Maple or honey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple or honey?

Apart from neither, which is the better option?
    Organic good quality Maple Syrup or Honey?

Just occasionally I want a touch of sweetness but hate the aftertaste of sweeteners.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

There really is so little difference between the two if you are eating them in small quantities. They're nutritionally empty, pretty much, in moderation. Yes I know they have nutrients, but IMO it's not worth it to eat sugar for the nutritional benefits. Eat whichever you prefer taste wise.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

There is potentially quite a large difference actually...

Honey is mostly fructose, which is difficult to digest for some people (see FODMAP diet, etc,).

Maple syrup is mostly sucrose (one molecule of glucose bonded to one of fructose). This means less fructose overall and it is also believed that the presence of glucose aids in fructose digestion.

That said, if you don't have any issues digesting fructose, raw honey has a better nutritional profile, although both are acceptable choices as far as sugars go.

My choice goes to maple syrup, high grade stuff tastes amazing!

Comment

I like maple syrup with some things and honey with others, depends on flavors.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I don't know if either of them is technically a "better option", but I am going to vote real maple syrup simply because it is close to my home and my heart And I have an intense hatred for that nasty corn syrupy fake junk that parades around as "maple syrup".

Comment

Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
            Apart from neither, which is the better option?
            Organic good quality Maple Syrup or Honey?

Just occasionally I want a touch of sweetness but hate the aftertaste of sweeteners.
            I would go with Maple syrup, but I'm influenced by the fact that I get it directly from my uncle who has his own land with maple and he makes everything. Always keeps the high quality syrup for the family then sells the rest to grocery stores.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              I like maple syrup with some things and honey with others, depends on flavors.
              Same.

Sidenote, apparently when my grandmother was a kid, someone in her family gave them 1 gallon of molasses a week. They were a large family, but I still don't know how they used it all.

Comment

Raw honey is supposed to be good for you in moderation (antioxidants I think?), but I can't even stand the smell of it after breaking sugar addiction. Way too sweet. I prefer pure maple syrup. Tastes much smoother and cleaner, if that makes any sense.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments - Maple Syrup it is then!!
                  I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

I prefer raw honey, because I have heard that MS even raw, organic is too heavily processed & acts as HFCS. And I grew up in a culture that considered honey a healing wonder.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

What constitutes "too heavily processed"? The only human processing that goes into Maple Syrup is boiling the sap. The tree does the rest. Maybe that makes it nature's HFCS, but I would wager that the effects it has on the body are not all that comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by fresa View Post
                        What constitutes "too heavily processed"? The only human processing that goes into Maple Syrup is boiling the sap. The tree does the rest. Maybe that makes it nature's HFCS, but I would wager that the effects it has on the body are not all that comparable.
                        Somebody on the MFP forums was arguing that honey is 'processed' because the bees process it.

Comment

Organic Blackstrap Molasses!
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

If your system can tolerate it, it doesn't much matter which you use, so long as it is basically a condiment and not a major part of your diet. I suppose if you were to make it a major part of your diet, there would be a lot of considerations. That might make you a Peatist. Slippery slope, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by lea View Post
                              Somebody on the MFP forums was arguing that honey is 'processed' because the bees process it.
                              Hmmm, really?? Well, that answers that then. Hold up on the maple syrup and honey, everyone! I guess we are no longer supposed to eat anything that has ever been heated, cooled, or been part the body of a living creature in any form!

...oh, wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X