Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colpo's response to Lustig, Taubes and Toxic Sugar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Belforte View Post
    This Anthony guy has 1101 likes on Facebook, Catalyst has a bigger audience than him. The information is useful for someone starting out in their search for better health. He just likes writing big letters and big noting himself.
    You seriously think Facebook likes are an accurate measure of someone's audience? And have you even read any of Colpo's work beside just this one piece?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

    Comment


    • #32
      I like Colpo despite the fact that he can be abrasive and has had at least one go around with just about everyone in the diet, fitness, and cholesterol world. Richard Nikoley, Martin Berkhan, Fred Hahn and Durrian (not saying that he's not a douche bag that tangles with everyone himself) have also all had inflammatory exchanges with him as well.

      Colpo himself doesn't really advocate for sugar use, he just doesn't think that carbohydrates should be demonized and that exercise is an important part of staying healthy. He also thinks that if you're going to be giving out health and dietary advice you should be fit yourself. I agree with him on that. Guys like Lustig and Taubes would be better served to get into top shape themselves before they go advocating for their causes.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

      Comment


      • #33
        I like that guys like Anthony Colpo, Alan Aragon, Mark Sissan, Martin Berkhan, and Lyle MacDonald are themselves lean and fit. I think it's better to get health and dietary advice from people that are doing something that have their own fitness issues nailed down.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
          Durrian....
          DurianRider? I have to read that for some light entertainment.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
            DurianRider? I have to read that for some light entertainment.
            Yes that Durian, and their exchange was funny.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
              Guys like Lustig and Taubes would be better served to get into top shape themselves before they go advocating for their causes.
              Is there a swimsuit photo of Taubes floating around where he weighs 300 pounds that I've missed? In all the pictures I've seen he looks fine.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by lea View Post
                Is there a swimsuit photo of Taubes floating around where he weighs 300 pounds that I've missed? In all the pictures I've seen he looks fine.
                Well you see he doesn't have an 8 pack. Your ideas on nutrition and health are invalid without a shirtless photo exhibiting an unhealthy obsession..... Errr.... I mean to say a healthy 4% body fat. I mean its not like you could ever find an out of shape strength and conditioning coach right?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by lea View Post
                  Is there a swimsuit photo of Taubes floating around where he weighs 300 pounds that I've missed? In all the pictures I've seen he looks fine.
                  Nothing like like that exists that I'm aware of. Coplo has a pic of him in his article and if by fine you mean slightly overweight and doesn't get much exercise then yes. What doesn't exist is a pic of him in great shape. Point being if you're going to preach health and fitness through diet then be fit yourself.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                    Nothing like like that exists that I'm aware of. Coplo has a pic of him in his article and if by fine you mean slightly overweight and doesn't get much exercise then yes. What doesn't exist is a pic of him in great shape. Point being if you're going to preach health and fitness through diet then be fit yourself.
                    I agree with you to some extent. However, there is a problem when people start discounting accurate information because it's coming from a person who isn't "ripped". For example, based upon this logic, Ronnie Coleman should have the most knowledge and be able to give the most accurate information on bodybuilding, but this is not true.

                    I do think that everyone should practice what they preach, but there are too many other factors that come into play with physique (genetics being the main one). I'm definitely not saying that Anthony is wrong to bring up the physiques of the people he's questioning because he always has the science there to back it up, and I'm certainly not making excuses for Taubes and Lustig. However it does become a problem when people use appearance as the only measure of the accuracy of information.

                    That said, I agree with Anthony on most topics, I just wanted to throw that out there.
                    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                      Nothing like like that exists that I'm aware of. Coplo has a pic of him in his article and if by fine you mean slightly overweight and doesn't get much exercise then yes. What doesn't exist is a pic of him in great shape. Point being if you're going to preach health and fitness through diet then be fit yourself.
                      Yes, it's not the merit of the ideas being presented, it's the packaging they come in that really matters.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                      Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Jakejoh, I do understand that Facebook is not accurate, but I still bet Catalyst has a larger audience.

                        Daemonized, absolutely, but Mark seems to understand that some people come to this from a place of really poor health, Colpo is not coming from that place.

                        Neckhammer, you are absolutely correct, I find it astounding that people cannot see that.
                        Life. Be in it.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Well it's interesting and all....... but the if the reporter Maryanne Demasi asked me to help her with her homework, I wouldn't turn her down :-)

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                            I agree with you to some extent. However, there is a problem when people start discounting accurate information because it's coming from a person who isn't "ripped". For example, based upon this logic, Ronnie Coleman should have the most knowledge and be able to give the most accurate information on bodybuilding, but this is not true.

                            I do think that everyone should practice what they preach, but there are too many other factors that come into play with physique (genetics being the main one). I'm definitely not saying that Anthony is wrong to bring up the physiques of the people he's questioning because he always has the science there to back it up, and I'm certainly not making excuses for Taubes and Lustig. However it does become a problem when people use appearance as the only measure of the accuracy of information.

                            That said, I agree with Anthony on most topics, I just wanted to throw that out there.
                            Taubes doesn't exactly look good, but he's not in terrible shape. He makes some good points, but I think he misses the big picture. I wouldn't beat up Taubes for his looks.

                            Lustig, on the other hand, is very overweight. Whatever he's doing clearly is not working. I put as much stock into Lustig as I put into Bigfoot. No, scratch that. There is a huge amount of evidence and eye-witness reports for the existence of a Bigfoot-like creature in the Pacific Northwest. I actually find the existence of Bigfoot much better supported than what Lustig has to say. Did you know apples have a higher ratio of fructose to glucose than Coke? Those deadly, deadly apples...
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Maybe if he didn't do what he's doing then maybe he'd be fatter - who knows ?

                              In any case he looked like he lost some weight in the mentioned interview.

                              Interestingly Mexicoke and Aussiecoke are made with cane sugar - ripped off
                              Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 08-16-2013, 06:57 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
                                Maybe if he didn't do what he's doing then maybe he'd be fatter - who knows ?

                                In any case he looked like he lost some weight in the mentioned interview.

                                Interestingly Mexicoke and Aussiecoke are made with cane sugar - ripped off
                                White sugar is 50/50 fructose/glucose. HFCS is 55/45 fructose/glucose. I don't really see much difference. I avoid HFCS because it's entirely GMO, not because of the fructose content.
                                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X