Udi's Gluten Free Bread - Is this considered Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Udi's Gluten Free Bread - Is this considered Primal

I got my Finance to go on the Primal diet with me but he is really having a hard time keeping weight on. I had suggested that he stop eating Udi's gluten free bagels as I considered this to be gluten free junk food. He feels that the lack of carbs is what is making him lose weight. He also has blood sugar issues and can't eat fruit, dark chocolate or an excessive amount of berries. I suggested that he eat sweet potatoes but they aren't super easy to make then I read the ingredients of Udi's products and with the rice flour and potato flour, it really seems like it kind of is primal. What do you all think, is this considered Primal and do you think it is okay to eat a 1/2 a bagel each morning? Also, what would be other good carb choices for my Finance that aren't sugary? Thanks.

Well, I would suggest eating the most carbs for supper... it helps with sleep. Overall I'd say that the bagels are a safe starch but lacking in nutrition. So if he really wants them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But one thing you could do is make sweet potatoes or baked potatoes the night before so you can fry them into a hash on the morning. I do that all the time.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I believe I saw the Udi's bagels contain corn syrup somewhere. Double check. I'm sure you can find Gluten Free breads without it.

Rice and potatoes are a lot cheaper.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

From here: Whole Grain Bread | Udi

UDIíS BEST BLEND (TAPIOCA & POTATO STARCH, BROWN RICE & TEFF FLOUR, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH), WATER, NON-GMO VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OR SUNFLOWER OR SAFFLOWER), EGG WHITES, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, TAPIOCA MALTODEXTRIN, TAPIOCA SYRUP, YEAST, FLAX SEED, XANTHAN GUM, SALT, BAKING POWDER (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CULTURED CORN SYRUP SOLIDS (NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR), DRY MOLASSES, ENZYMES.
        Honestly, since I don't have gluten/grain issues, I'd rather just buy a loaf of sourdough bread with four ingredients that I recognize.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

"Finance?" is that what have when you get engaged to your accountant?
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
            I believe I saw the Udi's bagels contain corn syrup somewhere. Double check. I'm sure you can find Gluten Free breads without it.

Rice and potatoes are a lot cheaper.
            I never noticed the corn syrup. I will re-read the ingredients. I hope it doesn't have it because it is the best tasting g/f bread that I have ever had that is somewhat primal.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
              I suggested that he eat sweet potatoes but they aren't super easy to make
              I rinse mine a bit, poke a few holes in and stick them in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Really easy actually.

Not sure on the blood sugar issues and adding carbs, but can't he just eat more per meal also? Other non-fruit primal carbs are dairy, potatoes, rice, starchy veg like squash.

Comment

You can also boil sweet potatoes until soft. Use a peeler or knife to get the skin off, chop it up, boil in water until soft. Drain, mash, add whatever you want to it, and enjoy. There are plenty of primal starches that he can enjoy that should help with blood sugar regulation and weight control.
                Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  Honestly, since I don't have gluten/grain issues, I'd rather just buy a loaf of sourdough bread with four ingredients that I recognize.
                  What do you ask the baker to be sure you are getting good sourdough bread? Do you ask them if its fermented or what? I assume your not talking about the crap I see on the shelf called sourdough right next to the wonderbread.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                    I rinse mine a bit, poke a few holes in and stick them in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Really easy actually.

Not sure on the blood sugar issues and adding carbs, but can't he just eat more per meal also? Other non-fruit primal carbs are dairy, potatoes, rice, starchy veg like squash.
                    Neither one of us has had a microwave in the house for over 10 years and we avoid them like the plague, but I guess I could just bake a bunch of them on Sunday for the week. Having him eat more rice is a good idea also, it just seems like it is really easy to overeat but I guess its okay since he needs the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                      "Finance?" is that what have when you get engaged to your accountant?
                      What a funny type, I didn't notice that.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        What do you ask the baker to be sure you are getting good sourdough bread? Do you ask them if its fermented or what? I assume your not talking about the crap I see on the shelf called sourdough right next to the wonderbread.
                        I'd also love to know where to find good sourdough. Do you think WF would carry it or would I have to seek out a smaller, independent bakery?

Comment

Neither one of us has had a microwave in the house for over 10 years and we avoid them like the plague, but I guess I could just bake a bunch of them on Sunday for the week.
                          Gotcha. Batch oven baking for the week would be my lazy go-to then!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            I haven't bought it in a long time, and it's surely not as good tasting as bakery bread, but WFoods carries a sliced sourdough (they don't have Wonderbread, so it's next to their sliced hippie breads) that has four ingredients with nothing odd. I understand avoiding gluten/wheat, after all, I'm here. But if I wanted bread, I'd rather buy that. It's like full fat vs low fat - why buy the low fat when they've added all kinds of gums and stuff to substitute for the consistency the fat used to give to the product?

If I were celiac, or even had issues with wheat, I wouldn't. But (and maybe I misread or read-in) it seemed like the OP's SO was just looking for calories or carbs.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

What do you all think, is this considered Primal...
                              Absolutely not. There is no meaningful definition of "primal" that includes a product like this.

...and do you think it is okay to eat a 1/2 a bagel each morning?
                              Sure, if it fits your caloric and macro plan there's no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X