Help with low tolerance to alcohol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with low tolerance to alcohol

I have always had a low tolerance to alcohol but in recent years it has gotten worse. I have only been doing Primal for a few months and it doesn't seem to have affected it one way or another but I have been doing low carb for a long time. Last night I went out and all I had was one glass of champagne and I woke up feeling horrible and I am just starting to feel better now and it is 8:00 pm. It doesn't matter what I drink - red wine, white wine, champagne, vodka, mixed drinks, beer, it all affects me badly. It is not like I want to drink all of the time, but it would be nice to go out and have a couple of drinks once in a while and not feel completely wrecked the next day. I have tried taking all sorts of supplements before and after drinking - B complex, C, milk thistle but it doesn't help. The only thing that helps a little bit is drinking like 3 big glasses of water between each drink. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Mark suggested eating something fatty beforehand - a piece of cheese for example.

Comment

I know it will sound a little silly but ... have you considered NOT drinking alcohol at all ? I am personally alcohol free (I used to binge 10-15 years ago but that's over), no prob with social events, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
        I have always had a low tolerance to alcohol...... It doesn't matter what I drink - red wine, white wine, champagne, vodka, mixed drinks, beer, it all affects me badly........
        From just those 2 statements.... my recomendation? Don't drink.

Comment

I always eat something beforehand, carbs seem to do the trick in "buffering" the effects of alcohol.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
            I always eat something beforehand, carbs seem to do the trick in "buffering" the effects of alcohol.
            Yeap. I used to think it was the grease in the pizza I'd eat beforehand, but it was definitely the carbs. Since eating higher carb, alcohol doesn't hit quite as quickly or as hard as it did when I was low-carb. It's not the same as my pre-primal tolerance, but it's better.
            Depression Lies

Comment

I'm a slow metabolized as well. Low carb vastly improves my recovery time and quality, but that one drink still puts me down. I agree with everyone else- I don't touch my drink until I've eaten and it irritates me when they bring the drink long before the food so all I can do is stare at it. Last night I went out alone (Im traveling) and ended up having to read at the bar for a while after dinner because I didn't feel safe driving home. (And from experimentation I know I was probably at 0.04 or less... I am HORRIFIED that our legal cut off is 0.08.)
              “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
              Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Just like any innate sensitivity, I would think just giving it up would be the answer. Or suffer through the aftermath. There are tons of people who are sensitive to gluten here, and they either quit wheat (and other sources), or they suffer the consequences.

Eating while you're drinking will slow down the absorption of alcohol because your pyloric valve will slow the contents from reaching your small intestine and blood stream.

A couple of aspirin before bed and/or a couple if you get up to pee in the middle of the night might help with your hangover symptoms.

Still and all, not withstanding all the "drink a glass of wine and live to be 100," stuff, alcohol is a toxin. It seems to be an acute one for you.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

many of us women do not metabolize alcohol well--females have a tendency to stop making alcohol dehydrogenase--thus feeling just awful with very little alcohol. For me, about 4 hours after taking a drink, my heart starts pounding and there is no way at all to sleep, not to mention feeling like puke the next day. I find that a) eating beforehand, and b) making sure the drink is VERY dilute (think vodka with soda and lime) helps.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
                    but it would be nice to go out and have a couple of drinks once in a while and not feel completely wrecked the next day.
                    Offer yourself up beforehand as the designated driver. Everyone around you will feel free to drink all they want. And you would be amazed the histories they tell and the feelings they reveal when they are drunk. Meanwhile, you'll be stone cold sober, listening intently, asking the occasional (probing) question, quietly mentally packing away their secrets for future reference. There are advantages to not being the drinker.

[and keep a bucket handy in the car]
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I've noticed that I'm now extremely sensitive to alcohol since cutting out bread. I feel the effects of even one glass of wine.

Or maybe I'm juts getting old
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Drink more and more often. You must train!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j6JvewV0MOA

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          Drink more and more often. You must train!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j6JvewV0MOA
                          Sounds silly but it makes sense. Depends on how old you are though... I am guessing you wouldn't probably want to binge-drink at 45
                          I remember when I was back in my 'best days' drinking 2 times a week. I could down a half bottle of vodka straight and find myself finishing the rest of it an hour later.

Now that I drink only occasionally, I can 'feel it' just after few drinks.

Comment

Are you sure it's not the preservative they put in the wine? Have you tried an organic wine?

Comment

Working...
                            X