What's the better butter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the better butter?

Is there any advantage to eating the cultured, "European style" butter as opposed to American sweet cream butter? Do they make butter from sheep or goat's milk?

A couple months ago I resolved to eliminate dairy, but now I don't think butter is particularly harmful where casein and lactose are concerned. I eat the unsalted stuff by the spoonful.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

European Style yada yada, just a gimmick I suppose. I always go for Kerrygold. Can't beat that.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Kerrygold unsalted is my butter of choice, too. Available at all supermarkets that I've checked.
      Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Yes there is goat milk butter. I've never tried it but I think most Whole Paycheck stores sell it.

Comment

+1
          Kerrygold

Although I usually but the Salted unless I am making ghee.
          Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

I get the salted Kerrygold.

If you include cheese in your diet they have a really awesome reserve cheddar, it's tasty and a little goes a long way!

Comment

I've tried finding the nearest distributor of Kerrygold butter and could only find it in the US. I usually make my own butter(easy, whipping cream, hand mixer, mix until it turns into butter. Or pour cream into clean glass jar, put lid on tight and shake forever until it separates and you feel the butter form).

Does anyone know a close alternative in Canada?
              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I tried some Kerrygold while I was in Hawaii. I hope they sell it in Canada but I don't recall seeing it.
                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I had no idea there was a different 'European' butter. I'll look out for it at my next shop. Might just buy it to see what it tastes like.

I buy New Zealand Anchor butter. I am from there originally and the cows live outside on grass, which they eat most of the time. Quite reasonably priced here in the UK.
                  My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I'll add my voice to Kerrygold. Great stuff: the first butter I've had that I can eat by the spoonful (and sometimes I do).
                    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

I get Meyenberg goat butter sometimes, and it's ...well...goaty. I wouldn't get goat butter unless you really enjoy the farmy flavor.

Kerrygold is always in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by jo View Post
                        I buy New Zealand Anchor butter. I am from there originally and the cows live outside on grass, which they eat most of the time. Quite reasonably priced here in the UK.
                        I also like salted Anchor, yummy - though am a bit unhappy about food miles! I also buy organic Yeo Valley butter, which is local to the UK.

Kerrygold seems popular in the States, I thought it was Irish...

Comment

Kerrygold is Irish, although my ex-inlaws in Ireland always used that crappy margarine junk.
                          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupry

Comment

In the Midwest, Pastureland 100% organic grass-fed butter is sold from spring to fall. You can freeze it for the winter. Good stuff, but pricy at $7.50 per lb.

Comment

Originally posted by MariaNYC View Post
                              Kerrygold unsalted is my butter of choice, too. Available at all supermarkets that I've checked.
                              IT'S NOT SOLD IN MISSISSIPPI..... what else is new... we have NOTHING HERE
                              Get on my Level
                              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X