What's happened to this forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    I realize you're being sarcastic but Griff lost over a hundred pounds, reversed his diabetes, and got out of a wheelchair using the plan you are mocking.
    Which illustrates to me that the forums have improved given that despite all that Griff was run off the forum for not being thin enough. I'd say things have loosened up quit a bit since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      Which illustrates to me that the forums have improved given that despite all that Griff was run off the forum for not being thin enough. I'd say things have loosened up quit a bit since then.
      It was a shame what happened to him. He did not deserve to be treated like that after all he had given to this forum including the brilliant Cholesterol Primer.

I heard from some people who keep in touch with him that he did continue to lose weight after leaving. He was just saying that this was not his main goal and got jumped on for it.
      Last edited by Paleobird; 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
        I.E. A discussion of sugar is up, as it always is Now, if you are a 50yo female with thyroid issues, your input on this is very different than a 19yo male trying to get to 7%BF....neither side is wrong, but they WILL start to argue with one another because their start and goals are not even close to the same. This is the root of so many of the arguments on here. It's so simple, but silly.
        unless it's that 19-year-old implying to the woman that she is just too stoopid and "wasn't doing it right." or is lying. when that kind of patronizing misogynist fur starts flying i need an mda break, frankly.

like many public boards, there will always be an ebb and flow and a certain amount of sanctimonious jerks. including some jerks who have taken 180s in my short time on this board. recently there does seem to be more of the "meh, eat whatever" (especially, with regards to grains) tack, but newbies with any sort of critical thinking will hopefully be able to wade through the chaff and get what they need. if lacking that skill they have bigger problems than what's for dinner.

i know the improved health benefits that mda and primal brought to my life. it will not be enhanced by oatmeal for breakfast or mexicoke for dinner.

ymmv.
        Last edited by noodletoy; 08-13-2013, 04:58 AM.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post

like many public boards, there will always be an ebb and flow and a certain amount of sanctimonious jerks. including some jerks who have taken 180s in my short time on this board. recently there does seem to be more of the "meh, eat whatever" (especially, with regards to grains) tack, but newbies with any sort of critical thinking will hopefully be able to wade through the chaff and get what they need. if lacking that skill they have bigger problems than what's for dinner.

i know the improved health benefits that mda and primal brought to my life. it will not be enhanced by oatmeal for breakfast or mexicoke for dinner.

ymmv.
          To each their own. Live and let live and all that. But I'm curious. How does 'taking 180°' in your short time on here (whatever that is supposed to mean) makes one a jerk, unless you meant they were in your opinion jerks regardless? Either way unwarranted name calling, if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            It was a shame what happened to him. He did not deserve to be treated like that after all he had given to this forum including the brilliant Cholesterol Primer.

I heard from some people who keep in touch with him that he did continue to lose weight after leaving. He was just saying that this was not his main goal and got jumped on for it.

It's good to hear that he is doing well. I was sad to see him leave MDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              One thing that always gets me laughing are people who make eating a moral thing. Like the "oneupsmanship deprivation game". "I only eat steamed potatoes and organ meats while you CAVE to the SUGARY BLUEBERRIES!". I remember early on, some dude called me out for cheating because I eat fruit. (I mean, hell on the allowed foods list the creator of the program includes a bazillion fruits).

It's like the one weird time in my life where "fruit", having a piece of FRUIT is regarded by a select group of people as a character flaw.

It's like "I only eat organ meats, walk, lift heavy things, never bathe and have sucked the joy out of my life, so please either praise or let me smugly think I am SO MUCH healthier than the dude eating sweet potatoes, and a banana after his CHRONIC CARDIO 5k Run! Why that dude is DIGGING AN EARLY GRAVE!" Doomed.
              Lol at this. I do think the no shampoo people are judging me (even my hair dresser thinks I shouldn't be washing every day but he doesn't understand.)

