• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein Only

Hi All,

Would just like to know, is it safe if I eat protein
    only for say a week, with no carbs.

I have heard that eating just protein on its own
    for to long can have a bad effect on the kidneys.

I was thinking if I eat protein only for a while
    it would help jump start my weight loss quicker.

I would love to know what you guys think on this

Thanks
    couchie

This might help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...roversies.html
    http://sterlingadvice.blogspot.com
    http://teambeachbody.com/coachster
    sterlingpurdy@gmail.com

Comment

Rabbit starvation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
      NOT a good idea.

Comment

Thank you for the info, so from what I can work out
        it is best to have some carbs ( veges ) and good fats
        with your protein. I cook my meat in coconut oil or rice bran oil
        if the boys are home, they don't like the taste of coconut oil.
        I also use garlic and herbs for seasoning.
        I can't wait for my book to turn up, hopefully soon.

Thank you
        Last edited by couchie; 05-03-2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

first of all WHY would you want to do this...wouldnt help you mental well being and sounds VERY diety...primal is a lifestlye change for life...second, its practically impossible without fat free protein shakes to eat meat of all protein. no meat is ssentiall fat free...

it ddnt take you a week to need to lose weight and a week aint gonna fix you
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I agree with malpaz. We'll help you have a super-charged rocket-ride to the peak of great health and you'll lose all of that extra adipose tissue in the process. There's no other way that makes any sense.

Plus fat is yummier than protein.
            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Rice bran oil? Ditch it! Why not cook with butter or bacon fat? Plus, it tastes so much better!

Comment

Originally posted by ZoŽ View Post
                Rice bran oil? Ditch it! Why not cook with butter or bacon fat? Plus, it tastes so much better!
                This....or buy some avocado oil..delicious!

Comment

I saw some avocado oil at the "health" food store but didn't buy it. I think my linoleic acid phobia (not quite as catchy as carbophobia) is getting out of hand! Sigh.

Comment

Why so scared of linoleic acid?

Comment

It tends to be converted to pro-inflammatory eicosanoids, lowers the amount of DHA I have in my cell membranes, and it generally accumulates in the tissues and poses a risk to peroxidation. There's some proposed interference with important enzymes and signaling molecules regardless of being paired with omega 3, although omega 3 mitigates the effects of the eicosanoids to a certain extent which is why the 3:6 ratio is so important . Most paleo buffs agree that we had little of it in our diets at any time throughout our evolution and the general consensus is that it is especially harmful because it isn't likely to be oxidized for energy but accumulates.

Some avocado, olive oil, low omega 6 nuts and the like are probably fine, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what moderation is. Kurt Harris at PaNu basically says the less the better.

Then there's that http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...erational.html and a host of other linoleic acid bashing. Granted a bit of cold-pressed avocado oil is better than canola or soybean and has less linoleic acid but I'm kind of an obsessive. That and there's only so much omega 3 I can consume in a day and I favor the 1:1 ratio.

Comment

*Looks at you with an avocado in his hand.
                        *Looks at the avocado.
                        *Looks at you.
                        *Looks at the avocado.

Start's to cry ;(

In serious fashion now, I think moderation is regulated by common sense and your body, too much of a thing and your body will react to it.

If you take something anything, fruit, meat, vegetable, oil and search for any negative feedback, you will find it, like spinach and Oxalic acid.

We seem to live in extremist times now days.

Thanks for the info Stabby, makes me be aware of my ratios .

Comment

Eating too much protein means that the excess protein gets converted into glucose....so probably not the best way to lose fat, aside from the digestive issues and inevitable stomach ache.
                          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by FrankOcean View Post
                            *Looks at you with an avocado in his hand.
                            *Looks at the avocado.
                            *Looks at you.
                            *Looks at the avocado.

Start's to cry ;(

In serious fashion now, I think moderation is regulated by common sense and your body, too much of a thing and your body will react to it.

If you take something anything, fruit, meat, vegetable, oil and search for any negative feedback, you will find it, like spinach and Oxalic acid.

We seem to live in extremist times now days.

Thanks for the info Stabby, makes me be aware of my ratios .

I'm pretty sure that a poor omega ratio or eating oxidized PUFAs is up there with following the SAD diet and eating 11 servings of bread, pasta and fiber 1 cereal. Or eating sugar. Heck usually in tandem considering the bread and cereal will have vegetable oil and HFCS. Sometimes I forget that a couple of extra grams of omega 6 is puny compared to what most people are putting their bodies through. But then I think about it and I want to be like Grok. His meat and eggs had a good ratio of omega 3 to 6, he ate fish, and he really wasn't getting all that much linoleic acid. He got incredible micronutrients and didn't destroy his digestive system with gluten, lectins, and pasteurized dairy products. So I hope to avoid these neolithic agents of death as best I can, partly with the help of contemporary science and a strong will.

In other words I'm nuts! (with a limited amount of dietary nuts)

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                              Eating too much protein means that the excess protein gets converted into glucose....so probably not the best way to lose fat, aside from the digestive issues and inevitable stomach ache.
                              Thanks Bushrat and every one else.

I asked about the protein only because the former
                              weight loss program I was on here in Australia does that.
                              Bushrat, no wonder I was so constipated and pains in the belly then.

It is low fat ( by the way I never said I was cutting fat, only carbs )
                              high protein, you start with 3 protein only days and then 1 protein
                              only day a week. I couldn't stick with it because I love my avocados
                              and butter to much. By the way I love cooking in butter, it just has
                              a wonderful flavor with everything.I am not eating grass fed beef yet
                              only supermarket, as I haven't been able to get it, but my brother inlaw
                              was up on the weekend who is a butcher, and he said he has it. So will have
                              to take a trip up to cairns and get some.

I am still confused with a lot of it, so please bear with me.
                              When I get my book I am sure I should understand better.

Cheers
                              couchie

Comment

Working...
                              X