Broccoli is killing me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broccoli is killing me?

I've just learned about goitrogens (e.g. http://www.pathmed.com/faq/?p=368). Apparently all the healthiest veggies have them and will wreck my thyroid. There are apparently toxins in everthing.

I want to eat the heathiest diet possible. What meats, veggies and fruits/berries should I eat?

You can eat them - just not raw. Make sure they're cooked first.

Comment

I've read that cooking kills some of the goitrogens, but maybe at best 1/3. Are there any veggies I can eat raw that I won't find out a month from now are loaded with toxins?

Comment

Isothiocyanates (the goitrogenic compund in cruciferous veggies) is not a toxin. It is naturally occuring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isothiocyanate
        Unless you have thyroid problems, I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are other chemicals in the world that are probably doing you more harm than. And cruciferous veggies have so many positive health benefits!

Comment

Nope. they're all bad for you in some way or another. Nightshades, goitrogens, carcinogens, nitrates... just eat the veggies you like, your body'll sort out what it doesn't like and let you know. I don't worry about it too much.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

I think the stress surrounding your diet is far more unhealthy than what you're eating.

Do you have known thyroid problems?

Comment

Go carnivore.
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Not sure if this will help, or give you a heart attack, but *everything* can be poisonous... even the oxygen we depend on.... http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomen...ygen-be-toxic/

Comment

And yet... we're still alive.

Comment

I have hypothyroid and I eat broccoli quite often and it's had no adverse effect on my thyroid. I just don't eat it raw.

Comment

In summary: cooking destroys many of them. Increased iodine expels them from the thyroid. And I don't really think that broccoli has very much to begin with. Degree of severity needs to be taken into account. Lettuce is damaging my DNA! Is it of consequence? Probably not.

Eat your broccoli if you see fit. Watery vegetables aren't the enemy and broccoli in particular is a good source of vitamin c and k1.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I have no known thyroid problems, though only time will tell. I really like broccoli for its health benefits and ease of preparation (raw). Or at least I used to.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this. I discovered that I have the willpower to eat just about anything. I'm lucky that way. So I said to myself "Okay, if I can eat anything, what is the best thing to eat?" And I'm working that out. I went from first a very controlled diet that consisted of a lot of rice and hemp protein with fruits and veggies to paleo. I'm still refining until I get it right, not because I stress out about it -- I try to take a break from it once in a while and eat deadly fast food or sugary dessert. Rather, what's really interesting is the ability to put together as perfect a diet as possible.

As for everything is poisonous, fair enough. But take that to its logical extreme, and you're washing down Krispy Kreme's with Coke Extreme. Yee ha!

Comment

As an addendum, this discussion reminds me of the Penn and Teller video where they get people to sign a petition banning water. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

Comment

I tend to subscribe to the idea that plants don't want to be eaten and since they can't run away in defense they have developed chemical warfare tactics. Once a clean, grass-fed cow is dead I believe it is pretty much benign other than any stored, environmental toxins it may have picked up. I don't eat much vegetation because I really don't think it is meant to be eaten in vast amounts. I also think that all these wonder chemicals in the plants that we keep hearing about are produced by the plants to be used by the plants and not humans. Do we really think plants have evolved to provide humans with food? I believe we will start seeing more and more that the media and science have greatly exaggerated the antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc and their roles in human health.
                            Last edited by Mac; 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM.
                            My photography:
                            http://www.swiftimages.net

Comment

It really depends upon which antioxidants and phytonutrients you mean. I agree that vegetables really aren't all they're cracked up to be. Hell, it's the belief of most people that if they drink some V8 and eat a salad all of their health problems are solved. The antioxidants in vegetables aren't that great (better if cooked) and they have some inconsequential toxins (less if cooked), and are a good source of a few vitamins, but they're not to be the focus of any diet. Now cocoa, green teas, blueberries, and various spices and extracts do seem to have a lot more going for them, but not really vegetables. Still I don't think that they're the enemy. The toxic and antinutrient capacity of vegetables is downright puny compared to grains, legumes, and the like so if somebody really likes vegetables (as I do) they should go for it. Cooking is encouraged of course.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X