I think the sugar is awesome people are judgemental too. 'Youre just mad you can't handle sugar'. It's all nonsense. People do better with tweaks this way or that depending on where they're coming from...it's silly to take it so personally.
              Last edited by lea; 08-12-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• I do think the no shampoo people are judging me
                OMG, I can't believe you CAVE to shampoo. You are weak, I am SO much better than you as I only wash my hair twice a week, but sometimes I cheat and wash the roots daily because I am a shampoo addict and can't control myself and my husband has his shampoo sitting out and it is so tempting.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• shhhhhhhh...I've never owned Vibrams or any other type of minimalist shoes, cause I consider them to be a crime against humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                    To each their own. Live and let live and all that. But I'm curious. How does 'taking 180°' in your short time on here (whatever that is supposed to mean) makes one a jerk, unless you meant they were in your opinion jerks regardless? Either way unwarranted name calling, if you ask me.
                    i have no problem with people's positions changing and morphing. hopefully we all grow.

what troubles me is the sanctimony and misogyny laid forth from certain youngish men towards women over 40. i get fatigued by their insistence that we struggled with weight loss or regaining health because we are too feeble or disingenuous to properly use a food scale, keep track of what we eat or actually exercise. what makes somebody a "jerk" is a) their inability to admit that their n~1 isn't mine and b) that doesn't invalidate my experience.

ETA: if i hadn't done a 180 on eating 4 years ago i'd likely be 200+ pounds and diabetic by now.
                    Last edited by noodletoy; 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

my husband has his shampoo sitting out and it is so tempting.[/SIZE]
                      Hee.

Comment

OMG, I can't believe you CAVE to shampoo. You are weak, I am SO much better than you as I only wash my hair twice a week, but sometimes I cheat and wash the roots daily because I am a shampoo addict and can't control myself and my husband has his shampoo sitting out and it is so tempting.
                        Post of the day
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                          i have no problem with people's positions changing and morphing. hopefully we all grow.

what troubles me is the sanctimony and misogyny laid forth from certain youngish men towards women over 40. i get fatigued by their insistence that we struggled with weight loss or regaining health because we are too feeble or disingenuous to properly use a food scale, keep track of what we eat or actually exercise. what makes somebody a "jerk" is a) their inability to admit that their n~1 isn't mine and b) that doesn't invalidate my experience.

ETA: if i hadn't done a 180 on eating 4 years ago i'd likely be 200+ pounds and diabetic by now.
                          Loved this one. I give advice to women all the time in my job, so I am pretty sensitive to not come off this way, esp in person....if I ever do on here, please call me out.

I think there is a big line where as a guy, if you do happen to be in shape, you have to be sort of defensive about it. You have to be careful giving your N=1, because it is not most anyone else's.

For me, young muscular men and women are their OWN group, and most anything they say for their n=1 doesn't apply much outside of it. I am big on knowing your group and speaking to it. I don't pretend that I know what works for a 40yo female on here. I most always defer on those....
                          Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM.
                          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

• "If the unbounded love I feel toward all sentient beings didn’t color my every thought, I’d say that you’re not thrilled about my attaining enlightenment. In fact, if I didn’t exude pure compassion, I’d say that you’re being a real bitch about my newfound ability to see the true nature of reality."

--From "You Seem Distant Now that I've Attained Enlightenment," By Brian Dunn

Read more, it's pertinent and hilarious: McSweeney’s Internet Tendency: You Seem Distant Since I

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              They sell pig's head in your supermarket?
                              Yep. And Mutton flaps. They hide it away int he pet food section, but I know better....

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              But somehow the dialogue has shifted to where a person who admits they function better with fewer than 300g of carbs a day can be attacked for saying this.
                              Really? I haven't see that.

I think that carbs per-se are fairly innocuous. Some people have medical reasons to want lower carbs, like cancer, epilepsy or metabolic syndrome. Some people have medical reasons to want higher carbs, like thyroid. And some people want to eat less carbs to lose weight without feeling so hungry.

Everybody is their own special flower with their own metabolic problems. I think it's fair to say that for some people lowering carbs is good advice, and for other people, raising carb levels is.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              Seriously, nobody's heads explode like the trolls who happen to be Peatists.
                              I think that part of the problem is that people persist in arguing straw men and taunting people, rather than finding what they can agree on, what they disagree on, and then having a calm conversation at the margins.

I personally think that shellfish, bone broth, gelatin etc etc are great. And I'm not opposed to dairy either (we buy 4L of cream a week, as well as about 5L of raw milk). And on the rare occasions when I bake, I use real sugar, not a pseudo-sugar. I'm just not on board with loads of sugar and liquid calories. But from the sounds of things, a bunch of 'pro-peat' people aren't either. So I don't perceive myself as being in opposition to them.
                              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Lazarus, as someone who works with docs I can tell you that you come across as the exact opposite of the classic asshat doc. ;-)

There is someone here who has no credentials of any kind who does the "you have... and the treatment for you is..." that I can't believe people put up with. Though, he did it to me (when I wasn't even asking a question... Just because I exist) and I let it pass because the fight was just too absurd.
                                “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                                Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Working...
                                X