Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lentils help constipation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lentils help constipation?

    Ok, I'm reading lentils might help with constipation?
    Yes?
    Black magic specialist in bangladesh

  • #2
    Yes, all that fiber can clog you up...
    Crohn's, doing SCD

    Comment


    • #3
      It's been my experience that a decent fiber intake will regulate my digestion very well, but will not immediately have a positive effect. Given the carb in any legume, I prefer to increase my intake of leafy greens. Mustard and collard greens, kale, chard and spinach as well as cruciferous vegetables would be better IMO, if you're following PB. My two cents for what it's worth.

      Comment


      • #4
        A big mug of bone broth that you haven't skimmed the fat off of.

        A tablespoon or three of coconut oil.

        Just search the word diarrhea, and do what they did.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

        B*tch-lite

        Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by biko View Post
          Ok, I'm reading lentils might help with constipation?
          Yes?
          so do coconut oil, coffee, bone broth, exercise and magnesium citrate. all primal.
          Last edited by noodletoy; 08-16-2013, 11:01 AM.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

          – Ernest Hemingway

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by biko View Post
            Ok, I'm reading lentils might help with constipation?
            Yes?
            Rather than trying to eat something that will relieve a bout of constipation--or the opposite--one should strive to eat in a way that maintains regularity. If you are not pooping once a day, something is off. Also, if your poop is hard and not easily passed without straining, something is off. Both or these conditions: infrequent defacation and compacted stools indicate an improperly functioning gut--mostly diet related. Legumes can be part of a healthy diet plan, but not a quick cure for constipation.

            Better to examine your diet and figure out what is causing problems. Not drinking enough water, forcing yourself not to poop regularly, a daily big-ass salad, bone broth, and other primal blueprint basics. Get regular and keep regular!

            Comment


            • #7
              Richard Nikoley did a great writeup on beans, particularly lentils, the other day.

              How Resistant Starch via Potato Starch and Beans Helped a Type 2 Diabetic | Free The Animal

              Just because something is Paleo/Primal doesn't mean it is superior than something that isn't paleo/Primal. I believe most legumes to be more healthful than most nuts, assuming proper preparation of each. Dairy is also not "paleo," but I believe it to be superior to almost all foods. For example, I find dairy to be more healthful than poultry, pork, fish and most fruits and vegetables. The only thing I consider superior to unadultered, grassfed dairy would be ruminant meat, whole eggs, maybe shellfish like shrimp/clams/oysters and tubers like potatoes and sweet potatoes.

              Legumes are toxic raw, but when soaked, rinsed and pressure-cooked, they become something different altogether. I'd still avoid soy like the plague, but very low fat beans high in resistant starch like lentils, garbanzos, pintos and black beans I believe can fit into a healthy lifestyle for most of us. They are very low calorie, they are loaded with resistant starch (which means they convert mostly into short-chain fatty acids in our body, not glucose), loaded with soluble fiber for wonderful gut health, contain lots of protein (not complete protein, but this makes them very non-fattening) and they are super filling and mineral dense. They also seem to promote improved glucose tolerance in diabetics, along with increasing insulin sensitivity in normal folks.

              Have you ever tried making black bean brownies? If you use canned black beans (which are pressure cooked) and wash them very well, you can make a whole tray of brownies for a few hundred calories, most which is soluble fiber, protein and resistant starch.

              If you want a diet that promotes constipation, look no further than a diet filled with meat, fibrous vegetables nuts and seeds. Meat leaves little waste and vegetables/nuts/seeds are mostly insoluble fiber, which can clog you up, kill off gut bacteria cultures and even cause scarring of the intestines. Nuts, seeds and grains are the most problematic since the fiber is sharp and serrated, which can cut you up internally. If you want healthy bowels, you need soluble fiber and sugars as this is what feeds gut cultures. Fruits and starchy tubers like potatoes, sweet potatoes, well-cooked squashes, soaked and well-cooked beans, plantains and bananas can be your savior here. Fermented dairy is also your friend. Kefir and Greek yogurt are great meal supplements for gut health.
              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-16-2013, 11:22 AM.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

              Comment


              • #8
                Lentils are about the least offensive of legumes. I do like my daal, but have been off all legumes for a good long while. I happened to eat some daal (an Indian lentil dish) about a month ago and boy, did it flow through ...

