Tapioca flour?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapioca flour?

Is Tapioca flour paleo? I need a alternative to coconut and almond flour as both are quite expensive.

Yes, it is. Another alternative is coconut flour.

Comment

It is. It's pretty good to use when you want a light-textured result.
      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Thanks, is it low in carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Buster11 View Post
          Thanks, is it low in carbs?
          It is almost pure starch, so no. Not low in carbs.

Comment

Oh dear. So are there no other alternatives to it apart from coconut and almond?

Comment

It is very inexpensive and worked very well for the taco shells I made. You cd. bend them like wheat flour tacos and the cosistency was much the same. Good luck. Due to the rather high carb content I don't use it for myself but my family enjoyed....

Comment

Originally posted by Buster11 View Post
                Oh dear. So are there no other alternatives to it apart from coconut and almond?
                Eat meat, vegetables, and fruit instead of baked goods.

Comment

depends what you use it for? i use tapioca starch as a binder for meatballs/meatloaf and only need about 1-2 T for a pound of meat.

i use rice flour to dust fish before i pan-fry it.

but yeah, i don't bake with any of this stuff.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    depends what you use it for? i use tapioca starch as a binder for meatballs/meatloaf and only need about 1-2 T for a pound of meat.

i use rice flour to dust fish before i pan-fry it.

but yeah, i don't bake with any of this stuff.
                    Ideally to make bread as I am 16 and constantly around bad influences in my family and friends

Comment

If your goal is to eat a low-carb diet, then it really makes sense to forgo baked goods. It doesn't make sense to expect to be able to eat carby foods when your goal is to not eat carbs. I paleo bake quite a bit, but I'm not trying to eat low carb so I use rice flour, sweet rice flour, coconut flour, and tapioca flour. Tapioca flour is my favorite, actually. Good for all kinds of things--cheese bread, pizza crusts, etc. Sweet potatoes work too for things like brownies. But most of these things are high in carbs because that's what baked goods are--they're high carb.

My journal

Comment

at 16 you don't need to be low-carb, but why not just have potatoes or rice?
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                          at 16 you don't need to be low-carb, but why not just have potatoes or rice?
                          I did have roast potatoes tonight and they were quite satisfying actually (hadn't eaten them in a while) and true I guess I'm pretty slim now at 8.3 stone but I'm scared I will go back to being 9-10 stone

Comment

That said, there was a time when I was into low-carb baking, and here's a bread recipe that makes a decent bread. The Best Grain-Free Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread (In the history of man) | Life As A Plate

Word of caution: The recipe calls for a combination of coconut flour and flax seed meal. I used to not worry about fatty acid oxidation as much, but, just so you know, flax seeds are high in alpha-linolenic acid, which is a short-chain omega-3 fatty acid that oxidizes extremely easily. Thus, it is probably not a good idea to use flax seed meal in baking (or cooking in general) because the high temperature will likely cause the ALA to oxidize. The same goes for almond meal, which is high in omega-6 fatty acids. I have no idea how the bread in the recipe would turn out if you eliminate flax meal.

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by diene View Post
                              That said, there was a time when I was into low-carb baking, and here's a bread recipe that makes a decent bread. The Best Grain-Free Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread (In the history of man) | Life As A Plate

Word of caution: The recipe calls for a combination of coconut flour and flax seed meal. I used to not worry about fatty acid oxidation as much, but, just so you know, flax seeds are high in alpha-linolenic acid, which is a short-chain omega-3 fatty acid that oxidizes extremely easily. Thus, it is probably not a good idea to use flax seed meal in baking (or cooking in general) because the high temperature will likely cause the ALA to oxidize. The same goes for almond meal, which is high in omega-6 fatty acids. I have no idea how the bread in the recipe would turn out if you eliminate flax meal.
                              Thankyou for your help.. I have found a recipe that looks fairly easy to make however ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1376340545.146108.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X