dairy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
    Don't you live on a tropical island in Asia? For me, getting enough protein from cheese would mean sending my calories way out of whack from fat intake. If you have whole milk products available, try any of those. Cream is a good source of fat calories, but not a good source of protein.
    I don't need to get all protein from cheese, just some. I eat eggs and offal regularly, but large quantities are not appetizing for me. I'm looking for alternatives to meat. Some days I just don't feel like a lot of meat.

Comment

Well, i think!
      A dairy is a business enterprise established for the harvesting of animal milk mostly from cows or goats, but also from buffalo, sheep, horses or camels for human consumption.

Comment

I meant to say something similar to what eKatherine said. Didn't mean to imply low-carb etc
        Milk - 50% sugar (lactose) and 30% protein. AS AN EXAMPLE. I realise cheeses and yoghurt have different (better) ratios.
        Not to say this wont work for you or is bad, I guess I'm actually trying to feel out some more information myself :P

Comment

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
          I meant to say something similar to what eKatherine said. Didn't mean to imply low-carb etc
          Milk - 50% sugar (lactose) and 30% protein. AS AN EXAMPLE. I realise cheeses and yoghurt have different (better) ratios.
          Not to say this wont work for you or is bad, I guess I'm actually trying to feel out some more information myself :P
          Lol, I'm not sure yet it'll work for me either. But it's fun to experiment. Anyway I like cheese and cream so cutting it out would be hard. I was happy to see that dairy can be part of a healthy diet. People used to talk about dairy as their 20%.

Comment

Aged, unpasteurised hard cheeses like Parmesan, Vintage Gruyere and some of the more artisan, aged, raw cheddars have zero lactose (so no worries if you are lactose intolerant) and also have a very impressive protein count. Whilst raw milk is hard to obtain (depending where you are) unpasteurised cheese shouldn't be and it is much more easily tolerated. Parmesan and Gruyere have appellation systems that require that they are made from raw milk so they are great. They are very calorific so that's something to be aware of but personally I find cheese very satiating so don't worry overly about that. A small piece of cheese takes me a long way. Parmesan is amazing for cooking. And when it's fresh enough ( newly opened into, or correctly stored) just for nibbling. Goes very nicely with that glass of red Mark is always mentioning.

Comment

I eat a giant block of New Zealand "grass-fed" cheese every Saturday, and often buy another for the week! Should I? IDK! But it's delicious! I went without dairy for a LONG time, and now I can handle raw dairy and several cheeses just fine. No idea what my body chemistry does after I eat it, but I poop fine so meh. Joints have been stiff again lately, but I've also had some red sauces in the recent weeks. Don't know which to blame!
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have been reintroducing dairy again recently as a sort of experiment.

Unfortunately it seems to really affect me. Cheap dairy in particular gives me a full on head cold which is very annoying.

I don't seem to react as bad to greek yoghurt and better dairy but it still affects me.

Think I will probably have to kick it for good
                2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

Well, I admit - too much for me does seem to bring the zits a tad...
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by freerangepiglings View Post
                    Aged, unpasteurised hard cheeses like Parmesan, Vintage Gruyere and some of the more artisan, aged, raw cheddars have zero lactose (so no worries if you are lactose intolerant) and also have a very impressive protein count. Whilst raw milk is hard to obtain (depending where you are) unpasteurised cheese shouldn't be and it is much more easily tolerated. Parmesan and Gruyere have appellation systems that require that they are made from raw milk so they are great. They are very calorific so that's something to be aware of but personally I find cheese very satiating so don't worry overly about that. A small piece of cheese takes me a long way. Parmesan is amazing for cooking. And when it's fresh enough ( newly opened into, or correctly stored) just for nibbling. Goes very nicely with that glass of red Mark is always mentioning.
                    Thanks for the info. Unpasteurised cheeses are a bit hard to find, but good to know that about parmesan and gruyere. I was so overwhelmed with the choices in the dairy section.

I have difficulty just nibbling on cheese... usually have a few oz in one sitting! But makes me happy

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      I eat a giant block of New Zealand "grass-fed" cheese every Saturday, and often buy another for the week! Should I? IDK! But it's delicious! I went without dairy for a LONG time, and now I can handle raw dairy and several cheeses just fine. No idea what my body chemistry does after I eat it, but I poop fine so meh. Joints have been stiff again lately, but I've also had some red sauces in the recent weeks. Don't know which to blame!
                      If I can find grass-fed cheese, I would get it in a heartbeat!

Actually, I found some goat cheese and sheep cheese (feta) today and just bought a few blocks. Not as much protein as cottage cheese, which I could not find anymore anyway, but at least didn't have weird ingredients in them. Feeling adventurous these days (and lazy to cook...).

What in red sauce?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC29 View Post
                        I have been reintroducing dairy again recently as a sort of experiment.

Unfortunately it seems to really affect me. Cheap dairy in particular gives me a full on head cold which is very annoying.

I don't seem to react as bad to greek yoghurt and better dairy but it still affects me.

Think I will probably have to kick it for good
                        I don't care for cheap dairy-- not satisfying at all. I'm okay so far with good quality dairy.

Comment

If I can find grass-fed cheese, I would get it in a heartbeat!

Actually, I found some goat cheese and sheep cheese (feta) today and just bought a few blocks. Not as much protein as cottage cheese, which I could not find anymore anyway, but at least didn't have weird ingredients in them. Feeling adventurous these days (and lazy to cook...).

What in red sauce?
                          I get my cheese at Trader Joe's.

Red sauce is made of nightshades like tomatoes.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Red sauce is made of nightshades like tomatoes.
                            Real World Translation: Red sauce is marinara sauce, tomato sauce, or pizza sauce. A sauce made from tomatoes &/or peppers.

I watch him eat it .

Comment

How big is your "giant block"?

Good for you buying NZ made.
                              Annie Ups the Ante
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

How big is your "giant block"?
                                6"/7" by 4" by 1", usually.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X