What's happened to this forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    OMG, I can't believe you CAVE to shampoo. You are weak, I am SO much better than you as I only wash my hair twice a week, but sometimes I cheat and wash the roots daily because I am a shampoo addict and can't control myself and my husband has his shampoo sitting out and it is so tempting.
    Your husband washes his hair? That doesn't sound like a very manly thing to me....

Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
      I've been a member for a long while, but only pop back here occasionally these days. But I've noticed a real change in the type of responses that posters are getting these days. What's happened? Where has that lovely forum gone with thoughtful, well written answers to questions? Why all the sarcasm and pro-vegan veiled threads. This isn't the place it used to be!
      It has changed. There are many here now who say that paleo is NOT low carb for example. Plus many are very argumentative. Sad.

Comment

• My first post about some tips to alter my macros to help lose weight was answered with

1. Increase carbs
        2. Decrease fat
        3. Decrease cals
        4. Do more more more exercise

I facepalmed so hard I got a concussion and had to be extracted from the wall with a chisel.

That is what I'd been doing which got me overweight in the first place...
        "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

• Me too. I continue to be stunned at the arrogance of the young and lean who think their way works for everyone.
          Starting Weight: 197.5
          Current Weight: 123
          Far healthier!

Comment

• shhhhhhhh...I've never owned Vibrams or any other type of minimalist shoes, cause I consider them to be a crime against humanity.
            Me too. They aren't quite as bad as crocs, but damn, why do weird diets always advocate ugly ass footwear? I still remember the vegan hemp sandals from my vegan days.

I feel like the lean young men who don't get women should be required to post pictures of their abs AND ass (because chicken legs and no ass is telling....)before they can let some poor woman eating 1000 calories a day know that she is counting wrong and actually eating 4000 calories a day.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Badgerfaced View Post

I facepalmed so hard I got a concussion and had to be extracted from the wall with a chisel.
              it was a good workout for the guy who chiseled you out, yeah?
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by janie View Post
                Me too. I continue to be stunned at the arrogance of the young and lean who think their way works for everyone.
                maybe i was already humbled by my own hubris? i had always been slim and active and never had a weight problem til my early 40s. i DID think it was cico, and fought tooth and nail in every cw way imaginable to make it "work". what's that definition of insanity again?

i should be able to brush off the narrow-minded bloviating, but am not always able.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• I will say you meet a lot of people who are fat because they overeat and are inactive. For women, once you get past a certain point, being below 18% body fat is probably going to come down to a LOT more than following PB and is going to end up being something more akin to eating chicken breast, eggwhites and spinach while doing hours of cardio and weight training.

Online it becomes difficult because you can't see the person posting. So many of the older women that are "struggling" to lose weight are often not exactly obese due to overeating, and often not even overweight, they just want to look like fitness models. I think the "bros" think they are talking to the very heavy middle aged woman you see at WalMart drinking a latte and buying potato chips for whom the advice is probably valid.

Like carbs, people are really bad at defining weight. Just as "low carb" on here can mean anything from ketosis to 200 grams a day, "weight problem" can range from a couple hundred pounds to lose to a desire to lose the last 1/2 pound of fat that clings to one's thigh. What you need to do in those scenarios is really different. And a lot of people post what they are eating and well, they do just need to eat less, and then they admit to being sedentary and so yes, they need to move more.

I don't think the "bros" realize that the woman posting about her struggle is often very active/fit, eats a very clean diet and would not be recognized as being "fat" by anyone but a fitness competitor.

Comment

I will say you meet a lot of people who are fat because they overeat and are inactive.
                    Really? That seems to not be the case here at MDA. Seriously, I sometimes wonder if I am the only person at MDA who is overweight because of too much food and not enough moving my ass. Everyone else seems to have a hormonal issue, thyroid condition, be of a certain age/sex/whatever, have a broken metabolism, gain weight merely by reading the word 'food', or ballon up by merely eating a gram of carb/fat/protein. I'm not saying that this is not the case, all of these are possible (except probably the reading thing); it just seems odd in a country that overconsumes crap foods so few people here are overweight because of such over-consumption.

It's kind of lonely sometimes being the only person here who eats too much.

Comment

Me too. They aren't quite as bad as crocs, but damn, why do weird diets always advocate ugly ass footwear? I still remember the vegan hemp sandals from my vegan days.

I feel like the lean young men who don't get women should be required to post pictures of their abs AND ass (because chicken legs and no ass is telling....)before they can let some poor woman eating 1000 calories a day know that she is counting wrong and actually eating 4000 calories a day.
                      Here here!