                Yeah, if you're bunged up ...
                Paul
                http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

                "... needs more fish!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  A big mug of bone broth that you haven't skimmed the fat off of.

                  A tablespoon or three of coconut oil.

                  Just search the word diarrhea, and do what they did.
                  Bingo.

                  Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                  so do coconut oil, coffee, bone broth, exercise and magnesium citrate. all primal.
                  Right on.

                  Originally posted by otzi View Post
                  Rather than trying to eat something that will relieve a bout of constipation--or the opposite--one should strive to eat in a way that maintains regularity. If you are not pooping once a day, something is off. Also, if your poop is hard and not easily passed without straining, something is off. Both or these conditions: infrequent defacation and compacted stools indicate an improperly functioning gut--mostly diet related. Legumes can be part of a healthy diet plan, but not a quick cure for constipation.

                  Better to examine your diet and figure out what is causing problems. Not drinking enough water, forcing yourself not to poop regularly, a daily big-ass salad, bone broth, and other primal blueprint basics. Get regular and keep regular!
                  Very reasonable, and I agree. More lifestyle focus and less symptomatic treatment all round. Also recognize that lower carb inherently usually leads to less volumous poos. Hopefully people understand that this is not "constipation".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The once-a-day doesn't have to be a necessity. However, I've noticed that eating cleanest (fewest food additives), feeling light and energetic, and once-a-day all seem happen together.

                    If you're really stuffed up and just want to relieve it all now, nuts/seeds and fats work. You need to eat lots and lots of nuts -- like a half jar of Macadamias today and the rest of the jar tomorrow. Or half jar of peanuts in a day. Or a big handful of sunflower seeds (which is quite a bit). Couple that with heavily fatty foods -- frozen sausage for example -- and some coffee. No, it's not exactly primal, but it should get things moving and put you in a better mood.

                    It may be more useful to experiment and discover what blocks you up. For me, it's cheese (especially cottage cheese), excessive veggie fiber, and sugar.
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If fat is making someone go, wouldn't it because there's not enough bile produced to break it down and it's basically passing right through you along with whatever nutrients accompany it, e.g., laxative effect?
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

                      “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                        If fat is making someone go, wouldn't it because there's not enough bile produced to break it down and it's basically passing right through you along with whatever nutrients accompany it, e.g., laxative effect?
                        Overconsuming fat to the point where it makes your body so ill it leaks out of you is ridiculous. That's what people are honestly recommending, here. Nuts? Seeds? These are the things that give you digestive issues because they are full of pointy shards of insoluble fiber, and the solution is to eat so much of them it runs out of you? That's like consuming olestra, or jojoba oil. They're good laxatives - if you want oily, waxy "anal leakage" because your body can't digest the product fully. This thread is a disaster for the OP!

                        EAT SOLUBLE FIBER. Sugar, starch, soluble fiber, fermented dairy. That is how you get your system working. Sugar and soluble starch feed your gut flora. Eating things like meat, eggs, vegetables, seeds and nuts ONLY - AKA the low carb paradigm - kills off your gut flora. Bacteria feed off sugars. When all you consume is meat and sharp, pointy insoluble fiber, the bacteria die off because they starve. Nuts, seeds and drinking emulsified coconut oil to the point you get "oily discharge" is not the solution. Eat 3 sweet potatoes and 3 bananas and report back.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Overconsuming fat to the point where it makes your body so ill it leaks out of you is ridiculous. That's what people are honestly recommending, here. Nuts? Seeds? These are the things that give you digestive issues because they are full of pointy shards of insoluble fiber, and the solution is to eat so much of them it runs out of you? That's like consuming olestra, or jojoba oil. They're good laxatives - if you want oily, waxy "anal leakage" because your body can't digest the product fully. This thread is a disaster for the OP!
                          Ok. Here weeze goes again: No, Choco, it's a disaster for you, & your same ol same 'ol, "what's-right-for-me-is-right-for-everyone" dogma. I'd recommend fermented veggies, really chewing slowly and thoroughly, warm liquids and never cold drinks, 2-3 TBS of Chia seeds soaked overnight & consumed in the morning. So there, I said it: and it's a seed, an "oil seed" with both soluble and insoluble fibre, protein, ALA ie O3 precursor, & it's Primal.

