dairy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peril View Post
    I eat cheese almost every day. I finish dinner with a plate of cheeses between 100-200g and a generous glass of red wine. It is my heart tonic (Vitamins A & K2 from the cheese and reveratrol from the wine). Don't bother to correct this misconception - I'm not listening
    Sounds good to me

Originally posted by peril View Post
    And hard cheeses like cheddar are up to 25% protein, but the vitamins are most important, which is why I don't go near low-fat dairy. I won't pay someone to make my food less nutritious
    Yep makes sense.

Comment

Yes - if it's real Parmesan (Parmiggiano Reggiano) it will be raw. And it benefits by not denaturing the proteins (making allergic reaction less likely) and by default not being homogenised either (which also denatures proteins). If anything the ageing process makes it more digestible - it futrther reduces the lactose content (which ends up at zero by the time it is sold) and there is some other benefit from the ageing too but I can't remember the details now and can't really go looking as nursing youngest pigling and stuck with only phone and one free hand! Anyway - it's delicious :-)

Parmesan is the classic cheese to try first if making a tentative reintrodution with dairy after an elimination for gut health. If you don't react to Parmesan, proceed with caution. But in fact Pecorino (same process, but from sheep milk) or Gruyere would probably do the job just as well.

Brie de Meux and Roquefort (sheep) are also raw by appellation. And delicious. Soft though so some (small) lactose content.

Comment

Originally posted by freerangepiglings View Post
        Brie de Meux and Roquefort (sheep) are also raw by appellation. And delicious. Soft though so some (small) lactose content.
        It's Brie de Meaux

And I agree, one of my favorite cheeses. I have access to other raw milk based cheeses from France: Camembert de Normandie, Livarot, Pont-L'Evèque, Coulommier, various Tommes (de Savoie, des Pyrénées, etc), ..., the list is long! I also heard that in France, cheese producers prefer the A2 type of milk because its protein curds better. I am not sure if all French cheeses are A2 only, but chances are that it is will have little A1 due to its poorer properties for cheese prod.

Comment

Typos were inevitable due to the one-handed nursing/typing - I am sure there are plenty more to be found in my post if anyone would care to edit them!

Comment

Originally posted by freerangepiglings View Post
            Typos were inevitable due to the one-handed nursing/typing - I am sure there are plenty more to be found in my post if anyone would care to edit them!
            No prob, it is good for the record to have the proper name so that anyone can quickly look it up. Nursing ... yeah, I remember those days (one of my kids was on bottles rather than breast so I gladly shared the load at the time .... glad I am out of it ...)

Comment

Cheese is why I wish to go to France. Fortunately there's a border with Germany, so I can also travel and get some premo sausage.

M.

Comment

I recently started adding a tablespoon of Almond Butter to my plain greek yogurt and it's DELICIOUS!!!! I can eat that as is, add some fruit if I want, add a little chocolate even, or whatever. It all depends on what I'm looking for and what my goal is. I've found it as a great alternative for when I need some protein but don't particularly feel like meat. It's also great when that sweet tooth is starting to kick in a little...

Comment

I've been having more dairy than meat this week, and food prep has simplified. Meat takes time to cook.

Found some parmesan cheese today. Ingredients: pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend you replace your meat intake with dairy intake. However, if you must, go for grass-fed/finished dairy.

Comment

Working...
                    X