No announcement yet.

All or nothing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found too that the more carbs I have early in the day, the hungrier I am throughout the day. I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether it's starch or sugar. I used to have about 6oz berries with 3oz of yogurt (either full fat or 2% plus 1T sour cream) every morning. It's my all time favorite breakfast, but I was always famished by lunch.

I've gradually given up breakfast most days. It ended up being easier than finding something really worked for me for breakfast. Once I started adding gelatin to my morning coffee, skipping breakfast became a breeze. Now I have 2 cups of coffee, each with 1T heavy cream and 1/2t gelatin, around 7am and lunch around 11-1. It took me nearly 6 months to hone in on something that worked though, so don't get discouraged if you can't get it right away.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Have a banana. I make smoothies with banana and protein powder. Great filling meal, never makes me crave sugar. Nice alternative to eggs. Also, IIRC, a banana is like 100 calories and bacon and eggs probably come in more around 300 (2 eggs, a couple pieces of bacon), so you are eating less food and probably will get hungry later, so maybe be prepared with a couple of boiled eggs for a snack if you need them.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

The concept of carbs later in the day (at least I think) comes from a study done on police officers in israe... or at least this is some of the more recent research on itl:

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem - Division of Marketing & Communication

''The idea came about from studies on Muslims during Ramadan, when they fast during the day and eat high-carbohydrate meals in the evening, that showed the secretion curve of leptin was changed,” explained Prof. Madar.

The researchers found that the innovative dietary manipulation led to changes in daylight hormonal profiles in favor of the dieters: the satiety hormone leptin’s secretion curve became convex during daylight hours with a nadir in the late day; the hunger hormone ghrelin’s secretion curve became concave, peaking only in the evening hours; and the curve of adiponectin, considered the link between obesity, insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome, was elevated. At the same time this dietary pattern led to lower hunger scores, and better anthropometric (weight, abdominal circumference and body fat), biochemical (blood sugar, blood lipids) and inflammatory outcomes compared to the control group.

The findings suggest there is an advantage in concentrating carbohydrate intake in the evening, especially for people at risk of developing diabetes or cardiovascular disease due to obesity. ''The findings lay the basis for a more appropriate dietary alternative for those people who have difficulty persisting in diets over time,'' said Prof. Madar. ''The next step is to understand the mechanisms that led to the results obtained.''
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I wonder if it was your decreased protein intake rather than the increase in carbs. You had half the protein you were used to, so it would make sense to me that you would get hungrier earlier. If you're not hungry for a full meal, then don't eat. I'm not sure what the point of eating nutrientless food would be. You could also look up the hundreds of recipes for Paleo protein bars and try that for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by L0kI View Post
            B/c I'm trying to follow Mark's plan... ? I don't understand the question.
            Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            What is the point of counting things that have little to no caloric value? Simplicity yes, but inaccurate and wasteful.
            And when her answer is that she's trying to follow j3nn's plan, I'll point her in the direction of net carbs.

---------------------------------

Like LauraSB, I'm also hungrier if I eat carby in the morning. Actually, just about anything except a cup/mug of coffee in the AM triggers a hunger response. I learned that a lot of years ago, so I haven't eaten breakfast in the morning for over three decades. I can, however, be coaxed to a lovely brunch on the weekend.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Hmmm... I went through a no-breakfast phase a long time ago then told myself that that was unhealthy (CW) and now I'm so used to it it would be again difficult to change it. I think part of the issue is I've been very stressed with work lately, which does a number on my stomach, so I often wake up both hungry and with an aching stomach...so sometimes something lighter is where my mind is. When I'm not stressed, I'm usually very hungry with no stomach discomfort causing me to waffle about what to eat. Like this morning, first day of vacation, I'm just hungry, not in pain.

And yes, I want to follow Mark's plan, not the other ones that J3nn and Tim seem to recommend/advocate... So I'll stick with total carbs for now, and no rice.

Comment

One of my favorite breakfasts is some pumpkin purée, eggs, a splash of coconut milk and pumpkin pie spice, mixed well. Depending on how much time I have, I either bake it or microwave it. How much I make depends on how hungry I am.

Comment

Why not throw some veggies into your bacon and eggs? I normally do spinach, onion, tomato along with two pieces of bacon and three eggs. If I'm less hungry I will reduce the eggs and the veggies accordingly. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.

I would also change the fruit, bananas are good but low on the paleo totem pole. I would get some berries if you insist on having fruit.

Also, maybe some extra de-stress time before bed will help the underlying issue of upset stomach.

Comment

LOki, I really suggest just trying a protein breakfast with a little bit of fruit (like melon). Have some eggs or cheese. Yogurt doesn't sustain me, personally.

I suspect that you're sensitive to the impact of starch on your blood sugar and that's why you're getting these hunger pangs, and waking up so early hungry. Seriously, since I cut out starch my appetite is like that of a child: completely natural. I eat when I'm hungry. No watching the clock for meal times. No set number of meals a day. It's worth trying, and it's completely primal
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

L0kI, do you like scrambled eggs? They can either be light or heavy depending on how many eggs, ingredients, etc. Sometimes if I just need something to tell my stomach to shut up, I scramble up two eggs with a little dried basil. As little as two teaspoons of grated Parmesan on top gives it tons of flavor. And it's a traditional breakfast food. I'm not sure why, but eggs can totally switch off hunger for me. Not sure (of course) if it works for everyone.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        And when her answer is that she's trying to follow j3nn's plan, I'll point her in the direction of net carbs.
                        Counting NET carbs isn't my concept, it's borne out of common dietary knowledge. Many Primal people don't count it, are they actually following my plan and not Mark's? Ridiculous. There is NO reason to count something that has no effect on anything! If someone is aiming for 100g/day and has 30g dietary fiber, that's 30g of carbs that they could include and don't and may be why they feel like such crap. That extra banana or yogurt with honey might make a huge difference for them.
                        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                          There is NO reason to count something that has no effect on anything!
                          Agreed. If it doesn't end up in the muscles or the liver, it doesn't count.

Comment

That sounds fantastic VH... I will try that!

Comment

I love egg drop soup for a light breakfast, but to get some protein too

Here's what I do:

Bring broth (whatever variety you choose) to a simmer on the stove.
                              Beat an egg or two in a bowl.
                              Drop the egg into the simmering broth.
                              Remove from heat immediately.

Also, this isn't purest primal, but I make an easy almond flour bread. I mix 1 or 2 beaten eggs into about 1/3 "or so" of almond flour that has some salt, baking powder and some rosemary if you like that. Add a little oil if you wish.
                              Place into a bowl (I use a 2-cup pyrex bowl) and microwave for 1 minute.

It is a nice bread-like treat, which I rarely indulge in but enjoy now and then.
                              Last edited by spicegirl; 08-10-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hi yogabear... When you say cutting out starch, you mean no potatoes or squash? I seem to have a little less difficulty digesting those types if veggies than I do with some of the more fibrous ones - I love pretty much all veggies except mushrooms - but sometimes they seem to aggravate my stomach... Potatoes, turnip, squash, rutabaga, yams seem to give me fewer issues. I just don't want to sacrifice nutrients by going off a very large subset of veggies - I'm already taking it a bit easy on my favourites like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and onions/garlic b/c of the stomach issues, if I then remove all the starchier veggies, I'm left with sweet peppers, carrots (meh), celery, cucumber and leafies which can also sometimes bother my gut. Then someone will tell me to ditch nightshades and I'm really f'ed.

Comment

Working...
                                X