                          And let's stop demonizing that evil "pointy, sharp" moderate insoluble fibre intake, like it'll cause ass-bleeding, coz for 99.9% of people, it won't, ever. Not if it's singular part of a sensible balanced diet & lifestyle.
                          But OP, sure eat lentils, if the idea suits you. I personally will eat lentils (yum, daal) and black beans & hummus once in a while, this is not supposed to be competition, torture or some life sentence of NEVER eating beans, or a random wheat pizza or ice cream fer chrisakes.
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          EAT SOLUBLE FIBER. Sugar, starch, soluble fiber, fermented dairy. That is how you get your system working. Sugar and soluble starch feed your gut flora. Eating things like meat, eggs, vegetables, seeds and nuts ONLY - AKA the low carb paradigm - kills off your gut flora. Bacteria feed off sugars. When all you consume is meat and sharp, pointy insoluble fiber, the bacteria die off because they starve. Nuts, seeds and drinking emulsified coconut oil to the point you get "oily discharge" is not the solution. Eat 3 sweet potatoes and 3 bananas and report back.
                          Onions and garlic are better pre-biotic foods, than most everything you listed. And fermented dairy? I eat it too, but it is the least of all the fermented foods I'd recommend (that I personally make and teach fermentation classes on), as an effective cure for constipation. Fruits and veggies, fermented, work so much better, for that loosening effect.

                          Sheesh... I was gone from MDA for almost a year, hoping things had changed around here, but I guess we're all the same, me included.

                          But I do consider myself something of an expert on constipation & poopish matters, seeing how I have ruptured discs and nerve damage that adversely affect my colon, these past 13 years.
                          Last edited by Betorq; 08-16-2013, 08:41 PM. Reason: typos
                          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                            Ok. Here weeze goes again: No, Choco, it's a disaster for you, & your same ol same 'ol, "what's-right-for-me-is-right-for-everyone" dogma. I'd recommend fermented veggies, really chewing slowly and thoroughly, warm liquids and never cold drinks, 2-3 TBS of Chia seeds soaked overnight & consumed in the morning. So there, I said it: and it's a seed, an "oil seed" with both soluble and insoluble fibre, protein, ALA ie O3 precursor, & it's Primal.

                            And let's stop demonizing that evil "pointy, sharp" moderate insoluble fibre intake, like it'll cause ass-bleeding, coz for 99.9% of people, I won't, ever. Not if it's singular part of a sensible balanced diet & lifestyle.
                            But OP, sure eat lentils, if the idea suits you. I personally will eat lentils (yum, daal) and black beans & hummus once in a while, this is not supposed to be competition, torture or some life sentence of NEVER eating beans, or a random wheat pizza or ice cream fer chrisakes. Onions and garlic are better pre-biotic foods, than most everything you listed. And fermented dairy? I eat it too, but it is the least of all the fermented foods I'd recommend (that I personally make and teach fermentation classes on), as an effective cure for constipation. Fruits and veggies, fermented, work so much better, for that loosening effect.

                            Sheesh... I was gone from MDA for almost a year, hoping things had changed around here, but I guess we're all the same, me included.

                            But I do consider myself something of an expert on constipation & poopish matters, seeing how I have ruptured discs and nerve damage that adversely affect my colon, these past 13 years.
                            In order for what I bolded. I didn't think to add that, but I consistently ferment my own veggies and eat them AND I add garlic and onion to almost every dish I eat. I have never ever ever had any problem with constipation, even when I was about as close to zero carb as I've ever been. I also eat a significant amount of nuts and seeds, especially compared to this community that is fearful of O6 content.

                            Your note on fermented dairy is right on in my experience. My youngest son was having loose stool and diarrhea. We were starting the GAPS/SCD program and the recommendation is to start the 24 hour yogurt as soon as possible to actually aid in firming things up. And it worked! Just based on that I would not make it a recommendation for constipation.... and that program does not either.... recommended to avoid the dairy/yogurt for a longer period if constipation is an issue.

                            As to the last..... well yeah..... just yeah.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Which supplements are recommended for 'moving thngs along'? Ive heard of magnesium and vit c being a good combo. Any comments?

                              Ive bought some swedish bitters for the time being. It hs a bit of senna and rhubarb in it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X