Bacon and Bacon Grease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Also, what types of bacon are healthier? Should it be organic, nitrate-free bacon? Is there such a thing as bacon made from grass-fed pork? If such things exist, where are the best places to buy it?
    I'm guessing you have nice co-ops in your city. Check the meat counter (not the boxed/wrapped meat) and the bacon there should indicate a single farm you can ask about or google on your phone--that's what I buy.

I pour the fat through a strainer into a glass jar and use it to sauté vegetables, especially things like collards or red cabbage. It also makes a good coating for oven roasted vegetables like turnips or brussels sprouts. 1 tablespoon goes a long way.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Hmmm I eat bacon with breakfast most every day and I source mine from pastured heritage pigs I am going to start collecting my fat to make a batch of fried sweet potato fries

Comment

I collect it and keep it in a plastic container with a screw-lid that I keep in the fridge (I don't pour it in until it's cool to the touch, obviously). I mostly use it for scrambling eggs in, but really just any kind of cooking that'd normally involve butter or some other oil, greasing pans for baking, etc..
        My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
        (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
        Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
        (Red Dwarf)

Comment

I agree 100 percent with finnegans wake. I am lucky enough to have a hog hunter in the family so I always have a freezer full of wild hog and there is no comparison to conventional pig. I can't even eat the stuff from the grocery store anymore.

Comment

I don't live near any cool co-ops (just one overpriced specialty market), but I've been buying a Smithfield brand from Walmart that advertises no nitrates "except for the naturally occurring nitrates found in celery juice powder and sea salt." It says it's uncured & "not preserved." It does have turbinado sugar added (not exactly sure what that is), but it's not enough sugar to show up on the nutrition facts, so I'm okay with that. The package says nothing about how the pigs are raised, but I figure that it has to be better than the overly processed stuff. By the way, I'm new here, and I'm not sure what CW stands for . . . ?

Comment

@PinkyT, CW=Conventional Wisdom, which is what magazines, newspapers, tv, dieticians & other conventional sources of information about diet, exercise, cholesterol & health et al, tell the general public what to eat to be healthy. ie "eat lots of whole grains, do cardio, restrict calories & fat & exercise your ass off to lose weight, saturated fat is evil". these type things that the general public accepts as conventional wisdom, we as a group reject 90-100% of it. The proofs in the pudding(coconut pudding?) ie general public's weight & health vs the stud muffins & weight loss, health recovery stories on MDA.

Bacon grease for the eggs that I eat w/ the bacon: check
              Bacon grease for sauteeing yummy, healthy leafy greens or spinach.
              Bacon grease wouldn't taste & feel so damn good goin down & staying down, if it wasn't good for you... hehe

@CaliforniaGirl,
              You live in SF. AppleGate bacon is not GREAT, it rates 1 out of 5, Whole Foods has local bacon that rates 5(best they have) for the same per lb price as the Applegate in bulk, packages of AppleGate are even more expensive. Niman Ranch has amazing beef, pork, organs from their Marin ranch. You can get in @ some Farmer's Mkts in SF, order it online or come out to Marin & visit the farm!! Also Marin has Sun Farms, another top quality meat/organ alternative: expensive but great. If cost is a big concern, get some hi qual bacon @ Costco & stock up, as mentioned in this thread earlier...

I eat bacon every Sat, Sun mornings, once in a while done day during the week. Or sometimes I'll even eat commercial quality bacon from restaurant salad bars, on my salad if I eat out. As it appeals to me better than other scarier, grosser looking processed meats on display. It's irrational I know, but if I'm going to eat low quality restaurant food, bacon on the salad bar makes me happiest while doin' it...

Buy high quality bacon! Compromise if you must, while eating out...
              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

^ Yup.... All that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                  She's a witch! Burn her!
                  She turned me into a newt.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

i got better
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                      i got better
                      watery tart
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

english pigdog
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

I use bacon grease to fry "treats" like paleo chicken tenders or zucchini fritters. EVCO and EVOO is expensive and bacon grease is a great alternative. I save the grease for these special occasions when I just need something deep fried! Sometimes my family can afford free range, organic bacon from the local Mennonites, and sometimes it's bacon from the dreaded Walmart. It's hard enough to engage in this lifestyle, so I say do the best you can with your resources.

Comment

I LOVE bacon grease for throwing into my cast-iron skillet before I cook up some scrambled eggs ... or saute some veggies ... or sear some meat. But yeah, I was kinda iffy about the quality of fat from the regular ol' bacon I made. My solution? I bought some pork skin from a pastured pig. It was CHEAP because not many people want the skin. I put it skin-side down in the smoker, and smoked it for about 4 hours at a low temp. Then into the crock-pot until every drop of fat was rendered off. The result? Creamy, wonderful, super smokey fat. It's magical. Highly recommended as an alternative if you're really worried!

Comment

Originally posted by KimInGA View Post
                              I LOVE bacon grease for throwing into my cast-iron skillet before I cook up some scrambled eggs ... or saute some veggies ... or sear some meat. But yeah, I was kinda iffy about the quality of fat from the regular ol' bacon I made. My solution? I bought some pork skin from a pastured pig. It was CHEAP because not many people want the skin. I put it skin-side down in the smoker, and smoked it for about 4 hours at a low temp. Then into the crock-pot until every drop of fat was rendered off. The result? Creamy, wonderful, super smokey fat. It's magical. Highly recommended as an alternative if you're really worried!
                              OMG... that is amazing.

Comment

You should definitely toss that bacon grease...right over to me!

I save it in a jar in the fridge, strained. So good for frying! Don't be afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X