread will be a good starting point. Keep protein levels around .7g - 1g per pound of lean mass, and experiment with carb:fat ratios until you hit a sweet spot. Lower carb (150g or less) is a good starting point, but you may need to increase carbs at some point. Eat nutrient-dense foods whenever possible (cooked vegetables, offal, fermented foods, fruit, tubers, etc.). You can try carb/calorie cycling -- high carb/low fat/high calorie on workout days, low carb/high fat/low calorie on rest days. Get adequate sleep + sunshine + water.
                      Last edited by tarek; 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM.

                      Comment


                      • It's not actually and I'm not proud of anything. Mark says time and again thoughout the book and website to stay under 150g or you will start to gain. The foods might be paleo, but the plan isn't PRIMAL.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by L0kI View Post
                          Mark specifically notes staying below 150g if carbs MANY times in the book and on his board. And staying below 100g for weight loss... So unless you're eating extremely low amounts of food, high-carb doesn't fit into the model. Sorry, that part is pretty clear.
                          So would you suggest that someone who does highly glycogen depleting workouts 3 times a week can NOT be primal because they refeed with carbs post workout? How about someone doing a strength program like starting strength. Lifting heavy like that can't be a primal workout because to gain strength and lean mass you might need to eat 400g of protein a day to fuel that.

                          Lets split hairs, how about 1refeed a week? How about 80/20 eating, Mark's template not mine.

                          I really think we are missing the point here. F**k the macros, are we eating real food, minimally processed, moving a lot, lifting heavy things, playing. If you don't PLAY you're not primal either, Mark says it is a central tenet of the lifestyle.

                          Or we could all share our experiences, n=1's and help each other

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by thriveful View Post

                            F**k the macros, are we eating real food, minimally processed, moving a lot, lifting heavy things, playing.
                            I am really tired of the "whole food real food minimally processed" mantra that seems to plague the Primal community. If you want whole and minimally processed, then I suggest you look up the raw food movement. Or the organic yet skinny fat vegetarians. Am I allowed to eat the raw wheat berries that Whole Paycheck sells in bulk? It doesn't have any additives so I guess it's real, huh? Soynuts whose only process was drying? How about minimally microwaved corn on the cob. Natives lived off of maize... No? Meanwhile, the primal favorites like bacon and kumbucha and even coffee are processed like mad. And "whole" means nothing unless you're eating stuff without cutting it up. Then I guess Primal is something OTHER than minimally processed real food.

                            The point is that Primal isn't what you eat; it's what you DON'T eat. Primal is quite clearly: no grains, no additives, no cooked-up veggie oils, and less than 150 carbs/day. Processed or not, whole or not.

                            I am NOT going to take the bait about a big boy bodybuilder refeed "proving" that middle-aged women can chow down on 200 g potatoes and still be primal.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by L0kI View Post
                              Mark says time and again thoughout the book and website to stay under 150g or you will start to gain. The foods might be paleo, but the plan isn't PRIMAL.
                              Except it doesn't actually work like that in practice for everyone. 151g carbs, brb weight gain? If you want, need or prefer to stay under that limit, that's totally fine. I know you're new so you want to do the best "primal" that you can, but relax.

                              Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                              I have butter with my coffee because of what I read when it first came out about it, and I put the cream in my other coffees because I need to keep low carb for seizure control
                              Wow, if that was revealed in the first post, this massive bummer of a thread would have turned out a lot differently.
                              Seriously. That is a legitimate reason to be low carb.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by oxide View Post
                                I am really tired of the "whole food real food minimally processed" mantra that seems to plague the Primal community. If you want whole and minimally processed, then I suggest you look up the raw food movement. Or the organic yet skinny fat vegetarians. Am I allowed to eat the raw wheat berries that Whole Paycheck sells in bulk? It doesn't have any additives so I guess it's real, huh? Soynuts whose only process was drying? How about minimally microwaved corn on the cob. Natives lived off of maize... No? Meanwhile, the primal favorites like bacon and kumbucha and even coffee are processed like mad. And "whole" means nothing unless you're eating stuff without cutting it up. Then I guess Primal is something OTHER than minimally processed real food.

                                The point is that Primal isn't what you eat; it's what you DON'T eat. Primal is quite clearly: no grains, no additives, no cooked-up veggie oils, and less than 150 carbs/day. Processed or not, whole or not.

                                I am NOT going to take the bait about a big boy bodybuilder refeed "proving" that middle-aged women can chow down on 200 g potatoes and still be primal.
                                This is the problem with ranting for the sake of it and taki g evrrything literally when it suits. We pretty much all know what is prpbably not ideal to eat of you want tp eat on a pal\paleo vein, no need to state the obvious.

                                If we almost all agree that pufas and wheat etc are provably not conducove to good health, them we are still left with eating minimally processed foods.

                                Raw food movement? Why would I want to fo that when it is well known that cookong makes a greater amount od nutrients bio-available in most cases.

                                You are so tied up in the minutiae that you are missing the broader picture.

                                And if eating more than 150 g of carbs per day makes one not primal, then I and probably a large section of this forum are not, we are experimenting, learning, sharing experiences and growing in knowledge.

                                Surely you understand that rhe carb curve is wrong, insidious weight gain just aint happening for many people eating over 150g of carbs per day. If you cant tolerate carbs eat less, but if you metabolism and lifestyle tolerate/require more, thats cool too.

                                Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X