I did buy some pace glove merrill's the other day though (but I'm wearing heels at work).
                      I'm just not on board with loads of sugar and liquid calories. But from the sounds of things, a bunch of 'pro-peat' people aren't either. So I don't perceive myself as being in opposition to them.
                      Yeah, it's very odd sometimes. You say 'i don't think drinking a bunch of oj and milk and trying to raise your temp and lower your iron are great ideas' and then someone, who has previously claimed to be doing none of that!, gets mad that you are so steeped in CW and can't see beyond your little box or something. But they don't agree either? What is going on with that?

Some people just like to argue

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                        Seriously, I sometimes wonder if I am the only person at MDA who is overweight because of too much food and not enough moving my ass.
                        I think how you became overweight and how you fix it are sometimes different problems. I know I ate crap when I was younger, but I also walked a ton (lived in a city) and got bigger. Fixing it is a whole different ballgame. It's slow. And even sometimes when you are eating well, you don't lose. I lost 20 pounds a year for two years and then just stopped. Now I'm finally going down again and I think it's all about what I'm eating and trying to stay away from wheat because I was working out the whole time and I'm not crazy restricting right now but I'm still losing. I have a fair bit to lose though (not close to fitness model right now!)

Comment

• Really? That seems to not be the case here at MDA.
                          LOL, I mean in day to day life. You know, you see people waddling at WalMart with carts full of junk food. Their issue.... is not likely hormonal.

Comment

LOL, I mean in day to day life. You know, you see people waddling at WalMart with carts full of junk food. Their issue.... is not likely hormonal.
                            I actually think that is totally bogus, along with the overweight person who didn't want to think about why she might be overweight. You could send a "naturally thin" person home with the same food and they would not become obese. (And, seriously, where ARE the comments about the thin people coming out of Walmart with their junk food? Junk food eating is absolutely NOT a habit limited to the obese.) The number of people who eat SAD is > that number who desire to overeat and/or become obese. So while their treatment is not hormonal (managed diet and exercise), I think their disease very likely is. The is something different about them/me.

You take one out of the pack, you go over their social and health history, look at their metabolic markers and genetics. What are the chances you are going to find one who was born to a normal weight mother who was born to a normal weight mother, was breast fed, had normal blood sugar and cholesterol as a pre-teen (if female, not yet shown to be predictive in males), doesnt have PTSD and has beneficial genetic types? About zero would be my guess.
                            “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                            Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              It's kind of lonely sometimes being the only person here who eats too much.
                              Don't worry, you're not alone. I eat too much too. But food is so yummy! Yum, yum, yum!!! I just want to eat, eat, eat, eat all of it!!!! HAH! It's no wonder I can't lose any weight.

My journal

Comment

• Oh my fucking god, some people eat too much and get fat. It is not a disease or disability. I used to weigh 300 fucking pounds. It was not due to eating an extra banana. It was due to Burger King, Little Debbie and Coke. And yes, my shopping cart, pushed by my fat ass had products in it similar to what I see at WalMart being pushed by similarly large people.

I ate too much. Now I eat less and I am much, much smaller. If I had some defect that keeps me fat, I'd still be fat. Now yeah, my body is damned efficient.

I really don't see being morbidly obese as being "unpreventable" or caused by a factor beyond the control of people. I do think it is largely environmental, but hello, clue bus, it is called "JUNK FOOD". And I do know a shit ton of women that "eat healthy" (ie, salad etc.) but then they eat large amounts of calories via wine, coffee drinks, candy and "I shouldn't" desserts.

There may well be some people who's backgrounds are not very helpful. But there are also a shit ton of people who knowingly eat junk and are sedentary and are obese. And they may come to primal, continue to overeat (*now gluten free), stay sedentary and stay fat. They do need to get the message that whatever created their circumstances is somewhat irrelevant- if they want to lose weight, they need to eat less food and move more. I mean, at this point there isn't another solution. All the sympathetic "it's genetic", "it's hormonal", "I feel bad for you", "it's hard", "here is a study about why it isn't your fault" just adds up to excuses that keep people deluded. Bottom line- some people simply need to eat less and move more and it may be hard, uncomfortable and unfair, but if they want to get the fat off their asses, they need to stop making excuses and do the damn work and put up with the discomfort.

I may well be fat because my mama gave me a bottle, but you know what, at the end of the day, I still have to not eat the sweets, still have to count the calories and still have to push at the gym. Simple as that. No magic bullets.

Comment

Working...
                                X