Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you explain what this means?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can you explain what this means?

    "Cooking does, however, produce some inflammatory compounds. I don't think that most of the rearrangements of carbs, e.g. caramelization, that produce browning and new flavors, are a problem, but browning proteins with carbs, e.g. grilling, results in glycation. The glycation of proteins with high blood sugar is what causes the dangerous symptoms of diabetes."


    confused...??
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

  • #2
    I don't get it, either. Grilling is just browning proteins, not proteins with carbs. And there are proteins in vegetables. So WTF.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

    Comment


    • #3
      it was what dr ayers said at cooling inflammation... im confused...dont grill veggies and beef together??
      Get on my Level
      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        When they say that glycation (AGES) cause the symptoms of diabetes, they are talking about when somebody has massive insulin resistance, eats a muffin and the glucose circulates for a long time smacking into proteins and causing the forming of AGES that do a lot of damage to the body. Cooking can produce glycated proteins in meat but generally few of them get absorbed and a lot of them are dealt with by the immune system residing in our gut before they get to the blood stream where is where they do the real damage. I wouldn't over-cook anything and favor slow cooking methods, but I wouldn't sweat it.
        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

        Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

        Comment


        • #5
          thank you
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            The carbs are what produce the most glycation, (that's one reason we minimize them:-) We don't want a lot of glycation going on (which happens when you eat carbs, but fructose in particular is the most glycating) because it ages our cells (esp. collagen and temporal lobe brain cells. Yikes!)
            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Also I just skimmed a medical journal article and it looks like the jist is don't cook your steak with sugar-heavy bbq sauce. Fructose glycates proteins like mad during cooking, as it does in the blood.
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

              Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                "The glycation of proteins with high blood sugar is what causes the dangerous symptoms of diabetes."
                I think the concept is a bit strange, because what is dangerous is glycating proteins that already exist in your body as part of functional molecules (enzymes, receptors, whatnot), not just "protein" in general. Eating glycated proteins isn't at all the same thing. They will be digested and broken down into glucose and amino acids.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                  "Cooking does, however, produce some inflammatory compounds. I don't think that most of the rearrangements of carbs, e.g. caramelization, that produce browning and new flavors, are a problem, but browning proteins with carbs, e.g. grilling, results in glycation. The glycation of proteins with high blood sugar is what causes the dangerous symptoms of diabetes."
                  Here's a little more information. It appears that eating glycated proteins isn't in and of itself a problem, but eating what is created when the proteins glycate:
                  http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-glycation.htm
                  Glycation also occurs outside the body, however. In fact, exogenous glycations are responsible for allowing foods to brown during cooking. This type of glycation is dubbed the Maillard reaction, in honor of the early 20th century French chemist that first observed how sugars react with fats or proteins while exposed to high temperatures. While crisp French fries and grilled meats may be tasty, the reaction that produces them also creates 2-propenamide, a suspected carcinogen that comes with the meal. In addition, exogenous AGEs are sometimes added to certain foods to enhance color and flavor, including baked goods, dark colas, and coffee.



                  and on HCA's (possibly problematic compounds created when roasting at high temps)
                  http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...ocyclic-amines
                  "Research has shown that cooking certain meats at high temperatures creates chemicals that are not present in uncooked meats. A few of these chemicals may increase cancer risk. For example, heterocyclic amines (HCAs) are the carcinogenic chemicals formed from the cooking of muscle meats such as beef, pork, fowl, and fish. HCAs form when amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and creatine (a chemical found in muscles) react at high cooking temperatures. Researchers have identified 17 different HCAs resulting from the cooking of muscle meats that may pose human cancer risk."

                  Best,
                  Katherine



                  iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice post, cillacat. And nice posting in general. We certainly welcome people with lots of knowledge who aren't afraid to elaborate.

                    Mark said something in a radio show he did a few days ago about antioxidant-rich food counteracting a lot of the carcinogens created even in the case of over-cooking. He said even a salad pretty much nullified the carcinogenic compounds, although I forget which ones he was specifically talking about.

                    It also appears that cooking with spices greatly reduces certain allegedly harmful compounds. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/91/5/1180

                    Although I suspect that heightened postprandial antioxidant status is effective too. Also, certain phytonutrients inhibit AGES formed in the blood by circulating sugars. That being said most studies looking at harmful effects of cooking on meats usually use excessive heat and reckless cooking temperatures. I'd be interested to know what my boiled/simmered cow tongue swimming in spices contains. Not a lot I'm guessing
                    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

                    Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      soo in essence...it is still ok for me to sautee my onions and steak together... if i have a salad on the sidE?
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Certain condiments can also act as antioxidants (for example mustard) and even as anti-microbial agents (for example Wasabi in connection with raw fish).

                        I wouldn't worry too much about those things ... when you follow a primal diet you'll usually balance meat with vegetables.
                        MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i like mustard... on my meatballs and mixed in salad dressing!
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                            Nice post, cillacat. And nice posting in general.
                            Thanks Stabby! I have to say, it was a little intimidating to make that first post;p This is a very knowledgeable group.

                            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                            Mark said something in a radio show he did a few days ago about antioxidant-rich food counteracting a lot of the carcinogens created even in the case of over-cooking. He said even a salad pretty much nullified the carcinogenic compounds, although I forget which ones he was specifically talking about.
                            It does make sense....it's likely that it'll work for all of them as long as our antioxidant load is sufficient and of course that varies massively depending on a number of biochemical factors.

                            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                            It also appears that cooking with spices greatly reduces certain allegedly harmful compounds. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/91/5/1180

                            Although I suspect that heightened postprandial antioxidant status is effective too. Also, certain phytonutrients inhibit AGES formed in the blood by circulating sugars.
                            Agree on all counts. If it wasn't almost time for a carpool run, I'd spend some time looking it up

                            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                            That being said most studies looking at harmful effects of cooking on meats usually use excessive heat and reckless cooking temperatures. I'd be interested to know what my boiled/simmered cow tongue swimming in spices contains. Not a lot I'm guessing
                            Exactly. Moist heat, low cooking temps - and boiling is very low compared to high temp roasting or the even higher temp grilling - seem to minimize any of these concerning processes.

                            Best,
                            Katherine



                            iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X